Doctor Who....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

avalon

Guru
Got up Early to watch it this morning, only to find it had started at6.20am and not 6.50am as advertised.:cursing: I think they were showing it here in Australia at the same time, or very soon after the UK screening time. The good news is that it's being repeated tonight.:hyper:

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
It's a children's programme.

Well, I'm a 30 year old kid, and I still don't get it.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
I guess what I don't get is why Dr Who is still considered relevant over such time scales and why there is such a hoo-ha over the 50th year, other than the BBC is desperate to hang onto any vistage of heritage to cover over the fact that the licence payers fee is being increasingly pissed up the wall now-a-days.

I get that back "in the day" it may have been scary or revolutionary or something. And fair enough, it has a place in the historical cultural archive. But it hasn't moved with the times in times of theatrical experience It doesn't offer any kind of social commentary as such long running series normally/should do. It looks an increasingly amateurish drama.

I just don't get it's appeal. Thats not an attack per se. I would genuinely love for a fan to come on board and explain what I'm missing.

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
But that's my point. Why wasn't it left retired back in the 90's? What bought it back?

I mean I absolutely love the X-Files, but would it last on today's TV only 10 years after it went off air? I'd say a resounding no.

I watched it when I was a child, and never thought it was that good. I have seen some of the more recent years' episodes and it was still fairly average. But it seems like it is well hyped by the BBC and that it attracts a certain audience (much in the same way that Top Gear does, or in the same way that certain people are drawn to feed wild birds whilst wearing knitted garments) who for some reason want to tell everyone else just how good it is - yes, I know...

avalon

Guru
Is this going to build up into some pointless, heated angry debate over peoples taste in TV programmes.:popcorn:

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I thought Day of The Doctor was superb. Absolutely loved it.
The twists, the action, the interplay between the different Doctors, the references to what had gone before...
It's a shame Delia Derbyshire wasn't still alive to hear her theme music being used 50 years later - electronic music before there were really electronics to make it with!
A real tribute to a load of fine actors and writers, and to the idea that good will always triumph over evil, that intelligence beats firepower every time, and that bow ties, long scarves and dodgy dress sense can be cool.
Some people didn't like it. So it goes.

Arch

Married to Night Train
That's us told then.

Well, I think I have as much right to tell people things as any other member of the forum, no? If you don't agree, you don't agree.

I could start going into threads on football and telling people it's just a childish game played by overpaid idiots, but I don't bother, because there would be no point.

Top Bottom