Does going through temporary lights count as RLJ...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domd1979

Veteran
As far as I know, temporary traffic lights have the same legal status as fixed ones (i.e. its illegal to go through them). But... would anyone admit to sneaking through temporary lights, where they wouldn't generally go through fixed?

The pesky National Grid are in my area at the moment doing never ending gas main works, and have a 3 way set of temporary lights on a side road on my commute because there's odd holes in the road barriered off, so cars can't safely come both ways. Earlier in the week, I approached the lights - no aspect showing - assumed they were just bust and carried on. Obviously it was just the red bulb that had gone but I didn't twig that, until I went past the other set of lights which were functioning. I did meet a car half-way through the traffic lighted section (a good 75 yds, T jn in the middle), but since there was more than enough room for a car and bicycle to pass, no harm done, but I spose technically I'd RLJed, albeit not intentionally.

Do the normal arguments against RLJing apply for temporary lights...? Depending on the circumstance temporary lights are being used in, they're mightily tempting to ignore, or is that just the slippery slope...?

[lights blue touch paper and retires etc etc ;) ]

I thought you were talking about those poxy lights on Southwark Bridge.

I seemed to wait ages at those but I forgot to change my route to avoid them.

Maz

Guru
Temporary red lights can be a lot worse, esp. if the road is down to 1 direction of traffic at a time. You could easily meet a car head-on coming towards you.

Kirst

Maz said:
Temporary red lights can be a lot worse, esp. if the road is down to 1 direction of traffic at a time. You could easily meet a car head-on coming towards you.

That was my thought. Temporary traffic lights are usually there because one side of the road is closed off. Ignoring a red light would usually mean you'll be meeting oncoming traffic with very little room for manoeuvre.

bonj2

No. neither does going the roadworks side of the traffic cones in the queue leading up to them.

Jaded

Yes.

Stay there until the contractors come back.

Then tell them that you are very cross.

col

Legendary Member
Im not sure,but i was told,unless the temp lights are advertised in the paper,before they are used,thereis not not a legal requirment to go by them.I think like has been mentioned,its sensible to obey them anyway.

Plax

Guru
I go through temporary traffic lights on occassion. Only if they are really short road works though, and you can see if any cars are coming. I always stop at proper lights, but can't see the point of some road works. Some imes there is more of an obstruction with parked cars all down the road, so why they think we need traffic lights when the road works are only a couple of car lengths long is beyond me.

Top Bottom