Dodgy gadget cables

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Some aftermarket cables, particularly from the non reputable suppliers have been been identified as a possible fire risk.

Always best to go with the manufacturer's cable, even if it's a little dearer.
Is that the Apple PR machine in action? When they sell an official lead for £19 when you can get a functionally identical one on Ebay for under two quid, they have to come up with something.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I thought you used whippets.

Not for messages ;)

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Is that the Apple PR machine in action? When they sell an official lead for £19 when you can get a functionally identical one on Ebay for under two quid, they have to come up with something.

Nope. Phone cables are designed to operate at the correct wattage for that phone. Cheap aftermarket chargers can overheat both the plug and the battery. Several fire services have attended to fires caused by poor quality chargers.

It's might look like a white Apple charger, but its akin to a BSO.

EDIT: I should clarify, when I say cheap aftermarket cables, I mean the 99p variety available off a certain auction site.

Aftermarket cables from reputable companies should be fine.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
We had aftermarket cables short out before and burnout and they won’t cheep ones either.
Cheep Apple cables may look same but are not. Many are a fraction bigger which you won’t see with the eye as have been linked to damage of lighting ports. Apple have 3rd party licensing program they are tested to same standard and only use Apple parts they work and last.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We had aftermarket cables short out before and burnout and they won’t cheep ones either.
Cheep Apple cables may look same but are not. Many are a fraction bigger which you won’t see with the eye as have been linked to damage of lighting ports. Apple have 3rd party licensing program they are tested to same standard and only use Apple parts they work and last.
Nobody's denying that Apple have a fanatical following.....:whistle:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Or maybe if you pay 100’s for a phone then are happy penny pinch on a lead that may damage it.
That Don’t make much sense.
Queuing for five days outside the Apple Store on Regents Street to be an early adopter of the latest piece of expensive white plastic doesn't make much sense to me either, but hey!, I'm not a believer.

tom73

Guru
Queuing for five days outside the Apple Store on Regents Street to be an early adopter of the latest piece of expensive white plastic doesn't make much sense to me either, but hey!, I'm not a believer.

i‘ve never queued yet and you won’t find any plastic here either. I’ve not owned a lump of plastic since i ditched my PC years ago.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Had trouble with chargers and HDMI cables.
I usually go expensive now especially as i game a lot.

Spose its a You get what you pay for..

More annoying is the constant changes to charging ports.
New Samsung phone now has a new shape charge plug same as apple "better" but the wife's whawie is different and others use the smaller funny shaped ones.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've had 2 x original cables for my Samsung galaxy. Both have split around the end connection within a year. When they get worn,they have gone from showing "fast charging..120 minutes to full charge" to "cable charging...300+ minutes to full charge".

I bought a pack of 3 braided ones of Amazon for 6 quid and they fast charge all the time and show no signs of wear.

Top Bottom