do you wash your cycling clothes every day?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
So normally my wife does the laundry first thing every morning which includes the previous days cycling gear with all the family wash. The familys away for a bit and i am home alone. I dont have much to fill the washing machine so was going to let a couple of days washing build up.....is this bad in terms of the sweat getting really dried in. Its a bit too smelly to just put in the washing basket on the landing for a few days. I could leave it in the garage but maybe harder to get them clean again. Do you wash your kit each day?

Gixxerman

Guru
Wash mine once a week at the weekend.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm home alone all the time. I do a washing when there's enough to fill the machine, which is roughly every 5 or 6 days.
I wouldn't worry about "the sweat getting really dried in". It will be dried in within a few hours anyway, so I doubt if an extra few days will make any difference. Modern detergents and fresh water in a washing machine will soon remove the sweat and grime.

Edit.... The above does not mean I wear the same kit for 5 or 6 days! I change every day, but throw it into the pile of dirty clothes until I have enough to fill the machine.

Last edited:

BrynCP

Über Member
As above I tend to wash all mine once on a Friday so they're ready for the Weekend and the following week.

Even when I was living with my family, I did this, as I wash them on 30C with no conditioner.

Modern detergents and fresh water in a washing machine will soon remove the sweat and grime.

Agreed and no I don't - I make sure I have enough kit that I can go at least 4 days without doing the laundry - ditto gym stuff and day wear - a lot of is not very new expensive or trendy - If I look after it it lasts me for years

*Dusty*

Returning Hero.
I chuck my stuff in the wash after every ride, we are a household of 2 adults and 3 small children so the washing machine is pretty much on the go all the time. I have enough cycling shorts and tops to go on a 3 day rotation, but usually the stuff is clean and dry by the next day.

Venod

Eh up
I just chuck it in the washing machine, the wifes in charge of that, its far too complicated for me to get my head round.

Jody

Stubborn git
First thing I do when returning from a ride is put my kit in the wash, regardless of it being covered in mud or not. If there isn't enough for a load it goes in the machine and waits for the next day as it is on most days. The only time I deviate from this is if we have been to A local jump spot or pump track and there hasn't been much sweating, then I might wear my top the next day but shorts will go straight in the wash.

Sixmile

Veteran
Although I've enough kit to last me around 3 days without washing, most of the time I put my favourite gear on a fast 60m wash when I arrive home from work. It is dry and ready to go next morning and smells fresh. Yesterday I got properly drenched on the way to work and found (and used) a tumble drier in the cleaners store at work. So much better than putting on soaking wet gear at the end of a working day!

400bhp

Guru
My rule of thumb is two hours riding or more clothes get washed.

Wash goes on once a week usually. Commute clothes generally changed once every two days. Weekend kit worn once.

FWIW I use Halo sports wash. No conditioner. Cycle clothes get chucked in wth other darks. Clothes washed generally inside out.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Once or twice a week. I have spare shorts and jerseys and will wait till i have a small pile of cycling kit alongside my other laundry before washing.

::EDIT::

I use Halo wash and hand wash everything

Last edited:
Put my clothes in the wash after every ride. It will get washed within the next 1-3 days depending on the rest of the families' stuff that needs doing.

Top Bottom