Does anyone know this cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Maybe I see it differently from some others who posted......

It looked to me like you were overtaking that cyclist, and you were well out into the road to do so, quite rightly. Mr-I'm-a-cyclist-driving-a-car-but-I'm-in-a-hurry-and-can't-wait-2.41-seconds then proceeds to overtake you and looks like he crossed the white line.

My interpretation: his fault. Can't he have waited those few seconds to let you pass that other cyclist and for him to get a safe place to overtake you? Was it that big of a deal? Couldn't he see that other cyclist? That you were overtaking? And, if he is a cyclist, couldn't he extrapolate the fact there may have been a poor road surface which is why you were cycling in the position you were?

Lord, heaven forbid a cyclist slows a car driver down by n seconds. But I do agree with other comments about taking this to the police, I really can't see them doing anything about it, rightly or wrongly as the case may be.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Nah, don't take it that way dude. I'm pretty much completely with you, my point was only that you left the tiniest of suggestions of an opening, and the muppet took advantage. You didn't do anything wrong, but you might have been able to make a tiny improvement for next time.

I know what you mean about bad lane discipline, particularly on gyratories and roundabouts. Drivers here in London are terrible at it, no wonder with the lack of traffic policing.

bonj2

I don't understand what he did wrong. As in most of your videos. It may have felt like he was too close to you at the time, but that doesn't come across well enough on a video.

I'm sorry, but I find it quite comical watching you frantically trying to signal for someone to pull over because they beeped you. And then to remonstate with them. If I did that every time someone passed close to me or beeped I'd never get to work. It's far easier to do it on the move.

I'm sure if you ditched the camera you'd be far less confrontational.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

bonj said:
I don't understand what he did wrong. As in most of your videos. It may have felt like he was too close to you at the time, but that doesn't come across well enough on a video.

Ask yourself this question: how much space should you leave when overtaking a car? Is at least a metre reasonable?

How much space should you leave when overtaking a cyclist? Remember that a cyclist is more vulnerable, more likely to wobble, more likely to avoid pot holes etc. So lets say a metre at the very VERY least, probably more.

On this particular occasion I went to the right of the lowered manhole (and to the right of the poorly repaired surface surrounding it. I probably went about 20cm to the right of it at a guess. There is probably about 2 metres of road to my right before the white line, the clio is about 1.7m wide and crosses slightly over the white line, say 50cm. So by my reckoning about 80cm to my right. Too close, but yes not the worst by any means.
(Check out the car which I can touch in this video

aat about 1m20secs and tell me that wasn't too close and the JEM carpet van at the start!!)

However, he proceeded to toot his horn at me and wave his arms, so I followed to find out what his problem was. Turned out I was too far out on the road!

My road positioning is my choice and he has no right to hit his horn to tell me to get out of his way. He is a cyclist, so he should know better!!

So Bonj, point out what other videos you have an issue with.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

joebe said:
I'm sorry, but I find it quite comical watching you frantically trying to signal for someone to pull over because they beeped you. And then to remonstate with them. If I did that every time someone passed close to me or beeped I'd never get to work. It's far easier to do it on the move.

I'm sure if you ditched the camera you'd be far less confrontational.

Glad I entertain.;)

Of course I don't often do that and I often have cars who pass to close. However this chap passed too close, overtook when I was overtaking someone else, and hit his horn and waved his arms at me. So at the time I was annoyed.

As I've said before, I hate bullies. Always have. This chap was bullying me so I thought I'd have a word. That is just who I am, and yes I am like that when I don't have the camera on. Makes no difference. My wife does growl at me a little (oo-er) when I make comments, point at mobile phone holding drivers etc when I am not on my bike so if you need proof that I do it just ask Mrs Magnatom (and no I don't play up just for the wife!!)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I'm Magnatom. You're on Youtube. Goodnight.

I have considered getting a card to hand out. I think you have just provided the wording...:laugh:;)

If you get me, could you let me know, I haven't quite worked it out yet ;)

Let me try and explain for everyone why I post my videos.

I post these videos as a sort of journal of the problems that a typical cyclist might face on the roads. In my ideal world everyone on the roads would give everyone else respect. That doesn't happen, and often (though certainly not always) cyclists are the victims. I want to do my bit (a very small bit) to share my experiences and to see if I can improve my own cycling experiences and with the help of others maybe improve the lot of cyclists in general.

For example from this video is an example of an impatient driver, who couldn't wait 15 seconds for a safe gap to overtake. Having a word with him provided an insight into what he thought I did wrong and what he thought I should do next time. It is important that we know what drivers think if we are to co-exist with them. Personally I learned that at this roundabout I should be more assertive under similar situations, i.e. to take a firmer line.

Now I will admit that these thoughts didn't go through my head at the time of the incident, but that is my reasoning for posting it on the web. Some may ridicule me, others may think I am a interfering twat (God forbid :biggrin: ). However, in my own mixed up way I'm just trying to help.

Of course if people think that I do more harm than good I will go away and have a wee cry ;)

Actually, no I won't!! :biggrin:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That nethalus has just come on my scary bus overtake video and started commenting. Apparently I was showing road rage, and the bus driver did nothing wrong. LOL!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

BentMikey said:
That nethalus has just come on my scary bus overtake video and started commenting. Apparently I was showing road rage, and the bus driver did nothing wrong. LOL!

;) Youv'e taken a lot of flak (all rubbish of course) with that video! I can't understand why. It was very clearly bad driving on the bus drivers part. What came of your complaint?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yeah, I can't beleive the ignorance and/or bias in many of those responses. If any of you have youtube accounts and a bit of spare time, I'd appreciate your comments on the video and rating +/- on the comments already there.

Std bus company response otherwise, with the flyer that apparently the video didn't completely agree with my complaint. Frustrating, because they refused to tell me how or why. I'm hoping that they did actually interview the driver, because all I'm actually interested in is that he changes his behaviour towards cyclists and other vulnerable road users in future.

This is normal in London.Generally I try to keep well out of the way and rarely overtake if there is a car close behind as it is so unpredictable what they will do.There are zillions of slow cyclists or newbies so I tend to hang behind them.Doubt if I would have overtaken where you were if I was aware there was a car behind me.I dont trust the buggers.

They have no patience here.

Top Bottom