Doctor Livingstone, I presume?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
This is the story of an epic "getting lost" ride, that sees some of the Glasgow Belles on Bikes looking up at the great Scottish explorer David Livingstone's monument with despair.
Seeking to reach the falls of the Clyde at New Lanark, we ended up at Balloch, on the shores of Loch Lomond instead, about 60 miles in the opposite direction.
What happened is quite simple: we got lost. :laugh:
As the (ahem, cough cough) leader of the ride, I was planning to follow the Clyde Walkway, among beautiful scenery and sun kissed river banks.
All went according to plan for the first 15 miles or so - the wee river beasties were eating us alive but the outdoors in Scotland on a sunny day are worth the blood sacrifice.
IMAG0402.jpg IMAG0400.jpg IMAG0401.jpg IMAG0405.jpg

We arrived at the first coffee stop well overheated. The sun had come out after an overcast start of the day, we had climbed a bigg(ish) :girl: hill, so maybe cold ice cream hitting a breakfast empty stomach was not a good idea: one of our party got ill.
She recovered a bit, decided to go ahead, we ventured further into the route, which now was starting to resemble to a mountain bike trail, very rugged at that :eek:
That was when I discovered that the youngest member in our group, lovely lassie on a road bike suited to the TTF, was the OH of our very own @Edwardoka - my fiance keeps buying me these expensive bikes, she says, but I'm not that confident. He's a really good cyclist, you know, he's in that cycle chatting thing web site ...
Poor lamb, she did really well, we left her at the next train station in a daze, hope she wasn't put off on her first ride with the girls, rides are usually quite mellow unless I happen to be leader :wacko:
By now the Clyde walkway was revealing its dark side: it wanted to spit us out, broken Buckfast bottles producers lurking in the bushes, steep river banks infested by treacherous ancient tree roots:ph34r:
Getting out wasn't easy either, we had to lift the bikes over the gates: no, evil path, you are not keeping my Boris hostage, left abandoned behind to end his life crumbling to rust :cry:
We came out at the famous explorer's monument park.
The little blue bike sign was pointing to an enormous hill.
At the top of the hill, it pointed back down to where we came from, into the next stage of the Scottish Grand Canyon trail.

What happens next will have to wait a couple of days, because I've got a long shift tomorrow, need my beauty sleep :hello:

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Okey Dokey, as promised here comes the second installment of this crazy adventure.
Would you ever believe it: after many hours on the go, my phone battery had of course given up the ghost, so I thought I'd lost the Strava ride details forever - YES!! ha, ha, me too I'm on Strava - when I remember to turn it on, that is :smile:
So imagine my surprise when I turned it on this morning for a wee bit of fun on the commute, the Sunday ride came up asking to be saved!
How it managed to record it all, till the end, when the battery must have been well flat by the time we reached Balloch is a mystery.
All the details of this convulsive outing here. Mind not to choke for laughing now :laugh:

Where were we? Ah, yes, we rode up a big hill only to be redirected back down by NC 74.
One of our party knew the road route to the next stage, we got to Bothwell castle, well known to us from a previous trip, decided to follow the river to Blantyre. Bad move that: by the time we managed to check out of Hotel California, maybe because of the exertion, maybe because of the heat, our friend was doubled up in pain, could not continue the ride.
After about 17 miles on our cycle computers, I realized we were just about 7 miles from my starting point that morning. We walked to the next train station, our friend did not want medical assistance so one of the girls went back to Glasgow with her.
As it was now afternoon, I proposed to ride back the short way, on road.
But NO! That would have been far too reasonable :rolleyes:
From 8 Belles that set out that morning, we were down to 4: in a moment of madness we decided to ride back on the panoramic peril infested path, come what may.
What came to us was this: there was a fork on the path, we forgot the way we came from, we took a wrong turn, we asked a smooching young couple if we were on the straight and narrow, they said yes, they partly lied because it was certainly not straight but extremely narrow, we had to lift the bikes over a precipice while holding on for our dear life onto tree trunks :eek:
Lost1.jpg Lost2.jpg (pictures also previously posted on another thread)

We got back to Glasgow a bit crabbit, especially me, haven't had a coffee for several hours by then: I remember been asked a question, replying "sush, you're putting me off my Strava segment!!"
Starving and tired, we had another moment of madness: why not carry on till Dumbarton, where one of the party abodes, then us last two girls left can take the train home from Balloch - another 25 miles more or less :wacko:
Dumbarton, home also of @Mad Doug Biker ... sorry, Douglas, could not phone, battery deid, brain also deid! (not a spelling error, just Scottish lingo used here).
At the station, we met another cycling pal.
What are you doing here, she said, I thought youse were going to Lanark!
Ehh, we got lost!
Not half lost!!! :ohmy:

I slept well on Sunday night!:tired: Did a mere 19 miles the next day :biggrin:
Cycling makes one do crazy things, innit?

ianjmcd

Über Member
I am leading a wee canal ride on Sunday: can't get lost along the canal ... or can one? :wacko: :laugh:

With you pat anything is possible

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
How thoughtful of you, Phil! :smile:
Alas, I cannot read a compass
Awww, shame.:sad:
girl scout did not exist in my days :sad:
I could get in a lot of trouble making a smart comment here.:whistle:;)

Compasses are easy. The compass always points north. The top of a map is almost always north (there are always some trouble makers:rolleyes: ). From there you can work out if you're going in roughly the right direction to get to where you want to be.:thumbsup:

Ern1e

Über Member
Awww, shame.:sad:
I could get in a lot of trouble making a smart comment here.:whistle:;)

Compasses are easy. The compass always points north. The top of a map is almost always north (there are always some trouble makers:rolleyes: ). From there you can work out if you're going in roughly the right direction to get to where you want to be.:thumbsup:
Or for the really posh GPS on one's phone !

Top Bottom