Dodgy gadget cables

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
when you can get a functionally identical one on Ebay for under two quid,

But how do you tell?

My Asda branded Apple copy cable certainly does not offer identical functionality.

Asda is a reputable retailer and I expect they would give me a refund if I still had the packaging and/or receipt.

Fine as far as it goes, but not being able to play the iPod through the car stereo makes the cable functionally useless, although I suppose I could still use it to strangle a cat.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This might be of interest:
BBC News - Apple may have to abandon Lightning connector cable
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51137069

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Some aftermarket cables, particularly from the non reputable suppliers have been been identified as a possible fire risk.

Always best to go with the manufacturer's cable, even if it's a little dearer.

In some cases the manufacturers' cables are not merely dearer but a blatant pish-take

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've had 2 x original cables for my Samsung galaxy. Both have split around the end connection within a year. When they get worn,they have gone from showing "fast charging..120 minutes to full charge" to "cable charging...300+ minutes to full charge".

I bought a pack of 3 braided ones of Amazon for 6 quid and they fast charge all the time and show no signs of wear.

The braided ones are good. They have failed with my daughter as she winds the cables round the charger without ever un-doing any twists !! The Samsung cables are generally good, but like others have found, the fast charge feature fails first. We've got loads of micro-usb cable around, but they are old, so don't support fast charge.

One of the best things I bought was a little adapter that turns the micro usb into USB-C. It even has a little chain so the adapter stays on the cable when not using USB-C - this, of course, is used on the 'quality' cables. Means less chargers hanging about, that will charge bluetooth speakers, power banks etc and the USB-C phones.

fossyant

I'm quite surprised how good USB C is.

I've just 'wrangled' a docking station at work for my laptop sick of plugging everything in) and the one USB-C connector does video (2 monitors) all the peripherals (as you'd expect) and, POWER - enough to charge the laptop. So 1 cable is all I need now. Fab.

fossyant

Apple paved the way with a connector that seemed a bit more robust, and you didn't need to worry which way round it went - I don't like Micro USB for that reason and it's a bit flimsy. USB-C 'appears' to be as robust, easy to use, and can accept a powerful charging current.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Perhaps, I am being a dinosaur, but, as far as I know USB, was an abbreviation of (U)niversal (S)erial (B)us. But almost as soon as it came along, there was a multiplicity of variations. Not exactly what I would call Universal. Non-standard fittings always work against consumer interests IMHO.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
But how do you tell?

My Asda branded Apple copy cable certainly does not offer identical functionality.

Asda is a reputable retailer and I expect they would give me a refund if I still had the packaging and/or receipt.

Fine as far as it goes, but not being able to play the iPod through the car stereo makes the cable functionally useless, although I suppose I could still use it to strangle a cat.
It's simple. You buy seven random Ebay leads at £2 a pop and see which ones work. ( The duds can be used for cat strangling.) That leaves you five quid to buy a pint and congratulate yourself that Apple failed to rip you off. What's not to like?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
It's simple. You buy seven random Ebay leads at £2 a pop and see which ones work. ( The duds can be used for cat strangling.) That leaves you five quid to buy a pint and congratulate yourself that Apple failed to rip you off. What's not to like?

£5! you can get 2 pints for that, here in the impoverished North East, or, if you prefer, several 1litre bottles of high strength cider. ;)

Top Bottom