Does anyone know this cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Cab said:
The video shows Mag taking an appropriate line through a corner; swung out further than I'd have done, but that doesn't mean he's in the wrong. That corner isn't a safe or appropriate place for overtaking, the driver should therefore not be overtakingl. End of story.

I don't see the problem here; you expect someone to not deviate in his distance from the kerb at all? Frankly, any motorist using that as an excuse for dangerous overtaking deserves jail.

:blush: Why do you start stating things that are nothing to do with the question in hand?oh and i think all murderers should be hung,what was the question again?Come on,:o)

Cab

col said:
Your right ,mag shouldnt have overtook to save a few seconds,he should have waited till he was clear of the exit.And thats what he did,a dangerous manoever,im surprised you believe otherwise.

I'd have probably waited in primary position behind the other cyclist. However, Magnatom judged that eh could safely overtake the other guy without endangering himself, the other cyclist, or anyone on the other side of the road. He's smaller than a car, he's less damaging, in his judgement that was a safe manoevre. I can't tell from the camera footage whether I'd agree, but I have no reason to doubt him.

The motorist trying to do the same thing with a larger, heavier, more hazardous vehicle is rather more serious.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Chill guys. I'm chilled. I know Col has some unusual views but I don't think he is a troll or deliberately out to cause trouble. There is room for everyone here.

Cab

col said:
:blush: Why do you start stating things that are nothing to do with the question in hand?oh and i think all murderers should be hung,what was the question again?Come on,:o)

It has everythign to do with it; Mags position wasn't illegal, wasn't even unsafe, it was the guy behind him overtaking inappropriately that imposed risk.

Cab said:
If I'm going at a decent lick in primary position then I expect... No, I require anyone who wants to overtake to wait for a safe moment to do so. Not only do I require it, the law requires it. If I can move over at a safe point to allow overtaking I'll do so, thats simple road craft, but in the 'real world' anyone wanting to overtake me has to go at my speed until it is safe to pass.

Anyone who believes otherwise should get off the road.

That's fair enough, and I don't think anyone's arguing against that (I know I'm not). The issue here is that Mag seemed to pull off the roundabout, back into secondary (nearly) behind another cyclist, then out into primary in front of a car in order to overtake the slower cyclist. If (and I stress that 'if') that is what happened, it's poor roadcraft on Magnaton's part. Fair enough, we all make mistakes, but this is turning into a debate about primary position, which I think misses the point somewhat.

col said:
Im really gobsmacked here,where has all this inuendo and insinuation come from.Its really quite simple,a mistake was made on that vid in my opinion,and you all go off on a different tangent to the actual subject, because you dont like my answer.Did he or did he not make a mistake by swinging out at the time he did?

Don't worry too much about Spindrift Col. He's like this with everyone, in whatever guise he feels like adopting that day. It loses its sting after a bit.

col

Legendary Member
spindrift said:
Your right ,mag shouldnt have overtook to save a few seconds,he should have waited till he was clear of the exit.And thats what he did,a dangerous manoever,im surprised you believe otherwise.

It's "you're" FFS sake, semi- literate and an apologist for boy racers.

Don't lie about what I've said col, misrepresentation of another persons' posts is a gutless, cowardly trick. Wise up and grow up you sad sack self-gratification artist.

Ooo and bag:laugh:
I was simply trying to show that both cars and bikes can make the same mistake,change car for bike and vise versa,obviously you took offence,if i was trying to say you said different i wouldnt have quoted you.:blush:

col

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Chill guys. I'm chilled. I know Col has some unusual views but I don't think he is a troll or deliberately out to cause trouble. There is room for everyone here.

Cheers for that Mag,its a debate pure and simple.:blush:

spindrift

Why is it dangerous to assume a driver is not a homicidal maniac who blasts his horn at anyone who dares share the roads with him?

Have an opinion by all means Col, but when you lie about what's been posted and deliberately misepresent what others have said then, yes, you come across as a dishonest, cowardly self-gratification artist. The solution's in your hands, so to speak.

spindrift

Col is a recidivist cager apologist, who recently tried to imply that my near-death experience with a delivery truck was my fault. I recommend everyone put him on their ignore list.

How do you do this please?

Opinions I can stand, liars pee me off, how can I block this creature's drivel from appearing please?

spindrift said:
Col is a recidivist cager apologist, who recently tried to imply that my near-death experience with a delivery truck was my fault. I recommend everyone put him on their ignore list.

How do you do this please?

Opinions I can stand, liars pee me off, how can I block this creature's drivel from appearing please?

My account - miscellaneous - buddy/ignore list, enter col in ignore list, untick the "check all" box, save list.

spindrift

Brilliant, thanks. Done. I saw that bod's remark on your thread twentyinch. Why these muppets think that jokes about killer drivers are appropriate is beyond me , but he's been plonked.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Ok here goes...

Here are two aerial pictures of the roundabout in question:

1410989771_9f32196455_o.jpg

1410989683_10afdf2152_o.jpg

The first image shows the roundabout in question. The second image shows my line in green, my best guess at the drivers line in red, and where I would cycle to be in the primary position all of the way round in yellow.

Now just imagine I am Taggart and I am explaining the scene of a crime :blush::

Look at the first image. What I want you to look for on the west exit is dirt. Where is the dirt on the road? If there is a preferred path that cars take they keep the road clean and dirt accumulates everywhere else. So looking at that exit you will see that cars don't seem to follow the road marking here. They take more of a racing line, cutting across the lanes a little and cutting close to the left pavement on the exit.

Therefore, it is cars doing this that I have to stop cutting me up. Looking at picture two you can see the line I take. I don't take the racing line on the roundabout as that would bring me into conflict with cars turning right and possibly traveling faster than me. So I stay in the outside lane of the roundabout, but in the primary position to ensure I am visible. I have found from experience that if I take this line cars have two choices, either to sit behind me, which the vast majority do, or to try and undercut me by swinging right into the right turn lane and overtaking me on the roundabout. I have no way of stopping this. That is why on the roundabout I glance back to make sure no-one was doing this. They weren't.

As I exit the roundabout I do not keep primary position, because if anyone decided to take that extreme racing line I would come across the front of them bringing me into direct conflict and danger. Thus I slot into the normal car line which is close to the pavement and from there I follow the normal path that cars take, which again can be seen by looking at the dirt on the road. IMO this is the ideal line, whether or not there was a cyclist hugging the curb at this point. However, if I feel the presence of a car behind me just before I exit and I feel that they are going to pass me too close I sometimes chose to take a more secondary line on exit. However, this is my second choice as this takes me out of the flow of traffic and I then need to try and re-enter it with the problems that entails.

The red line is where I am fairly sure the clio driver went. On entrance to the roundabout he must have taken the right hand lane (which is right turn only), when I was on the roundabout and I looked back he would have appeared to be turning right, which a fair amount of cars do. However, he was going straight on and came off the roundabout at the extreme right of the lane. Had I been in the primary position we would have came into direct conflict much sooner and at a more dangerous angle.

As you can see from the pictures as you exit the roundabout the pavement swings away from the road, i.e. the road widens to allow car parking. This makes it appear that I swing out as I exit the roundabout. I don't I take a smooth line following the normal flow of traffic. This chap takes the wrong lane on the entrance to the roundabout and on the roundabout itself and exits very late and comes into conflict with the normal driving line, and me. Also note that the only other person who was there, the clio driver does not claim that I swung out. I am sure he would have mentioned it if he felt I had.

Now some have suggested that I should have stayed in the secondary position and behind the cyclist. However, as I have explained I was taking my normal line on exit of the roundabout which has over the last two years has served me well. Yes if I followed the same path as the cyclist in front I would not have come into conflict with this chap, but that takes me out of the flow of traffic and can often (although not on this occasion) take me directly into parked cars.

Finally note on exit to the roundabout I do glance again behind and I see the car coming, however, as I am passing a manhole cover on my left I decide not to swing left to get out of the way of the clio. This manhole has a damaged surface around it and ideally I avoid going into it. Of course if I felt in enough danger I could take this course, but on this occasion I felt safe enough to continue on my line.

So final summary, I took a legitimate line, he didn't, and because I didn't hug the curb as he wished he hit his horn. That to me is a bully.

I put this post in preview and I was shocked at how long it was, so in the end I couldn't be bothered fully proof reading it! If there is anything I haven't covered or any questions you have feel free to ask. Although I do have work to get on with today!!

Top Bottom