Dockless bike scheme comes to town

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I’d not noticed this until now- Cambridge market

977D140F-C29C-4E96-86D6-02AA3FE65256.jpeg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Already some variations of forks and front wheels there, @Dave 123!

Have they all been stolen? I downloaded the app paid my deposit and intended to use them in Manchester a couple of weeks ago but for the three days that I was there there wasn't one that appeared free on the app

OP
OP
M

MichaelW2

Guru
Have they all been stolen? I downloaded the app paid my deposit and intended to use them in Manchester a couple of weeks ago but for the three days that I was there there wasn't one that appeared free on the app
After a couple of weeks they are proving very popular. I have only seen one tampered with, where the lock system was sawn off and it was on permanent loan to someone. Last night, cycling back from dinner I met a couple of teenage girls who were having loads of fun riding their yellow bikes.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
https://www.normal.org/1290/Bike-Rentals
I see people use our bike rental scheme(Zagster app) but I figure they are mostly tourists, as the universities have their own, cheaper bike shares, and most of the stations for the bicycle(Fuji Breeze) are near or at the universities.But nice if you arrive by train and want to explore, and that's what I find most people do, as those who can afford $3 an hour can usually afford a bicycle in this community.

Is the Manchester scheme actually going? I can never find a free bike on the app and I haven't seen any around. Should I stay patient or get my £49 deposit back?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Not so popular in China now, according to the Grauniad

Article here;
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...e-graveyard-a-monument-to-industrys-arrogance

(Great picture :sad:)

Bit of a poorly researched article.

Massive land grab going on in the dockless bike market in China with three extremely well funded competitors. They are burning investors' cash trying to get market share by offering very low pricing. One of them went too far and went pop. It isn't reducing popularity that's the problem. It is capacity coming into the market faster than demand is increasing

Having seen it first-hand in a few Chinese cities, dockless bikes are here to stay

OP
OP
M

MichaelW2

Guru
Dockless scheme packs up and goes home. It seems that the volume of their app usage in Norwich was not sufficient to warrant continuing the bike rental scheme. They have removed the bikes and are concentrating on larger cities.

There must be a better model of dockless bike rental, perhaps a franchised scheme so every city or town can run one with the branding and app of a large organisation.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Dockless scheme packs up and goes home. It seems that the volume of their app usage in Norwich was not sufficient to warrant continuing the bike rental scheme. They have removed the bikes and are concentrating on larger cities.
Where did you get that from? Local press strongly implied that London boroughs were willing to subsidise the scheme and the two Norwich councils weren't, so off the bikes go!

There must be a better model of dockless bike rental, perhaps a franchised scheme so every city or town can run one with the branding and app of a large organisation.
Deutsche Bahn Call A Bike? Doesn't even need an app. Nor does nextbike IIRC.

Top Bottom