Does Cycling Cure All Ailments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Ignoring Lance Armstrong and Cancer fights for the moment.

Had a bad back after some fireworks on NYE this time round (not as exciting as it sounds, even though I was in bed at the time), it has been giving me debilitating pain for several days. Now I'm back at work and back on the bike again, the pain has eased considerably.

Since I started back on the bike, following a number of months sharing a lift with a bloke who is great company, my mood has lifted and therefore so has the quality of my work.

Does cycling cure all problems? What has cycling done for you in terms of your health?

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
deff not and your very likely to contract shinybikeitus !

ScotiaLass

Guru
They say keeping mobile is the key with most back problems.
I have a really bad shoulder right now - the physio exercises are killing me but I can happily ride my bike with no issues! Go figure.
As for general health, cycling is helping me lose weight :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Cycling - and any exercise - releases endorphins, which help to relieve pain and make you feel happy.

I took up mountain biking in 1989 and got much much fitter and lost a lot of weight. I took up road cycling in 2009 and got even fitter, now I'm fitter than I ever was as a climber back in my 20s and 30s.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Too much cycling meaning too much exercise in general lowers your immune system repsonce and reduces its ability as less white blood cells are produced( macrophyages/Phagocytes). so any illness may get worse and you will likely get more.

Last edited:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
It cures all sorts of ailments, except for the cycling-related saddlesores you get from riding too often or too far :cry:. Sometimes I think the "Shut Up Legs" slogan should really be "Shut Up Bum" :laugh:. But given all the positives, that's a negative with which I can live.

Boothy

I used to run a lot, and now cycle more but basically been fairly fit for about ten years now. I've hardly ever been ill despite the wife and kids being ill, and when I have caught it, it's been mild and not lasted much more than a day. I was just telling everyone at work on Friday how little I've been ill over the last few years and I put it down to all the exercise.

Soooooo I should really have seen it coming that I'm now sick as a dog and have been since Sunday!

Why oh why didn't I keep my mouth shut?

Skipper

Had a tumble from the bike back in August, and thought nothing of it apart from a few cuts and bruises. Turned out I had buggered my back, which took a month or two before it really kicked in. Now I'm suffering, and have been for a month. SI joint keeps sticking, and now a neck vertebrae sticks as well. Consequently no cycling for the time being until I get it sorted. Having to be a patient patient.
But in the immortal words of Arnie .......... I'LL BE BACK!

Venod

Eh up
It won't cure a cold, I think cycling is good for your well being it keeps your weight down & increases your fitness, but its bad when you have a cold and I know from experience of many years running & cycling, if your feeling slightly under the weather lay off for a while, I have ignored this advice loads of times over the years and took longer to feel better than if I had rested, but isn't it depressing when you can't get out.

Ganymede

Veteran
It's not very good for ones financial health......down to that cursed N+1 virus don't you know:whistle::laugh:

I saved about £1K last year riding my cheap hybrid to work, but then realised I have a posh bike in the shed which I hardly ride (doesn't suit me) which cost over £1K, so I haven't saved anything! Well, I have now because I'm into my second year of commuting.

Healthwise - I really believe winter cycling is the key to eternal youth. Last winter I commuted most of the time and it was the first year I've NEVER had a cold. Everyone had a horrendous fluey cold in the April which I got but which lasted at least a week less with me. This year I've cycled a bit less and am slightly lurgy-struck - to be fair, the weather/flooding has been horrendous and I'm also working less often.

"A green December brings a full churchyard", as my grandfather used to say. Frost is healthier!

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
I saved about £1K last year riding my cheap hybrid to work, but then realised I have a posh bike in the shed which I hardly ride (doesn't suit me) which cost over £1K, so I haven't saved anything! Well, I have now because I'm into my second year of commuting.

Healthwise - I really believe winter cycling is the key to eternal youth. Last winter I commuted most of the time and it was the first year I've NEVER had a cold. Everyone had a horrendous fluey cold in the April which I got but which lasted at least a week less with me. This year I've cycled a bit less and am slightly lurgy-struck - to be fair, the weather/flooding has been horrendous and I'm also working less often.

"A green December brings a full churchyard", as my grandfather used to say. Frost is healthier!
I was being a bit tongue in cheek with my previous post. I collect vintage bikes and parts and it can get expensive at times. On a more serious note. A life times cycling and the underlying fitness provided by that has played a very large part in my surviving 3 heart attacks my Cardiac consultant assures me. Cycling also plays a very large part in my current recovery. So yes cycling is extremely good for my health and wellbeing. Has also provided my income for most of my adult life. So expenditure now isn't really grudged

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Too much cycling meaning too much exercise in general lowers your immune system repsonce and reduces its ability as less white blood cells are produced( macrophyages/Phagocytes). so any illness may get worse and you will likely get more.

Indeed. In a typical week, I commute over 100 miles plus 2 gym sessions and one 5 mile run once outside.

Though healthy, I find I get lots of sniffles and low level colds. When I do get them, they linger longer than they should.

2-3 days of no exercise and I'm fine again.

Boothy

Indeed. In a typical week, I commute over 100 miles plus 2 gym sessions and one 5 mile run once outside.

Though healthy, I find I get lots of sniffles and low level colds. When I do get them, they linger longer than they should.

2-3 days of no exercise and I'm fine again.

I cycle 75 - 100 miles a week (commuting) and either play football or run 5 miles twice a week and find I hardly get any colds or anything. I was convinced that general fitness leads you to be stronger at fighting infections and things

Though I should have known I'd get a bad one straight after voicing this! haha

Top Bottom