Does anyone know this cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Directed to the original poster just to remove any ambiguity.

I find it hard to believe that you hid behind cyclecraft when tackling the motorist yet display a video of yourself undertaking a lorry. If you want to use Cyclecraft as a weapon then live by its advice.....

Your video was quite entertaining. The motorist had the upper hand with the wit and repartee in my opinion.

Had I been the motorist I'd post links to all my friends and share the mirth around.

Yes I am a cyclist and a motorist but I don't go around making a tit out of myself with a helmet cam. Come to think of it I don't have a helmet or a cam.

A bit of a mountain fabricated from a bit of a molehill but it adds to the humour category of Youtube I suppose.

I don't take cyclecraft as gospel.It isn't the bible.It's meant for hints and tips which can be useful but sometimes.Different situations require different methods.I would never quote it to a motorist and never have.

Would also be interesting to get some motorist views on here.

That bus overtake was normal generally if a bus overtakes me I generally expect him to pull in front of me and generally they don't disappoint.;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I think the point is that we all make mistakes. The difference is that magnatom is willing to show his, accept criticism, and learn from them, as well as help others to improve via watching his videos of everyday cycling experience in the UK.

Since you don't want to "make a tit of yourself", I assume that means you know you also make mistakes, and don't want anyone else to know about them. I hope you have the self-honesty to recognise them and learn from them.

col

Legendary Member
What im curious about,is why you overtook,on a busy roundabout exit,and then called a driver because he passed you?;)

Since you don't want to "make a tit of yourself", I assume that means you know you also make mistakes, and don't want anyone else to know about them. I hope you have the self-honesty to recognise them and learn from them.
If this is aimed at me then im sure I make a tit of myself quite often.I overtook a bus today in a race with three cyclists and was thinking afterwards and even at the time with the space available that it wasn't probably the best thing to do at the time.;)

Oooops sorry see what that applies to.;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
col said:
What im curious about,is why you overtook,on a busy roundabout exit,and then called a driver because he passed you?;)

I think there was plenty of space for one overtake given that they were both cyclists, and probably quite safe to do so. I would imagine magnatom would have been quite happy with the car driver overtaking there if he had been in secondary without the other cyclist around, given that it's quite a wide roundabout exit. The problem comes when the muppet car driver overtakes magnatom with too little space, and magnatom is already overtaking someone else. That's not very good at all.

Terminator, oops, sorry not you, but Vernon!!! And I too make a tit of myself regularly.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
col said:

Terminator said:
You say probably but certain motorists make it dangerous to do so.

I meant the initial overtake of the unknown cyclist by magnatom there, in response to Col's post above.

magnatom said:
Nah, it's judo I do. I suppose I could slip in a hadaka jime from the side.....;)

I would probably take issue with more people if I had your credentials.I don't, so I don't. I thought judo was for self defence, not offence ?

col

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
I think there was plenty of space for one overtake given that they were both cyclists, and probably quite safe to do so. I would imagine magnatom would have been quite happy with the car driver overtaking there if he had been in secondary without the other cyclist around, given that it's quite a wide roundabout exit. The problem comes when the muppet car driver overtakes magnatom with too little space, and magnatom is already overtaking someone else. That's not very good at all.

Terminator, oops, sorry not you, but Vernon!!! And I too make a tit of myself regularly.

It looks like he swings out in front of the car as he is coming of the roundabout,overtaking the cyclist too early,in a dangerous place,then blames the car he cut up?;)

I don't think I'd have overtaken a cyclist on a roundabout exit when being followed by faster heavier traffic. Allowing for things we can't see because of the limitations of the video, it did look to me like you pretty much pulled out into the path of the car, the driver of which then proceeded to honk at you.
I notice someone claiming to be the driver has posted some comments on your video ... quite entertaining.

bonj2

magnatom said:
Ask yourself this question: how much space should you leave when overtaking a car? Is at least a metre reasonable?

How much space should you leave when overtaking a cyclist? Remember that a cyclist is more vulnerable, more likely to wobble, more likely to avoid pot holes etc. So lets say a metre at the very VERY least, probably more.

On this particular occasion I went to the right of the lowered manhole (and to the right of the poorly repaired surface surrounding it. I probably went about 20cm to the right of it at a guess. There is probably about 2 metres of road to my right before the white line, the clio is about 1.7m wide and crosses slightly over the white line, say 50cm. So by my reckoning about 80cm to my right. Too close, but yes not the worst by any means.
(Check out the car which I can touch in this video

aat about 1m20secs and tell me that wasn't too close and the JEM carpet van at the start!!)

However, he proceeded to toot his horn at me and wave his arms, so I followed to find out what his problem was. Turned out I was too far out on the road!

My road positioning is my choice and he has no right to hit his horn to tell me to get out of his way. He is a cyclist, so he should know better!!

I'm not saying the car didn't overtake too close, I'm just saying that if he did, you can't really tell that from the video - so it doesn't really make great entertainment, as it just looks like one minute you're cycling along, next minute a black clio comes into shot from stage right. Next minute you're pointing left in front of the camera - which incidentally I had no idea what that was for until another poster revealed it was to try and get the clio driver to pull over!
Which, come to think of it, is suspicious in itself: what car driver who doesn't respect cyclists enough to give them enough room when overtaking then looks in his rear view mirror to see if he's offended them and pulls over if he has?! Which is why I put it to you that this is actually your mate acting - at the very least only having an argument with him for the benefit of the camera.

magnatom said:
So Bonj, point out what other videos you have an issue with.

That one you posted up a video of a bit ago where a bus allegedly overtakes and tries to "bully you off the road" by pulling into a stop. Like I say, it could have been dangerous, but on the video, it just looks like a cyclist's view of the road, followed by a bus stop, and then a bus appears on the right, then you pull ahead of the bus, and then later on it you pull up next to it and, yep, you guessed it, have an argument with the driver.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

For the record. I was in the correct lane for going straight on at the roundabout. I was in the primary position in the lane and as I came off the roundabout I continued to claim the primary position. I didn't swing, but followed the primary position all the way around. The reason I did not expect this chap to appear was because behind me, he took the lane for a right turn (it is marked as such). He obviously took this lane with the intent of overtaking me, i,e, he had probably decided to do it before the roundabout and had therefore committed himself early. I had assumed that he was turning right. However, out of recognition that some drivers ignore this and that I was passing a slower cyclists, which there was plenty of room to do, I kept the primary position to discourage any overtaking, due to oncoming traffic. My mistake was that I did not go out far enough, not as the driver said, that I was out too far. He passed to close hit his horn and waved his arms at me, whilst doing a dangerous maneuver. Yes I have seen worse driving, but as I have said before, he was attempting to bully me.

As Bentmikey suggested I normally take the secondary position here, unless there are cars parked close to the roundabout exit. On this occasion they were further away, however, I took primary to give the other cyclist plenty of room as we should do when they are hugging the edge (suggests a novice cyclists, and in fact I have only seen this lady cycling recently).

I have suggested to this chap on youtube that I could provide him with my spare copy of cyclecraft. We will see if he accepts.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

BentMikey said:
I think the point is that we all make mistakes. The difference is that magnatom is willing to show his, accept criticism, and learn from them, as well as help others to improve via watching his videos of everyday cycling experience in the UK.

Well said Bentmikey. I don't post these videos expecting glory and praise. Often I do get criticised. Thats great. If someone has a genuine criticism of my cycling please feel free to let me know. We all might learn something. For those that call me a tit etc, I am more than happy to meet, have a chat, and a beer (you'd be buying of course ;)) and then if at the end of that you still think I'm a tit then fair enough. Hopefully you'd change your mind. It can be hard via internet forums to work out how genuine someone is or not. Honestly I am!!

I'm just trying to make a difference, my own way. For those that call me a tit etc, in what way are you trying to make a difference?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

bonj said:
Which, come to think of it, is suspicious in itself: what car driver who doesn't respect cyclists enough to give them enough room when overtaking then looks in his rear view mirror to see if he's offended them and pulls over if he has?! Which is why I put it to you that this is actually your mate acting - at the very least only having an argument with him for the benefit of the camera.

Bonj, are you the type that believes in conspiracy theories? :biggrin: The only connection I have with this guy is that at that point in time we were in the same bit of road.

Seriously how difficult would it be to set that up. Do you think I knew the other cyclist as well and that I had all the other traffic waiting for me to shout 'action' !!;)

That one you posted up a video of a bit ago where a bus allegedly overtakes and tries to "bully you off the road" by pulling into a stop. Like I say, it could have been dangerous, but on the video, it just looks like a cyclist's view of the road, followed by a bus stop, and then a bus appears on the right, then you pull ahead of the bus, and then later on it you pull up next to it and, yep, you guessed it, have an argument with the driver.

We've talked about this one before on another thread. First Bus looked at their own video footage and agreed with me. The chap was retrained. If my chat with the driver is what you would call an argument, then you really don't want to be near me when I really have one!!;)

Top Bottom