Doctor Who?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debian

He's called The Doctor. The "who" came from the original series title as in Dr.., Who?

PBancroft

Shaun said:
In that case it shouldn't it be called "Doctor Who?" rather than "Doctor Who"?

I think that was going to be the point of the original series, that "Doctor" was a pseudonym and he was something of a mysterious anti-hero figure, but it was dropped and he simply became "The Doctor"

It's one of those things that you just know in the modern era wouldn't ever make it onto TV. He flies around in a Police Box because of budget constraints, the show is Doctor Who because they haven't thought of a name for him, and after a few years he regenerates into someone younger because the original actor gets a bit too old to read his cue cards.

It's absolutely barmy.

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I know there's been criticism of this latest Doctor, but as the series ploughs on I'm starting to realise that its the script, not the actor that's wanting.

jonesy

Guru
Shaun said:
I know there's been criticism of this latest Doctor, but as the series ploughs on I'm starting to realise that its the script, not the actor that's wanting.

Yes, I agree, I actually felt the series got off to a reasonably good start, but somehow hasn't taken off as well as it might have. I quite enjoyed this evening's episode, but it isn't quite what we've come to expect for the penultimate episode in a series... compare and contrast with the end of Series3 three-parter with the Master.

I'm warming to Smith and tonight's was good, maybe because Amy Pond wasn't in it much but the writing is mediocre.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
The reason they fly around in a police box is because there was supposed to be a gadget that made the TARDIS resemble something normal in the world/time they landed, but it wasn't working in the first episode (early BBC budget excuse) and the shape stood.

The Star Trek transporter is allegedly also the result of a budget issue.

Unable to afford multiple shots of spaceships landing on planets, th transporter was the cheap option.

Beam me up!

dondare

Über Member
Crackle said:
I'm warming to Smith and tonight's was good, maybe because Amy Pond wasn't in it much but the writing is mediocre.

Smith reminds me of Patrick Troughton. (Dr. 2)

This series is better than the ones produced by Russel Davis who wanted to turn it into a showcase for gayness on mainstream TV. The best episodes were always those written by Moffat.

The character of "The Doctor" was written for Williiam Hartnell and most of his replacements haven't really been very Doctorish.
IMAO the best years belonged to John Pertwee with Roger Delgado as The Master.

potsy

Rambler
Start of the series I really didn't like the new guy,as it's gone on I've warmed to him a little but the stories are definately worse than previous years IMO,still it's only meant to be a bit of fun ain't it?

Top Bottom