Does anyone else get nervous when they go into bike shops?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The best shops are those that are happy for you to drop in just for a natter, some have been known to even make you a cup of tea ! (Chapeau the late George Pennel of Peebles).

Mine takes me out for lunch.

MarkF

Guru
The staff in boutique/lifestyle bike shops are like those in Lush, bleedin annoying, bonus focused and no doubt under strict instruction to script feed customers HQ generated inanities, and not give up, if they want to remain employed.

Skipton, Shipley and Leeds employ the same opener, they point to a lovely bike......

"Do you like this bike"?
"Yes" (I like all bikes)
"What colour would you prefer"?
:wacko:

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
My LBS browse goes like this:

LBS: Hi Laura! How's the bike going?
Me: Good thanks....I've just come in to drool...
LBS: Drool away! Give me a shout if you want anything
Me: Thanks :smile:
Now that's the type of assistance I'm talking about - friendly and know they're there if needed!

ScotiaLass

Guru
Now that's the type of assistance I'm talking about - friendly and know they're there if needed!
They are great...nothing's too much trouble. I bought my MTB from them and it's been back in for minor adjustments etc for which I've never been charged. I've bought stuff from them which may have been cheaper elsewhere, but the customer service keeps me going back.

sackville d

Veteran
marantz-eq-515-469093.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I generally just go in to get whatever it was I wanted/needed. Bob Warners for wheel building/weird stuff for 'older bikes', Julies for Shimano at good prices and Websters for Campagnolo gearing and Roval wheels (when I built up my 653 'flashy' bike but only cos the frame had a Campy headset and seatpost when I bought it)
If I'm just having a look/drool then I normally buy an inner tube or 2 (always needed)
There are a couple of other shops that are very good though, Cyclops in Syston are fantastic its just too many main road miles to get there from where I live due to Leicester's crap ring road system. :cursing:

Ganymede

Veteran
Might sound silly but I never really feel comfortable in bike shops. I guess it's mostly because I just want to go in and have a good look round but feel pressure to buy something (I'm not tight fisted really!). It's even worse when you get pestered as soon as you walk in.

My last venture into the LBS went something like this:
I walk in - "Hi," says the young bloke in the shop.
"Oh, hi!" I reply.
"Can I help?" he asks.
"No thanks. Just having a look round." Don't mind this - just want to be left alone
"But what exactly are you after?" Getting slightly uncomfortable
"Nothing in particular. Just thought I'd have a look at what you've got in."
"What type of riding are you into?" Feeling more uncomfortable

"Road mainly, but I'm just browsing."
"Can i make some suggestions?" Starting to get a bit cross now but holding it together
"Look. I'm not after anything in particular."
"Well, just let me show you..." I walk out - didn't want to be rude but too much hassle
I've found that being female tends to protect you from bike shop staff giving you any attention at all...

I know the feeling you're talking about but really the best thing is to learn to brazen it out. I have got to know my LBS a little but having looked at a road bike there which I definitely don't want to buy, I am always slightly conscious that I am one that "got away"! I just buy bits and pieces in there from time to time. But a new shop that you've not been in before can be a bit intimidating. The experience you mention probably needed a firm "Thanks, but I really just want to look on my own and will come back to you if I need anything" - you need to practise saying it!

Top Bottom