Doctor Who....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't recall being in a cinema where the whole audience remained seated until the closing credits had played and the house lights went up before.

Great stuff!

Oh, and I'm well jel of the woman three to my right who was chuffed to bits to be sat in seat K9

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I don't recall being in a cinema where the whole audience remained seated until the closing credits had played and the house lights went up before.

Great stuff!

Oh, and I'm well jel of the woman three to my right who was chuffed to bits to be sat in seat K9
i hope she kept her ticket... it'll be worth a fortune.. maybe.

As for last night's 50th anniversary... it was OK, although a long way from a 'great' episode, which are few and far between.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I reckon the story line had more holes than the average Aero bar but if you're fed them fast enough you don't get a chance to notice them....

Not that I didn't enjoy it.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
But that's my point. Why wasn't it left retired back in the 90's? What bought it back?

I mean I absolutely love the X-Files, but would it last on today's TV only 10 years after it went off air? I'd say a resounding no.

It was retired in 1989. After years of hope there was the movie in 1996. The fans and DVDs brought it back.

Stepping away from the series there have been remakes, returns and attempted remakes of many other things - the Prisoner, Randall and Hopkirk, Red Dwarf, Blake's 7, Battlestar Galactica and V. I'm not sure how often the tv series should continue, but really it is in the context of many other things. It seems common for many new series particularly in the United states to either get axed or end up running for 7 seasons. What you say may be true of doctor who, but it isn't just a doctor who thing.

A lot of retro series that were shot on film (mostly in the US where things were done differently) have been scanned into HD from film and play around with and released on blu-ray and then tv channels have become interested in rebroadcasting them for the nth time. In future what will probably matter in terms of revenue generated will be whether the current Doctor Who was shot in HD or not. The Easter special in 2009 was the first to be in HD. Sadly in the long run that probably means Doctor Who will generate slightly less money in future than it might do otherwise.

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm not a rabid Who fan, lost interest a bit recently when everyone seemed to get a bit young. I'm looking forward to seeing what Peter Capaldi does with it.

Yes, the show is iconic, whether people like it or not. Deal with that.

Totally agree. I enjoyed the Ecclestone reincarnation, lost interest after watching David Tennant's over-acted bowloacks, and never bothered with Matt Smith.

I reckon Capaldi could be brilliant. Fingers crossed!

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Well, I think I have as much right to tell people things as any other member of the forum, no? If you don't agree, you don't agree.

I could start going into threads on football and telling people it's just a childish game played by overpaid idiots, but I don't bother, because there would be no point.

On The Hour

Kind of sums up most sports for me.

Top Bottom