Does exercise bike mileage count towards yearly Strava mileage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mrs V is considering getting an exercise bike - I've suggested an interactive roller and subscription but she's not listening as it would have to be in the dining room so....

If i use said exercise bike would a manual entry on Strava be an acceptable thing to do....

I was going to stream old tour de france stages while im on it as i find exercise bikes boring....

Thoughts and opinions please

screenman

Legendary Member
It counts as time maybe, not miles.

You can categorise rides as being indoor trainer rides and no-one will get annoyed, so long as it's flagged as such.

The real question is how much you trust the numbers provided by the exercise bike.

screenman

Legendary Member
I always count the miles on the trainer, but they are videos with gps files so the mileage is accurate, there is no wind potholes etc, but there is also no freewheeling, turbo miles are harder than road miles IMO.

I disagree, time is harder (maybe) on a turbo miles not so.

Milzy

Guru
If you’re training in ERG mode on smaller rings to keep your power line smoother the miles won’t be calculated properly anyway.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
When discussing annual miles this time last year a friend said to me "That's real miles."

Sorry but I don't think turbo, Zwift or whatever count as cycled miles. Great exercise or training but not road miles and that's what count.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I always count the miles on the trainer, but they are videos with gps files so the mileage is accurate, there is no wind potholes etc, but there is also no freewheeling, turbo miles are harder than road miles IMO.
If it's accurate it would say zero miles.You have not moved.

OP
OP
simon the viking
If it motivates her to ride more and more then yes. What others think doesn't matter, does she want to see her totals increasing and trying to beat mast weeks and last months figure?
At the moment she's hardly cycling as her office has moved and she walks it but wants to get fitter and thinks an exercise bike may be the answer... a friend is selling a treadmill which I'd prefer but she wants an exercise bike ( we tipped one 5 years ago...:rolleyes:)

The mileage on Strava is me as taken commuting has taken a hit in the really wet weather.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
It makes me laugh seeing people's average speeds and claimed power going through the roof in the winter on Strava as they start logging their Zwift rides.
By all means use a turbo or exercise bike and record the activity to motivate, they are great for targeted training, but it isn't directly comparable to banging out miles on the road or trail.

tom73

Guru
It's your strava account and your own sats so who else should care if you add them or not.
It's up to you in the end your not likely to be trying to claim any KOM so go for it if it's going to keep you motivated till you can get the bike out.
I add turbo miles to my year total mostly as I dont have a turbo only bike. So it helps keep track of miles the drive chain get's though.
Plus my own sweat and pain has to worth something :laugh:
Though I don't add to strava only because i've yet to get round to linking it.
Even if i had my account is locked so no-one can get hot and bothered anyway. :smile:

Top Bottom