Does getting a Hybrid make me a hippy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
So please enlighten us why 3 of the 4 Teslas we saw on the return journey were going relatively slowly with the windows down? You claim to be the Oracle and accuse me of ignorance, so you tell me.

Why don't you tell me why we passed endless combustion cars with their windows down on our M4/M5 slog??

I have driven EVs since 2015, taken our EV to Europe and all across the UK covering roughly 65k miles.

Maybe that's why I think I have more of an idea about how EVs behave in pretty much every condition than someone who doesn't even own an EV, but yet likes to think they know all about EVs.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
We spent 5hr+ in our EV this half term coming up the M4/5 at sub 20mph

Been just as quick to jump out your car and pedal a bike 😂

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Why don't you tell me why we passed endless combustion cars with their windows down on our M4/M5 slog??

I have driven EVs since 2015, taken our EV to Europe and all across the UK covering roughly 65k miles.

Maybe that's why I think I have more of an idea about how EVs behave in pretty much every condition than someone who doesn't even own an EV, but yet likes to think they know all about EVs.
A colleague wants a Tesla 3 - is that a practical car for someone doing 5-700 miles a week? I know there's the theoretical range but what about real life, access to chargers etc?

gzoom

Über Member
A colleague wants a Tesla 3 - is that a practical car for someone doing 5-700 miles a week? I know there's the theoretical range but what about real life, access to chargers etc?

What kind of trips are they, 5x100 mile trips, or 1x500 miles. The cruising of a LR Model 3 is some where around 200-270 miles depending on mainly speed + weather. Cold + rain + headwind is the main thing reduces range (not the aircon ;)).

If they have a home charger it wouldn't be an issue, when I owned a petrol car I hardly ever filled it up mid trip if I left house with 200 miles in the 'tank'. I can count on one hand the number times I've used public charger of any kind in the last 12 months.

This website gives you some idea of real if range and charging.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

The main type of trip that EVs struggles with is work day trips of 300 miles, where you are driving for 2.5hrs to a 1hr meeting, than driving 2.5hrs straight home. Luckily for us COVID + Teams have made those kind of days a distant memory, but if your job fit that kind of profile stick to a combustion engine car, as during a long work day the last thing you want is to charge the car.

gbb

Legendary Member
I know next to nothing about hybrids other than incorrectly driven, they perform as badly, or worse than ICE cars (based on my SIL s employers who leased an Auris hybrid and the owners wife was aghast at how poorly it performed economy wise....only to be told you cant drive it like a normal car, you have to modify your driving style...in other words, learn how it works and use it properly)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You really have zero idea about EVs do you!

The range drop in any EV is highest at high speed (above the UK speed limit), not when crawling in traffic with the air con on.

We spent 5hr+ in our EV this half term coming up the M4/5 at sub 20mph, air con was on all the way, infact it was the petrol cars owners whom all had their windows open. A few years ago 4hrs of having the air con on during a heat wave used roughly 6% energy, so essentially I can keep the air con running for over 2 days without depleting the battery.

If you want to bash EVs, please stick to facts rather than random guessing!!

View attachment 595232
You are a shameless Influencer and I Claim My Five Pounds.

BTW, How's the weather in Dubai?

Just ordered a new company car. I asked for - and much to my surprise - got a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. I am of course getting this for the environment and not for the tax break. Anyone got one, had one, know somebody with one? Will my armpit hair grow immediately and will I smell like stale mushrooms the day I get it or is that more of a gradual thing?

I've read that many Outlanders were bought as company cars and handed back after 3 year with the charging cable still in it's wrapper. Are hybrids practical for daily high mileage use or more of an aspiration?

Will I be able to get the bike in the back?
Suspect you are anything but a hippy my friend, so don't worry,it's all good ^_^

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

Ok - road report on the Outlander. Two months or so in and just about to hit 6000 miles.

1) Economy - hahahahaha
2) Ride Quality - Very comfortable and smooth but feels vague when maneuvering at slow speeds - don't feel that "connection" between right boot and wheels.
3) Economy - hahahahaha
4) Practicality - have to partially fold wife's electric wheelchair to fit in the back and because it's so high it's a fair heave to get the thing up the ramps. It's effectively the same interior dimensions as a VW Touran, but higher.
5) Economy - hahahaha
6) Charging - it gets charged every night at home and occasionally gets a fast charge to 80% when I'm out. The fast charge takes 25 minutes and lasts for about 15 minute's driving. Didn't bother at all on the Spanish road trip as it would have meant getting a few French and Spanish Apps and working them out. Just couldn't be bothered. An overnight charge from zero to full costs about £2 and gives a nominal 25 mile range.
7) Economy - it's really, really not economical for the driving I do. The 3500 mile road trip returned 32 mpg. More regular 300 mile days starting with a full charge give 38 mpg. If I were doing 100 miles or so a week, picking up kids from school, shopping etc, then this would be a very, VERY good car as most driving would be in EV mode.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Ok - road report on the Outlander. Two months or so in and just about to hit 6000 miles.

1) Economy - hahahahaha
2) Ride Quality - Very comfortable and smooth but feels vague when maneuvering at slow speeds - don't feel that "connection" between right boot and wheels.
3) Economy - hahahahaha
4) Practicality - have to partially fold wife's electric wheelchair to fit in the back and because it's so high it's a fair heave to get the thing up the ramps. It's effectively the same interior dimensions as a VW Touran, but higher.
5) Economy - hahahaha
6) Charging - it gets charged every night at home and occasionally gets a fast charge to 80% when I'm out. The fast charge takes 25 minutes and lasts for about 15 minute's driving. Didn't bother at all on the Spanish road trip as it would have meant getting a few French and Spanish Apps and working them out. Just couldn't be bothered. An overnight charge from zero to full costs about £2 and gives a nominal 25 mile range.
7) Economy - it's really, really not economical for the driving I do. The 3500 mile road trip returned 32 mpg. More regular 300 mile days starting with a full charge give 38 mpg. If I were doing 100 miles or so a week, picking up kids from school, shopping etc, then this would be a very, VERY good car as most driving would be in EV mode.
Your experience would seem to echo that of a friend who has one.
We recently travelled from NW England to the Orkneys and back. Three up, with diving gear and some luggage, so the weight equivalent of four people in the car. We split petrol costs and I was horrified at his mpg of 35. His driving for the majority of the journey was below the speed limit and where he went faster, it was at the relevant speed limit.
He did say that it was a better mpg for his local work journeys, where he could of course charge the battery at home.

Your experience would seem to echo that of a friend who has one.
We recently travelled from NW England to the Orkneys and back. Three up, with diving gear and some luggage, so the weight equivalent of four people in the car. We split petrol costs and I was horrified at his mpg of 35. His driving for the majority of the journey was below the speed limit and where he went faster, it was at the relevant speed limit.
He did say that it was a better mpg for his local work journeys, where he could of course charge the battery at home.
Think I’ll stick to my 3litre 4series diesel then which has averaged 46mpg over 44000 miles and can go 500miles between top ups

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

Think I’ll stick to my 3litre 4series diesel then which has averaged 46mpg over 44000 miles and can go 500miles between top ups
That reminds me, the Outlander has a small fuel tank, about 50l compared to a standard 66l tank. When you fill it up it gives an estimated range. In my old Passat, range was typically estimated at over 500 miles. In the Outlander - about 280 :ohmy: I fill up most days and on the road trip, sometimes twice.

I've never seen an EV with the windows down to prolong battery life.
Plenty of ICE vans and cars have their windows down. Either they haven't got AC or maybe they like smoking or sticking their head out the window like a dog ?

I'd be amazed if you can deduce battery level from looking at the windows.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Oi! Leave us hippies out of it.✌
Right on, OldHippy. :highfive:

We were all tricked into reading this thread on our Cycling Forum with the cryptic thread name “Does getting a Hybrid make me a hippy?

But I did learn something new reading this thread, some people sure can get pissy talking about automobiles, sheesh!

D453FB00-7546-4333-A93B-7C37AB1A0885.jpeg
:wacko: Tsk tsk.

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

Right on, OldHippy. :highfive:

We were all tricked into reading this thread on our Cycling Forum with the cryptic thread name “Does getting a Hybrid make me a hippy?

But I did learn something new reading this thread, some people sure can get pissy talking about automobiles, sheesh!

View attachment 614351 :wacko: Tsk tsk.
Being in the "Motoring" forum was a bit of a hint though.

Top Bottom