Does anyone know this cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
I'm soory you still think that. I can't understand how you can say his manouver was fine when he went in the wrong lane on the roundabout with the aim of overtaking. That is bad driving full stop.

Answer just one question, if he did this on his driving test would he fail? If the answer is yes, then this was bad driving.

I've never said he was a boy racer, and bullies all take different shapes and sizes.

Anyway, maybe we just agree to disgree.

Dont get me wrong Mag,im not having a go at you perse.I just think you made a mistake,nothing more.If you truly feel you did not,then ill agree to disagree (again;)) too.As it seems a couple of members take it to heart and get annoyed if i wont accept their version of events.:blush:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I must admit I rather dislike the sort of sloppy lane discipline exhibited here by the driver. I see it all the time, particularly on Hyde Park Corner and the Vauxhall gyratory. Stuff like cabbies coming from the nearside lane from Knightsbridge, going to the offside lane around the RAB, and back to the nearside to exit onto Constitution Hill. Bear in mind this involves crossing 4 lanes of traffic, screwing the flow up completely, and is done lots of times.

Road Fiddler

Bloody hell this thread has moved on.

When i first watched Mags video i didn't see much of a problem, as someone else said i thought he was slightly over reacting but i had my new cam on the back of my bike today and was overtaken very close by a car whilst i was over taking a couple of cyclists, he was so close i had to move my bars into the space behind his wing mirror to give the other cyclist room. When i looked back at the footage it looks as if there is sheds of room.

Seeing this has helped me understand Mags reaction to Mr I am a cyclist, his car was closer than what appears on the screen

yenrod

i get that occassionally = 'too far out' in fact quite a lot...you know when you are when A: the driver can't get passed B: they look in the mirror, once passed OR C: they don't bother going past you just through you or soo close its taking the piss and warrants a little word.

I can see why you did it Mag' - things can get pretty stupid on the orads because the car driver is not totally able to see things like we can...as much as Its fun its ****ing irritating ! :blush:

bonj2

That colleague of mine who wasn't confident on the roads was telling me about his latest cycling lesson last night.

His instructor had him practicing junctions. The instructor said that it's essential that at a juction you are in control of your road. His advice was to take a left turning/roundabout exit in the middle of the road, as you need to anticipate the possibility of a parked car being around the bend. If you're out in the road you are minimising the risk of a following car trying to overtake, while also removing the possibility of you finding yourself stuck behind a parked car with nowhere to go.

I still think people should have actors deliberately doing dodgy overtakes to see how they handle it.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

bonj said:
I still think people should have actors deliberately doing dodgy overtakes to see how they handle it.

Whats the point. There are plenty of real dodgy overtakes so no need to fabricate new ones.

Have you worked out which bit of the road is the dirty bit yet?:blush:

Cab

Had two blokes in a white van yell abuse at me today. All I'd done was stayed in the middle of the road and not let them overtake for a while, and I only did that because parked cars on either side were bumper to bumper, the road was littered with speed humps and it was neither safe nor convenient for them to pass. They tried to overtake while I was in strong primary behind another car at the junction at the end of the road, they had a good look at overtaking as I kept primary at the two blind corners before that junction, and when I let them pass (first safe opportunity to do so) they unleashed a torrent of abuse. I'll admit that I responded with a simple "You're £uc4ing idiots, get off the road!".

Thing is, you do all the right things and you get abuse. You don't do the right thing you'll get less abuse, but you'll be far more in danger due to people overtaking dangerously.

Brock

magnatom said:
I'm soory you still think that. I can't understand how you can say his manouver was fine when he went in the wrong lane on the roundabout with the aim of overtaking. That is bad driving full stop.

Answer just one question, if he did this on his driving test would he fail? If the answer is yes, then this was bad driving.

I've never said he was a boy racer, and bullies all take different shapes and sizes.

Anyway, maybe we just agree to disgree.

I think we probably will. The driver might well be at fault, but we don't see it from his point of view. I can't understand why you wouldn't stay in primary throughout the roundabout. Cutting in close to the kerb at the exit is practically begging drivers to whizz past, which would've been fine except that you then pull right back out again, which forces the overtaking driver almost over in to the oncoming traffic.
I'm not saying the driver was entirely correct, but I am suggesting that if you'd taken the roundabout in the manner described in Cyclecraft the situation wouldn't have happened.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
The sign of a good driver is anticipation and awareness of your surroundings
Seems to me an experienced driver should have spotted 2 cyclists in front of him. He should also have spotted the rear one was considerably faster and anticipated the overtake.

Whatever IMO he had plenty of time to apply the brakes, but instead decided to continue the manouvre in a fashion which took him (illegally?) over the central chevrons to perform a double overtake.

Brock

I agree, a good driver who is paying attention will be able to negotiate his way safely round a cyclist, however erratically they're cycling. Don't know why we bother with Cyclecraft at all.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You laugh, but erratic and newbie cyclists tend to get far more room than experienced looking cyclists, as well as a lot of comments about how "dangerous" they are. Safety can be completely contrary to what common sense expects.

Cab

Giving a little wobble, trying to look a bit dodgy, is a good way of getting more space sometimes. And I think it has been established that if you're competent looking in a helmet you get passed far more closely.

Abitrary

I'm not afraid of death.

Well that's my attitude and it comes across in my cycling and possibly personal life.

Noone crosses me. I've never had a run in with a motorist yet.

Just keep eye contact and repeat the mantra

'One sock is shorter than the other. Doesn't make me more agile than my lover'

Road Fiddler

BentMikey said:

Sorry guys a little of subject.

Bent in your film above i take it you were on your fixie?

Did you lock the rear wheel and slide it in a nice cool arcing skid around the front of the bus to impress the all the girls before getting the VRN :biggrin:

"A member of parliament, Kate Hoey, actually admits to using her car as a weapon to bully and intimidate cyclists off the roads and onto dangerous, ill-thought out cycle lanes:"

Does not surprise me in the slightest.Had it with a bus on the way home today tried to intimidate me but I stood my ground.

Top Bottom