Does it matter which way round my front wheel goes on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bigtallfatbloke said:
It was easier to change the gizmo because oterwise I would have needed to deflate the tyre to get it past my brakes

Does your Galaxy have cantilever brakes? Normally one end of the straddle wire slides out of the brake arm?

postman

Legendary Member
Had my first puncture on the galaxy on weds and yes you do release the brake by the wire its easy.First one in three years.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm as bad and fussy (anal) as Mickle..... and the QR must follow the line of the fork or rear seat stay......I need locking up - someone come and get me........ :biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Same here, both QR levers must be on the left.

They must be closed with their tails pointing to the rear.

They must be horizontal.

No the QR levers on the front should be pointing up along the fork so they can't catch on anything:wacko:

rustychisel

As stated, the computer magnet orientation is the most compelling reason. If you can't swap the wheel around without having to deflate the tyre there's something wrong there. Other reasons are so you always know the QR is on the left - always - and some tyres have a rotational preference. Whether or not that mattters overmuch is a seperate question. The QRs should always be tucked in behind a stay, and the front is best in about the 2 o'clock position (seen side on) snugged behind the fork arm for safety. As JP has alluded to above, it's the reason QR skewers are not allowed on the track.

mondobongo

Über Member
Is there a specific reason that QR's go on the left?

rustychisel said:
As stated, the computer magnet orientation is the most compelling reason. If you can't swap the wheel around without having to deflate the tyre there's something wrong there. Other reasons are so you always know the QR is on the left - always - and some tyres have a rotational preference. Whether or not that mattters overmuch is a seperate question. The QRs should always be tucked in behind a stay, and the front is best in about the 2 o'clock position (seen side on) snugged behind the fork arm for safety. As JP has alluded to above, it's the reason QR skewers are not allowed on the track.

I thought QRs were not done on track because they are heavier, and its not as if you need to whip a track wheel off and change a puncture quick-sharp is it.

Q/R tucked behind/against the fork and stay front & back.

Yes, maybe as you're riding along nothing's going to catch on it (unlike on the MTB where you're brushing through branches and nettles)
And maybe you are careful what you lean it against in the garage/shed or when you park it up.

But if you're parked at the caff or somewhere and some silly sod leans their bike against yours, interlocks bits of bike, then removes theirs by yanking it away from yours...I don't want to risk them pulling the Q/R open thank-you very much.

Apparently the Q/R is more aero when horizontal but I think I can live with the, ooh enormous, drag of it snagged-up against the fork
- especially when I'm racing in a Tri, when I've racked my bike on a scaffolding-pole with lots of other bikes belonging to clumsy & hasty transitioning triathletes, and it's pretty likely the berk next to me will be yanking and tugging to disconnect his bike from mine !

abchandler

When I first read this thread, I failed to read the final word of the title. Good job I didn't immediately make the flippant reply 'The same way as the rear' as I was going to.

Top Bottom