Does anyone have a partner . . .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I had a gf that I was with until recently that claimed to quite like cycling and walking (things I do a lot in a novice/social but regular sort of way). We went on two bike rides and one walk in the last year. She hated it when I went out on 2hr cycles on my own, especially in the winter some of it she was worried about some calamity happening and some just plain not understanding. I don't think these people necessarily don't like cycling/exercise but how it relates into ones relationship. I got dumped for someone dubbed a "fitness freak" and this leads me to conclude that there was some unknown reason why she didn't like cycling/walking with me.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Joe said:
Text message.

Picture messege is better, which nice dancing girls in the bck ground of the picture.

papercorn2000

fairy said:
TBH dom is right. I stuck with a man who'd never been on a bike in his life for 5 years before realising that I was never going to win the bikes are fun arguement. dont mess her about. it's not fair on either of you.

There you go Dayvo, she's single, relatively intelligent, solvent(ish), presentable and she likes bikes. I'll leave the rest to you mate.

No don't thank me now.

Danny

Legendary Member
Dayvo said:
She doesn't like the idea of me be away for 3-4 months in the winter.
She's planning a two-week holiday to India (with me) next November, whilst I'm planning a 3-month ride across the States (SOLO, which she doesn't know about).

Sounds to me that this isn't really about cycling. You're planning to be away for 3-4 months this winter and then 3 months next autumn. Leaving aside the fact that you haven't even told her about your US trip, being apart so much is not really a basis for a long term relationship.

My partner isn't into long cycle rides, but there are plenty of other things we enjoy doing together. As a result it is never an issue if I want to go off cycling.

I think you need to be honest with yourself and her about what you want out of the relationship - or else end it nicely.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I know. I felt like my Mum when I posted that!

Does feel the fairest way of dealing with it. Breaking up with someone isn't a bad thing in itself but it has to be done properly!!!

Sermon over.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
User76 said:
Be careful though, it's all about timing. Remember you have a few weeks left in Sweden, and so will probably need someone to shag in that time. Your best bet is to keep her sweet, then never go back, it'll probably cost you a few international texts, but she'll get the message when they start to dry up. Leave it til christmas day, then text her a "wrong message" ie, "I'll be there in 10 minutes Sylvia" job done, completely painlesss:thumbsup:;)

You're not my former colleague Rob are you?

papercorn2000

Cathryn said:
I know. I felt like my Mum when I posted that!

Does feel the fairest way of dealing with it. Breaking up with someone isn't a bad thing in itself but it has to be done properly!!!

Sermon over.

;) Sorry,nothing personal meant.

OP
OP
Dayvo

Dayvo

just passin' through
Dannyg said:
Sounds to me that this isn't really about cycling. You're planning to be away for 3-4 months this winter and then 3 months next autumn. Leaving aside the fact that you haven't even told her about your US trip, being apart so much is not really a basis for a long term relationship.

You're right! Before I met her I had planned on going away this winter anyway, regardless. I have even applied to work a season in Norway next year as there is no guarantee my job will be available. 'Whose life is it, anyway?'
I work from mid-March until mid-November and I've only had two weeks off, and work two weekends out of three, getting up at 4:00 AM - and still waking at that time when not working.
Stockholm in the winter is grey, gloomy, cold and wet. Outdoor activities are non-existent and pubs and nightclubs have never been my scene. Hence my need to escape somewhere hot and sunny during the winter months; it doesn't help having SAD, but knowing I have somewhere to go eases/eliminates my mood swings.
Some people need drink, drugs etc. to cope with things, I just need the freedom to find the right environment. A long ride gives me that feeling of freedom and independence I had when I bummed around pretty much constantly when I was in my 20s.

buggi

Bird Saviour
right, i'm gonna be a bit harsh now, but having had my heart severely broken recently ...

DON'T BE SUCH A SPINELESS TW@T!!! Stop using her, be a man and tell her you don't think you are compatible and it's over.

There is NO RIGHT TIME. just go round there now and tell her. and don't phone her first to tell her you need to talk, or you will end up telling her over the phone which is spineless and even if you don't, she will be upset before you get there because she will suss you out and will be all worked up.

the longer you leave it the worse it will be for both of you.

Top Bottom