Does anyone know this cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
You dont need to convince me about primary and reasons for it,but there is a time and place for this,a roundabout exit isnt one of them.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
col said:
You dont need to convince me about primary and reasons for it,but there is a time and place for this,a roundabout exit isnt one of them.

Now that is so completely wrong! A roundabout is EXACTLY the right place for primary, and one of the most important places to maintain it.

col

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Now that is so completely wrong! A roundabout is EXACTLY the right place for primary, and one of the most important places to maintain it.

Not in the way it was done in the vid;)

Cab

BentMikey said:

Theres one roundabout I use with a pitiful narrow cycle lane on two of the exits. They're there so people turning right on bikes can hug the kerb. To use them is to invite very dangerous overtaking; if you're cycling faster than walking pace its insane to use them.

Most roundabouts require that you stamp your authority onto the traffic. Claim your space as visibly as you can and keep it.

Maz

Guru
I normally stick my right arm out when overtaking or going from secondary to primary...makes those behind you realise you're making a concerted effort to pull out and you're not just wobbling around.

well, i think it's a good idea, anyway...

Cab

col said:
I dont think anyone expects a cyclist to pull out into the road as he is exiting a roundabout,it was an unsafe move,and luckily for you the driver saw you do it in time,he will have been coming off the roundabout unaware of what you did,wrong place to claim primary,and then,as it looks on the vid,your goading him to stop,most people would see that sort of action a threat,again,you were probably lucky it was a gentleman:smile:

I couldn't disagree more.

If you're not in primary there, and theres a jerk behind you, he'll pass too close. Fact. Primary is the safest place to be on a roundabout, and cyclists failing to take such a road position is a cause of getting squished.

Brock

As magnatom exits the roundabout he is practically in the gutter here:
magnatom1.jpg

Then three seconds later he is actually wider than primary position thus:
magnatom2.jpg

Surely if you want to hold primary on the exit of the roundabout you should have it already, not just veer across when you feel like it. Magnatom appears to start off behind the lorry in secondary, then take the racing line across the roundabout, inexplicably swerving wide off the elbow at the exit. The first time I watched it it felt unsafe, and regardless of whether the driver was at fault, I certainly wouldn't negotiate a roundabout like that.
At least, that's how it appears to me, helmet cams don't give the best view of the situation I know.

col

Legendary Member
What we are on about is the vid,and it looks to me that he dropped a clanger on the exit.As for primary,if we all did that and didnt expect cars to try and pass,then your not living in the real world,and to expect traffic to go at our speeds,and stay behind us,is well pretty silly dont you think?I suppose an example could be,if pedestrians took to walking on the road,in primary position,because it is theyre right you know,;)i dont think you would be behind them long,and theyre perception of what is a wide enough gap as you pass,is as exagerated as yours is with cars.we would be hearing the same old argument that cyclist are nutters,and dont give enough room.So i think videoing everyday accurances of vehicles passing us cyclists too near,in our opinions,is a bottomless pit,of the same old boring ,normal everyday thing that happens when you cycle on busy roads.
Start cycling safely,and not asserting this belief that you think its safer to block the roads and annoy people who use faster vehicles.Then you may have less hassle on your rides.

col

Legendary Member
Brock said:
magnatom1.jpg

magnatom2.jpg

Surely if you want to hold primary on the exit of the roundabout you should have it already, not just veer across when you feel like it. Magnatom appears to start off behind the lorry in secondary, then take the racing line across the roundabout, inexplicably swerving wide off the elbow at the exit. The first time I watched it it felt unsafe, and regardless of whether the driver was at fault, I certainly wouldn't negotiate a roundabout like that.
At least, that's how it appears to me, helmet cams don't give the best view of the situation I know.

Thats my point,he swings out ,at probably one of the most dangerous places of a roundabout,which will be totally unexpected by an accelerating car coming off the roundabout.It doesnt matter how many names people call the driver ,Mag my friend,you dropped a massive bollock on this one.

Brock said:

That's how it came across to me when I watched it. I wouldn't have chosen to overtake another cyclist there anyway, certainly not with faster traffic coming off the roundabout behind me. It's not an argument about whether you were right or wrong to be in primary at that point for me Mag, it's more about the suddenness of your manoevre. Always allowing for deficiencies in my viewpoint, of course - after all, you were there and I wasn't.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I see what you guys are saying, but in fairness to magnatom, he's simply following the route of the traffic flow in primary. That doesn't always correspond with the lane markings, and it can often be dangerous to ignore the average traffic flow in a rigid adherence to how the lanes are painted.

There still wasn't time or space for that car driver to overtake safely or use the right-turning lane for a cheeky manoeuvre, which is the primary mistake in this video.

col

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
I see what you guys are saying, but in fairness to magnatom, he's simply following the route of the traffic flow in primary. That doesn't always correspond with the lane markings, and it can often be dangerous to ignore the average traffic flow in a rigid adherence to how the lanes are painted.

There still wasn't time or space for that car driver to overtake safely or use the right-turning lane for a cheeky manoeuvre, which is the primary mistake in this video.

No it wasnt:laugh:

Top Bottom