Does anyone still mend punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Swap out tube on roadside and patch at home. Presta tubes aren't cheap. Midwestern parsimony, I suppose. Bad weather with snow like this seems made for tube repair.

I really ought to check what's in my under-seat pack. I know there is at least one tube but I think there is also a repair kit "just in case". :smile:

400bhp

Guru
I'm sold. I will be getting some at the next appropriate opportunity. It sounds like even less hassle than carrying an extra tube around. By the time you've sorted it out and folded up the old one you could have been patching the tube.
Ah, do you have to leave some drying or fixing time for it to set?

Yes, but you need to find the hole in the tube. Coupled with poor light, crappy weather conditions repairing at the roadside might not be very easy.

If you use the patches properly they are just as good as traditional patch and glue.
There is a way to use them. People who complain about them have simply not used them correctly.

You have to prepare the inner tube for patching as you would normally.
ie abrase and clean area to be patched.
Put patch over hole being careful not to get fingers on sticky side.
Hold and smooth patch down for a good 30-60 seconds.
Do not inflate tube outside of tyre.

The patch on the inner on my commute bike has lasted over 5000 miles.
I had to take the tyre off to get a spoke fixed and the patch was fine.

Aha! That is the mistake I make. I am used to inflating once patch is on to confirm that it is a proper job.

Ningishzidda

Top tips for roadside tube changes ( &/or ) patch application.

Before the tube goes in the wheel, make a biro mark ( quite large ) on one side of the valve. A simple arrow showing direction of rotation will do.

Mount the tyre so the unique maker's logo is on the QR lever side, directly adjacent to the valve. Valve midway along the maker's logo. Put the tube in with the 'direction of rotation' arrow correct.

When you get a puncture, you can remove the tube, find the hole and QUICKLY associate it with its place in the tyre. Check the outside of the tyre for glass etc and rub your fingers round the inside to ensure the object has GONE.

PS. While you are fixing your puncture, DO NOT let anyone prat about with your wheel and tyre.

Mr. Jaggers

Regular
I've seen these advertised but have never used them because I worry that they might not be as reliable as the traditional method (which I find works extremely well when done right).
How do you rate these instant patches? Have you had any reliability issues with a patch failing or comming off the next time you take the tyre off?
I have used the instant patches for the first time this week and they let me down. Its not much more hassle to put some glue on and this is a better repair.

D

Deleted member 20519

I carry a spare tube for when I'm out on the road and I fix up the punctured tube when I get home.

OP
OP
simon the viking
Good to see an old thread of mine coming back to life - I'm sold on instant patches (I think - will let you know after first succesful fix) so I will get some instant patches then and use them if I get a puncture:thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have used the instant patches for the first time this week and they let me down. Its not much more hassle to put some glue on and this is a better repair.

What is the reason it let you down?
As I have said previous. When you use patches, you must prepare the surface as you would for a normal patch and glue, press and smooth the patch down and do not inflate the tube outside of the tyre.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
While I accept that a visit from the P***** F**** can be (and usually is) a pain in the butt, to me it is part and parcel of cycling. I personally carry a spare tube but I prefer to fit a patch at the roadside where possible. in fact it can be a 'social event' with your companions, usually with a bit of good humoured banter flying around. It is also a chance for an non-scheduled break. Perhaps my style of cycling more relaxed than most. :thumbsup:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Yes, but you need to find the hole in the tube. Coupled with poor light, crappy weather conditions repairing at the roadside might not be very easy.
Fair point. Fair point. Change tube and repair later then it is. I'm definitely with you on the point about waste. I'd let my tube get at least 3 punctures before I'd think of changing it. Mending should be encouraged.

Top Bottom