Does anyone still take part in a pub quiz?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Goodness. Thats a bit unpleasant. It would seem that some unsavoury types are attracted to these pub quizzes.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Goodness. Thats a bit unpleasant. It would seem that some unsavoury types are attracted to these pub quizzes.
I always remember the time 'Ronnie' the elderly quizmaster asked over the microphone what FOAD stood for. He handed the microphone to the team captain to tell the pub what it meant. He took the microphone and said the name out loud:ohmy:. 'Ronnie' who was a bit posh wasn't the same again after that.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
This thread is bringing back plenty of memories from when we frequented the pubs, and their quizzes. Long before The Fleece quiz, we used to go to The Merchants' quiz on a Sunday night... the winning team got a round of drinks. When we cottoned onto the fact that the quiz master got most questions from the preceding week's Fifteen to One, winning was easy :okay:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Yes, I do, on occasion, when we can muster a team. Local pub, 1st Wednesday of each month, no smart phones allowed.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The secret of a good quiz is one where most people have a good idea of most of the answers, not to outwit and demoralise people though.
I think it's a bit like whodunnits - a good one should leave people thinking 'damn - I should've spotted that!' Similarly, good questions should be pitched at a level where people either get it or end up kicking themselves for failing to.

My top pub quiz moment was after wandering into one in the deepest West Country, just in time to hear the young quizmaster asking, in the broadest of yokel accents for (it was in the news at the time) the name of the Iranian President - 'and don't expect any bonus points for spelling it right - it's not big & it's not clever.'

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Now Ian's post says what I thought, but what's the point of taking it so serious that you're willing to look like an object of pity and derision by cheating with a phone?

I remember a few years ago when Mrs Stephec answered the phone then turned to me and asked me a completely random general knowledge type question, turns out it was her mate in the middle of a quiz and they were taking it in turn to ring round for the answers, it's supposed to be a bit of a laugh, who gives a shoot, win or lose we're on the booze. :smile:

Yep, very popular in our local.
Though you do still get those who sneakily use their smart phones.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
My local rugby club runs a quiz at Xmas, but with brain teasers rather than questions, so the use of mobile phones is moot.

A blwdy good laugh too

I remember one question - name the film (In pictures)

A baby goat, a Capital E and a Carrot - The answer being "Karate Kid"

Several put Carrot-E Lamb :laugh:

Top Bottom