Does anyone take their bike with them into Tesco?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I've never had any problem with the Decathlon staff (Surrey Quays) and, though I gather this might have changed recently, when I've taken my own bike into the store the security guy would stick a label onto the handlebars with no problem at all. I can't see how they could allow people to ride bikes around the store and not allow others to walk around with their own. Besides, their workshop is inside.

Does anyone take their bike with them into Tesco?

Interesting. You'd that a multi-billion pound retailer might be savvy enough to invest in a bike park wouldn't you?
You'd think.

http://teddingtontown.co.uk/2012/07/15/tesco-still-leaving-cyclists-out-in-the-cold/

On a related note, you are all going to far down market. I saw someone wheeling a roadbike around Waitrose recently.

Oh, and Decathlon may not be about H&S. I got a label stuck on my folder once going in there so they would know I brought it in with me. I wonder if they were having a problem with people stealing cycles and just wheeling them past security? (Edit: really should refresh to see if there are any new posting before writing one. Beaten by Deptfordmarmoset)

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I was planning to stop at Tescos to get some fireworks on the way home.

Has anyone ever wheeled their bike in with them whilst shopping? Granted, pushing a trolley whilst trying to control your bike would be tricky, but if you were only going to buy a few items...

Were any objections raised by the staff?
I do it regularly in my local Tesco metro simply to make a point, they removed the Sheffield stand they had soon after opening and there is nothing on the site area to lock it to.

Reactions: Maz

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Thinking more about my hounds tbh who won't stop shaking or leave the corner of the bedroom for the next xx hours
my 3 and several others seemed to enjoy our municipal firework display last night. Extra walkies and plenty of people to sniff.

More seriously tho, agree it is a problem for some but hijacking a topic on a bike forum on post 2 about shopping by bike isn't going to solve it. Many of the dog owners I know/twitter with are totally smitten with the 'thundershirt' for nervous dogs & those scared by loud noises- ergo thunder shirt. I've seen the effects & it really works. It seems to be the pressure point at the top of their chest between the front legs that can be used to calm the fear or excitement, one of mine was rescued from Spain (hideous experiences) and can get spooked by certain random things, firm pressure stroking that area settles him much quicker that treats and head rubs etc

Trickedem

Guru
Decathlon. Bringing French customer service to the UK.
my bad experience related to taking a tent back. This was brand new, but had a small cut in it. It only cost about £20 and the manager kept trying to suggest I had done it deliberately. I didn't even want my money back just an exchange. I had to quote the Sale of Goods Act to her and it all got a bit heated. I got my own way eventually, as was my right.
Products are great though, so I still go back regularly.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Must admit it has never occured to me to wheel the bike around a supermarket but I quite like the idea. When commuting, it's no bother locking the bike outside and clipping my panniers to the trolley (where they fit nicely on either side). If I was touring though with all that clobber, I probably would wheel the bike through the shop.

One thing I do when only shooping for a few bits and bobs that has raised eyebrows, is I found it dead fiddly carrying two panniers and a basket. So recently I have taken to not bothering with the basket at all, and just shove the stuff in my panniers, and then take them out again at the till to pay. The shopkeepers hate it. There you go- living life on the edge!

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
The shopkeepers hate it. There you go- living life on the edge!

I must say that I got a few funny looks when I went into Aldi with my helmet still on, camera on top, hi viz jacket, and waterproof trousers tucked into socks. Walking around in my SPD's sounding like a woman with a 3 inch heel.
Strangely the looks were from other customers. The staff were non the wiser. I could have probably taken my bike in and noone would say anything (although they were restacking shelves at the time so it might be a bit difficult).

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
No sure I should admit this, but if I'm on my ratty bike I just wrap one of the many long locks that folk leave in the bike racks around the crossbar, I figure nobody can tell from a distance.
I think you have underestimated the common theif. They often go up to the bike and make it look like it is theirs, then discreetly try and cut the lock.

Steve Saunders

Never taken my bike into a shop yet, and for a supermarket or petrol station forecourt I don't really see what the issue is. In a supermarket I don't see how a bike is really any different to a trolley or buggy - and they let invalidity scooters in.

On a slightly related note, I've been on a ride before and had a serious case of the munchies, with only a McDonalds nearby ... so went to the drive through (no lock for bike with me) and they refused to serve me, saying only motor vehicles were allowed in the drive through due to health and safety bla bla. They were really busy, but I felt I had to take my bike in with me (dodgy area). They didn't like this much, and the manager came out for a "chat" with me. I eventually got my food, and was told not to come back.

Top Bottom