Do you wash your bike regularly?

Do you wash your bike regularly?

• Yes even though I know it will be dirty again within hours!

Votes: 50 63.3%
  • No, can't be arse as it will be dirty again within hours!

Votes: 29 36.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Was just gonna wash my cx bike but then thought what is the point as it will be dirty again within hours. So....

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Slut.

NickNick

I'm somewhere between the two, I don't wash it any where near as much as I probably should, but once the grot gets too much for me to ignore I get the bucket, soap, sponge and wax (helps me keep it cleaner for longer with minimal effort) out.

gaijintendo

Veteran
If it has rained, I put my commuter in the big ring, big gear, and give it a bounce to shake off water, then wipe it down. I try and give the chain some attention once a week, and it only really needs a clean once a month maybe.

I have a bike I use for long days, or as a backup to my commuter and that gets a little more attention.

The fixie is weirdly my main commuter now, and it gets a wipe if I am adjusting it in some way - which is more often than I had anticipated for a fixed gear bike.

Edit: I was working in a far off office, which was in Paisley, and had no parking facilities - so I ended up having to take the (whichever) bike into the office - and I ended up taking a flannel and getting it nice and clean daily.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
For me it's the salt that needs to come off. It's splattered from head to foot and I hate the thought of it rotting away in the garage. I'll sometimes spend longer cleaning it as I do cycling home from work.

Lonestar

Veteran
Wow.Wish I had the luxury of a garage.

Depending the time of years and bike I wipe mine down every couple of weeks or ride. When its starting to get to an mucky time of year I find do it often means you have to be less rigorous whereas if you leave it too long it takes ages to get it clean to the same standard.

xzenonuk

Veteran
i used to clean my mtb spotless but at the moment im just making sure the drive train is not getting clogged up on both and saving the big cleans for when loads of crap have built up or i need to narrow down a problem,

road bike was due its service the other month the free 3 month service, i cleaned it spotless for it's first time ever after about 450 miles, guy reckons if it makes noises again ill get a new bb fitted lol

other week i took my mtb out in the rain and mud and oiled it before i went out and after i came back i ran the chain through a rag in the dark then re oiled it, came out surprisingly clean looking the next time i took it out :smile:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
It is not uncommon for me to spend 4 hours cleaning a bike I only spent an hour riding

It's also not uncommon for me to look at the commute bike and think "Sod it ! Another week won't hurt"

freiston

Veteran
As #YukonBoy says, mudguards keep it clean (and my mudguards are long and well fitted). The odd mickle of the chain and the occasional wipe with a WD40 laden rag seems to keep things sweet. I might get the urge once a year or so to get a bit precious and go to town but it's not necessary.

When I was younger and bikes were simpler, I'd give the bike an annual overhaul and every set of bearings was treated to a clean and change of grease. The chain was replaced and iirc cables were replaced for various reasons once every two years or so.

Top Bottom