Does anyone take their bike with them into Tesco?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When touring in Ireland I stopped at Tesco's in the centre of Sligo to get suppliers before going on to the campsite. I asked the security lady on the door where I could safely leave my loaded bike, she guided me to the tobacco counter and told me to put it behind the cigarette shelves.

Bryony

Veteran
I was going out on a bike ride but had to run a few errands in town so thought I'd kill 2 birds with one stone I didn't have my lock with me, (was in my OH's car, and he was at work!) so I took my bike in the bank, no problems there, then into our new Morrisons local store and they didn't bat an eyelid. On a different day I was out on a ride and was going past my local pharmacy, remembered they had a job vacancy so took the bike in there to pick up an application form, took the lady by surprise but she was all smiles and didn't say anything.

chris1980

When i've been out on a long rides, in full cycling clobber and have popped into a petrol station to buy some jeally beans/midget gems/wine gums (delete as appropriate), I too have been asked the fuel question. l just point at the sweets and tell them that's all the fuel I need for now. Even got a smile once!
I was planning to stop at Tescos to get some fireworks on the way home.

Has anyone ever wheeled their bike in with them whilst shopping? Granted, pushing a trolley whilst trying to control your bike would be tricky, but if you were only going to buy a few items...

Were any objections raised by the staff?
I unfortunately work for tescos and have to push my bike through the store to the warehouse cause the area its in is full of thieving little s**ts, ive had a few complaints from customers while walking through. I certainly dont have a problem with it lol

Reactions: Maz

400bhp

Guru
I unfortunately work for tescos and have to push my bike through the store to the warehouse cause the area its in is full of thieving little s**ts, ive had a few complaints from customers while walking through. I certainly dont have a problem with it lol

Really?

What do they say?

stowie

Legendary Member
I once cycled to Mothercare in Edmonton to find that the cycle rack had been uprooted to make way for some more parking. I asked the security guard where I could leave it and he just shrugged so I just brought it in with me. Security guard nearly had some kind of panic attack but the manager (who may have decided that I was likely to be an awkward sod who would send emails to the head office) let me leave it by the main tills.

I also bring my bicycle into the GP surgery since the surgery has absolutely no bicycle parking at all. I have had a couple of sideways glances but no comments and I normally lock it to a railing in the corridor. It is one of those large polyclinics with two doctors surgeries inside. There are, however, some 1 hr waiting bays on the road outside. So much for promoting active travel..

400bhp

Guru
Went in Tesco Metro in Northernden this moning on the wayto work-wheeled bike in, no issues at all :-)

Rouge79

I got chucked out of an Argos Extra a couple of weeks ago. The store is on a retail park and is always like the mary celeste inside. Just about to pay at the self service machine and the store manager say i can't wheel my bike into the store as it's a H&S issue.

DrLex

merely the moocher
[...]the store manager say i can't wheel my bike into the store as it's a H&S issue.
More so than a pram/double buggy/wheelchair or invalid carriage?
I shouldered mine in Lidl the other week (loving the new bakery counter) & nobody moaned. :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have pushed my Kickbike through banks, shops, pubs and supermarkets and nobody complains. People do stop me and talk about it though because not many people have seen them.

I think the supermarkets have the right to decide who can enter their stores and also what they can take in with them.

image_zpsc59536c1.jpg

Steve

Rouge79

More so than a pram/double buggy/wheelchair or invalid carriage?
I shouldered mine in Lidl the other week (loving the new bakery counter) & nobody moaned. :smile:

The joke was that i'd taken my bike in on previous occasions with NO issues. He said i could leave my bike against the stack of catalogues at the front of the store. Which ironically would have created an H&S issue.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
I have pushed my Kickbike through banks, shops, pubs and supermarkets and nobody complains. People do stop me and talk about it though because not many people have seen them.

I think the supermarkets have the right to decide who can enter their stores and also what they can take in with them.

image_zpsc59536c1.jpg

Steve
That looks pretty cool. What is it called?

Top Bottom