Does it make sense to upgrade the rear wheel only?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb1414

Hi there...I know this may sound like a newbie question and I am pretty new to the road bike world. I grew up mountain biking and riding motorcycles. I just got the bianchi impulso all road tiagra as I got a pretty good deal on it. I know tiagra isn't the best and isn't the worst so I know I can work with the crankset later on. I want to lighten up the rear end just a little bit by upgrading the cassette to an ultegra and updating the rear wheel that might have a better hub than the stock wheel and be a bit lighter. I was looking at doing a whole wheelset conversion but my finances are a little tight at the moment. Does this make sense to the more veteran riders out there for a quick little upgrade? If so, any wheel/hub combos you can suggest as a good mid-entry wheel? I am currently running the stock wheels and hubs and don't really know if they are any good:
Rear Hub:
Formula RXC-142S road disc, center lock, thru axle 12x142mm, 4SB
Wheels:
Reparto Corse CDX22 disc, tubeless ready

Thanks in advance for any input/ideas/suggestions!

Cheers!

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Save up your money till the hub goes faulty and run it into oblivion. Then, upgrade your wheels.
The best upgrade you can make is better tyres (unless you already have good ones).
That's where the weight savings will show the biggest difference and the tyre build itself can add a few mph.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A front wheel is a front wheel but upgrading the rear wheel to Ultegra gives you access to 11 speed (more future-proof) if you want it. So it makes sense.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Eh?
8 speed cassettes and shifters are still out there years after 11 speed was introduced.
Future proof? :wacko:
You'll struggle to find decent 8 speed cassettes (not HG50 quality in a limited choice) and replacement STI shifters.

10-speed is the real problem, though - the dwindling stock of Ultegra/DA 10 speed stuff now sells for more than new 11 speed because Shimano broke backwards compatibility and people don't want to throw away all their 10 speed kit for the sake of a bent mech.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I agree with ^^^
Without wishing to be a killjoy, it may be true to say you do not have the highest spec/groupset
but in all honesty what you are suggesting is not really going to make (dare I say any?) difference. Tiagra works and works well and any weight gains wouldn't even equal a banana in/out of your pocket. If you've only just got the bike just ride and enjoy it.
Think about mods or upgrades after a period of time or maybe with a 2nd bike.
Regards
Tim

davidphilips

Veteran
Just keep what you have until it wears out, i tend to go through rear wheels quicker that fronts, but if you want to buy just one wheel to make the bike faster (not really worth it or very noticable) then its an aero front you want. But as has already been said tyres will make a bigger difference.
Best upgrade you can make to any bike is to invest in the engine and making sure the bike is set up right for you, the engine is the bit that makes the bike fast and aero, a good bike fit will make sure you can use your power without straining any thing .

boydj

Legendary Member
You'll not notice the difference doing a wheel upgrade, unless you are an experienced cyclist and used to cycling a good bit quicker than beginner pace. The suggestion above to put on better quality tyres is one that makes sense where you will notice a difference.

Save your money until you've built up the miles and experience enough to know where you want to go with your cycling, and you're in it for the long term.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'd like to add my own experience that is wheel upgrades can make a significant difference. I upgraded to carbon tubeless 15 months ago. This reduced the bike weight by 1.5kg, easily gave me +2mph, probably more, on the flat, +5mph descending and helped improve my climbing.

Whether or not an upgrade is appropriate for your bike and yourself as a newcomer to the road world is another matter. I can't answer this.

Top Bottom