Does Cycling Cure All Ailments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I used to need glasses. After many close-encounters on the road, I realise that my eyes are much better than most people's, so have ditched the spectacles.

Linford

Have had lower back problems for years following a lifting injury in work. Cycling makes a lot of difference to this. Worthwhile doing it just for that if nothing else :smile:

Ganymede

Veteran
I was being a bit tongue in cheek with my previous post. I collect vintage bikes and parts and it can get expensive at times. On a more serious note. A life times cycling and the underlying fitness provided by that has played a very large part in my surviving 3 heart attacks my Cardiac consultant assures me. Cycling also plays a very large part in my current recovery. So yes cycling is extremely good for my health and wellbeing. Has also provided my income for most of my adult life. So expenditure now isn't really grudged

I have other expensive hobbies :blush:

Well done on your survival!

Did anyone see this?: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2012/45/dara-obriains-science-club.html - I missed it but would have loved to see the section on the bicycle.

Mattonsea

Über Member
In my 30s I suffered two slipped discs and spent a fortune in chiropractor fees . Since cycling regularly I have no back problems and
have levelled off on my meds as well. T have an active job but I still have the energy for cycling because of the fun it gives me .

Globalti

Legendary Member
Cyclists get fewer colds because they are not using public transport, where people sneeze and cough and every surface is covered in bacteria and viruses, with which you infect yourself as soon as you rub your eyes or pick your nose. At home we always wash our hands first thing when coming in; I believe this keeps contamination at a lower level because we don't get many colds.

Ganymede

Veteran
Cyclists get fewer colds because they are not using public transport, where people sneeze and cough and every surface is covered in bacteria and viruses, with which you infect yourself as soon as you rub your eyes or pick your nose. At home we always wash our hands first thing when coming in; I believe this keeps contamination at a lower level because we don't get many colds.

I wear gloves on public transport in winter, and in summer hit door/lift buttons etc with my knuckles or elbows, not my fingertips! I hold on using my forearms. Call me paranoid, but as a freelancer I need to keep well!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I think you're paranoid! All you need to do is avoid touching your eyes and nose with unwashed hands.

I went for a contact lens tryout once and the optician only tinkled his fingers briefly under the tap - sure enough two days after he had stuck his dirty fingers in my eyes I got a cold.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think you're paranoid! All you need to do is avoid touching your eyes and nose with unwashed hands.

I went for a contact lens tryout once and the optician only tinkled his fingers briefly under the tap - sure enough two days after he had stuck his dirty fingers in my eyes I got a cold.
If you are concerned about such things (which you clearly are) and you noticed that he didn't wash his hands properly (which you clearly did), why didn't you ask him to give his hands a proper wash? :whistle:

Ganymede

Veteran

Thanks, I am! I think it's useful paranoia - I work with my voice. Also I find it hard to avoid touching my eyes, nose and mouth - much harder than wearing gloves.

Also... hmmm... the two sentences in your post seem to contradict each other...? :whistle:

Globalti

Legendary Member
To my regret at the time I was too timid to insist that he went back and washed his hands properly. I won't be so timid next time.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Our lass reckons I am much more relaxed since I started cycling. Not seen any improvement in concentration at work, spend too much time on here and/or mentally planning the route home.

Top Bottom