Do You Wipes Yours Down?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G2EWS

Hi All,

With all this talk and physical rain, I was wondering if you guys and gals dry your bike off when you get to work, or/and when you get home, or leave it till the weekend.

Best regards

Chris

Drago

Legendary Member
Mine goes in the porch and leaned on the radiator, so I just shake off the worst and let the laws of thermodynamics do the rest.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I clean the rims and brake blocks to remove debris. I also wipe road crap off of the chain, cassette and chainrings. I just do it with a baby wipe! I might give the frame a quick wipe too if i can be bothered.

About once a week I clean it thoroughly.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Work - left in a nice centrally heated office. Back home it's chain wiped clean, re-lubed then washed down with a bucket of car cleaner, sponge and brush and left to drip dry in the garage - this is after each wet day. Takes about 10 minutes only. Also by doing this I pick up any maintenance - like the rapidly vanishing front pads this week with all the rain - gone from plenty of wear left, to very low in 3 days. New ordered.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
mine is left open (ish) to the elements all day so no wiping down when at work and quick wipe down in the evening, mickled once a week and has yet to be Deep cleaned

edit: i have deep cleaned it twice since owning, both times after cycling the coastal roads from mawgan porth to newquay. need to strip/clean/regrease this weekend though to see if anytning needs replacing.

OP
OP
G2EWS

G2EWS

Thanks guys.

So basically it is OK to leave it in the office workshop and then perhaps when I get home tonight I can lightly hose off any crud then dry off with a quick spray of GT85 also wiped off.

Seems sensible and easy to me.

Regards

Chris

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thanks guys.

So basically it is OK to leave it in the office workshop and then perhaps when I get home tonight I can lightly hose off any crud then dry off with a quick spray of GT85 also wiped off.

Oh and regular Mr Sheen - stops the crud sticking (I have shares - well should do) !

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I'm still treating my ride as a nubike so she gets a good bounce and a full wipe with paper towels if I'm in the office, or shop rags back home in the workshop (including the chain and mechs) before a quick re-lube, every time I get her wet (substantially wet that is).

thankfully, as this takes a good 20 mins, it hasn't rained a lot down here since may

OP
OP
G2EWS

G2EWS

Just got back did the small hose off, wiped down and GT85.

Oh the bounce as recommended of course! Also stood it up on the back wheel to make sure nothing was trapped as I went through a lot of rain and big puddles. Also got smothered as a car went through a BIG puddle on the other side of the road on a bend. But my wet weather gear worked. The only bit that got wet was my feet as I did not have my over shoes on!

Tucked up next to all the alcohol in the bar, the bike that is. Just need to make sure it doesn't become an alcoholic!

Regards

Chris

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
J Also stood it up on the back wheel to make sure nothing was trapped as I went through a lot of rain and big puddles.

Ah, as mine take pride of place winched up in the rafters of the workshop, I have ample opportunity to inspect her undercarriage.

...is it me of is this entire thread sounding a bit wrong.

Top Bottom