Does anyone know this cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

Alan Frame said:
I would probably take issue with more people if I had your credentials.I don't, so I don't. I thought judo was for self defence, not offence ?

I never have used judo outside the dojo. In fact I have only ever been involved in one fight in my life, at secondary school. A friend put chewing gum in my hair! Of course I won and we were friends again afterwards. So a good result ;)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

vernon said:
Directed to the original poster just to remove any ambiguity.

I find it hard to believe that you hid behind cyclecraft when tackling the motorist yet display a video of yourself undertaking a lorry. If you want to use Cyclecraft as a weapon then live by its advice.....

Your video was quite entertaining. The motorist had the upper hand with the wit and repartee in my opinion.

Had I been the motorist I'd post links to all my friends and share the mirth around.

Didn't hide, I was just trying to explain why I was, where I was in the road. I wasn't trying to be funny. Sorry. Next time I will insert a few jokes for you. I used cyclecraft as a reference, not as a weapon. Although, maybe that's a good idea. I could carry around a copy and hit people with it if they annoy me....;)

Yes I made a mistake. I admitted it. Are you perfect. I'm certainly not.

As for posting it your friends. Fair enough. Your prerogative. Water off a ducks back.;)

bonj2

magnatom said:
Bonj, are you the type that believes in conspiracy theories? :biggrin: The only connection I have with this guy is that at that point in time we were in the same bit of road.

Seriously how difficult would it be to set that up. Do you think I knew the other cyclist as well and that I had all the other traffic waiting for me to shout 'action' !!;)
The other cyclist could easily have just been coincidental - he wasn't essential to the 'storyline', he was just an extra. You could just as easily have justified 'claiming primary' without him.

magnatom said:
We've talked about this one before on another thread. First Bus looked at their own video footage and agreed with me. The chap was retrained. If my chat with the driver is what you would call an argument, then you really don't want to be near me when I really have one!!;)

It sounds to me like an 'argument' is something you set out to achieve.

frog

If he's the cyclist he professes to be then he'd know Rule 139 (Overtaking) . . leave as much room when overtaking a cyclist as you would a car. and Rule 189 Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as draincovers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room.

In my view he's a f*&king liar and knows jack sh1t about cycling. His attitude to other road users is deplorable. If he'd spent as much effort driving around you carefully, as he's supposed to do, then he'd not have use for the horn.

The really deplorable thing is he actually believes he has the right to treat 'lesser' road users in this manner. I only hope he can see the connection when a bus cuts him up in his little piss-ant motorised shoe box.

Chris B

Not wanting to have a dig but you lot videoing your commutes seem to be in as much of a hurry with as little regard for safety and common sense as the car and bus drivers that you're critiscising. I struggled to see any great problem with either video - the first is a 50/50 where the rider pulls out to overtake on a roundabout exit as does the driver, the second is a normal overtake for a bus where I live, just accept that you need to cover your brakes in case. If you rode more defensively rather than aggressively you'd encounter far less conflict and might have a less stressful commute.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I dunno where you ride, but for me in central London that's a once in six months bad overtake experience, assuming you're referring to my video. There's no excuse for that sort of driving IMO.

Trying to suggest I should ride more defensively is a good idea, but isn't appropriate or applicable here because I was already doing that, which is why I prevented the bus driver from hitting me.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Chris B,

Ridding in the primary road position is defensive, by definition!

I would like to point out that I must be doing something right. Although I have had incidents where cars/buses etc pull out squeeze me etc I have never had an incident where I felt that I was in danger of injury (except where I skidded on a wet manhole cover ;)).

It is often safer and less stressful to cycle more quickly thus keeping up with traffic. There are parts of my commute where I travel 30mph (ok downhill!) and I am surrounded by cars travelling at approximately the same speed. I have never had any conflict with anyone in this situation and this is the most enjoyable part of my ride.

With regards to the video, would you overtake another car if it was overtaking on the exit of a roundabout? Should cyclists receive any less room and respect?

Chris B

Bent, I commute 5 miles in Bristol down the main A road into the centre. Maybe your video doesn't reflect how serious you think it is but I'd say that I have a near bus-bike interface like that at least weekly.

Magna, maybe defensive is the wrong word. Protective riding might be a better description, protective of your welfare that is rather than road position and equal status.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Chris B said:
Magna, maybe defensive is the wrong word. Protective riding might be a better description, protective of your welfare that is rather than road position and equal status.

I take that road position because is is the most protective/defensive (same thing really!). Have you read Cyclecraft?

I would also like to point out, that I don't treat Cyclecraft as a bible. Yes of course you need to assess situations, risks etc for yourself. I do that. However, I find Cyclecraft does provide excellent guiding principles which I try my best to follow.

Chris B

No I've heard of it but not read it. Where do you get it on pdf?

What would it add to my 30 years cycling and 17 years driving experience? Most of sensible cycling is common sense i.e. they're big metal boxes and I'm a lump of flesh = I'll be cautious.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Chris B said:
No I've heard of it but not read it. Where do you get it on pdf?

What would it add to my 30 years cycling and 17 years driving experience? Most of sensible cycling is common sense i.e. they're big metal boxes and I'm a lump of flesh = I'll be cautious.

Chris,

I'm sure you would agree that we all continue to learn despite our experience. Who knows what you might learn! The chap that wrote it is very knowledgeable!

You would have to buy it I'm afraid. Have a look here http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk

You know, the more I read about helmet cams, the more I'm convinced that they give a rider a false sense of security.
I'm sure they can be useful in certain circumstances, but is there not a danger that the rider could be led into confrontational situations simply because of the psychological boost that he/she will be backed up by the footage taken ? Having a camera pointed up their left nostril will deter the ordinary person in the street from aggression, but may well have no effect whatsoever on the serial road rager.
In my book, self preservation is the name of the game, so seeking confrontation is best avoided. I keep my aggression for when there is no alternative.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Wow, had quite a time reading all the responses to this. After my initial post on this and looking at the video a couple more times, I might be changing my point of view on this, so Magnatom, take this for what it's worth!

1. When Magnatom was just about to exit the roundabout, it looks like he was not in primary position relative to the kerb (can't tell 100% from the video, but it looks like that). That would seem to allow adequate room for the driver to overtake (again, hard to tell, it just seems from the video there was).
2. Then I'm not sure Magnatom did an adequate shoulder check or had time to confirm he could overtake to the right of the manhole cover.
3. Even if it is legal, I'm not sure it's a good idea to (on a bicycle that is) to overtake another road user (unless I had to) exiting a roundabout, and double that up with the manhole cover being a further hazard. Too much depending on the driver behind you.

Having said all that, I do still stand by the fact the driver wasn't driving well and appeared to be impatient; I know if I saw a cyclist exiting a roundabout with a slower cyclist in front as well as a manhole cover on the road, I'd be in absolutely no hurry to overtake at that point.

What doesn't come across from the video is how abruptly or not Magnatom swung out (if he did), or the speed of the car (could that driver has braked to avoid overtaking or was he committed by then and surprized by Magnatom overtaking?).

But I think to avoid this situation, usually I wouldn't overtake another road user exiting a roundabout -the problems are that road positioning isn't 100% defined or sorted out at that point, and motorized vehicles are tending to accelerate after encountering the roundabout. I'd wait until traffic and road layout becomes more consistent and predictable.

spindrift

These drivers who use their cars as a weapon are beyond belief- both the bus driver and the "cyclist" driving the car clearly don't have a clue what the HC says with regard to cyclists. Bravo for posting these magna, if it makes one stupid, aggressive idiot driver like those two take more care then you've done well.

Both clips of films show drivers flouting the HC and placing vulnerable road users' lives in danger... for what? A few seconds shaved off their journey time? Is it worth it, really? Why does it offend those two drivers so much that they will threaten and intimidate other road users for no discernible gain?

The excuses used by speeding drivers or the idiots in the clips above are predictably boring: "I am a safe driver, I know best, you are a cyclist and therefore automatically not as important". It's an attitude that kills people daily and whilst slowly and over time speeding is becoming to be seen as as recklessly stupid as drunk driving it's gonna take evidence of the kind magna's posting to make people realise how freaking stupid these drivers' actions are.

habibi

I only have one standard response for these drivers.

"what the **** are you playing at?"

[motorist spouts garbage about cyclists should be in the gutter]

"No, i'll tell you what. You're a ****ing bully in a cage. Try that again and i'll ****ing have you, son".

I've never met a motorist that didn't instantly back off after that. Maybe one day I will. Reason with them? No point. They believe they are superior road users, the ubermensch of the public highway, and no amount of reasoning changes their minds.

Top Bottom