Does a worn chain really make that much of a difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Since Christmas my average ride speeds have taken a tumble. The flighty 17/18 mph rides had slowly dropped to the low 16mph avg.
I've been just putting it down to getting older and the less cycling done during the cold dark winter months.
Recently though i noticed my chain was worn and duly replaced it just last week. Since being replaced ive done around 180 miles and my average speeds have jumped right up to the mid / high 17mph again.
Surely a worn chain couldn't scrub that much speed off a ride? as let's be honest I'm not exactly a fast rider.
If that's the only thing that's chainged it must be the chain that's making that difference. Follow the science.

gbb

Legendary Member
I wonder how much of it is down to being a bit more "carefree" on a warm and sunny day?

When it's wet, dull and cold, don't we all take it a bit steadier "just in case"? (this applies to all forms of transport).
I love heat, my body just functions better in it. In the winter, I feel hunched up, my muscles feel constricted, tight. Summer, the hotter the better, I feel alive, cycling in 30 degrees plus, not only did it not bother me...i loved it, averaging 17 to 18 mph over 50 mile rides with a stupid grin all over my face.

Lovacott

Über Member
I love heat, my body just functions better in it. In the winter, I feel hunched up, my muscles feel constricted, tight. Summer, the hotter the better, I feel alive, cycling in 30 degrees plus, not only did it not bother me...i loved it, averaging 17 to 18 mph over 50 mile rides with a stupid grin all over my face.
I'm the only person I know who has a suntanned face in April. It could be due to me being the only person I know who spends an hour per day riding a bike towards the setting sun?

Who knows?

gbb

Legendary Member
As I said, @gbb "if that's the only thing that's chainged" ;)
But it isn't just the chain that's changed. Temperatures have risen between 10 to 15 degrees. Equally, we are not robots, we change, ebb and flow in fitness in small ways, I know in the past, even at my peak, one day I might go out...and it's just not there, I'm not functioning at my best.
Temperature, inner health have to be considered too.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm the only person I know who has a suntanned face in April. It could be due to me being the only person I know who spends an hour per day riding a bike towards the setting sun?

Who knows?

I'm quite tanned on my face and arms already - I spend time outside - always do - lifts my mood.

My refurbed Ribble is running on a significantly cheaper chain than I'd usually use, as: A it was in my spares box, and B: nothing else was at a decent price on-line. It's not what I'd pick as it's grey, not shiny silver. It works fine. I only ever use fully shiny silver chains, no black, no grey, no half plate grey/silver - that's me. Chain's running fine. :whistle:

Lovacott

Über Member
My refurbed Ribble is running on a significantly cheaper chain than I'd usually use, as: A it was in my spares box, and B: nothing else was at a decent price on-line. It's not what I'd pick as it's grey, not shiny silver. It works fine. I only ever use fully shiny silver chains, no black, no grey, no half plate grey/silver - that's me. Chain's running fine. :whistle:

The first chain I fitted last year was a Shimano one.

I hated the missing link. It took me ages to get the locking plate on.

I now use KMC Z7's. Easy to fit and less than £8 each. Boring old grey.

C R

Guru
where do you get your Z7s?
They seem to be as easy to find as hens teeth nowadays.

Amazon from a vendor called "Y Frame Discounts" in Notts.

Currently available at £8.19 each with free delivery.
Ta, have used them before.
Seem to remember there were tw5o qualities of kmc 7/8 speed chains, will have to double check.
I think i paid a fair bit less than that for my last ones but also seem to recall that that was from a german supplier, an avenue now closed.

Lovacott

Über Member
Ta, have used them before.
Seem to remember there were tw5o qualities of kmc 7/8 speed chains, will have to double check.
I think i paid a fair bit less than that for my last ones but also seem to recall that that was from a german supplier, an avenue now closed.
This mob has them as well at £6.65 but I don't know if that includes carriage?

Depor Village

This mob has them as well at £6.65 but I don't know if that includes carriage?

Depor Village
Just checked - it was bike24 I bought KMC Z8 chains (fine for 7 or 8 speed of course) last year.
6.04 euros each.
Carriage was no real issue as it was part of a bigger order and there were also big savings on the other things including a wheel building stand.

Top Bottom