Does it matter which way round my front wheel goes on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well you said (about 40 posts ago :biggrin:), that it had to be on the left.

I assumed there was some technical reason, like whats-it-called-where-threads-unscrew-themselves-so-pedals-are-left-and-right-threaded : or is it just so it's pretty and matches the one at the back ? :biggrin:

barq

I had a Shimano QR skewer installed on a 2004 Kona MTB on the RH side. As soon as I noticed (which was quite quickly, 'wrong' things like that catch my eye) I tried it the other way and fully closed it caught the disc rotor. There was a small Shimano booklet that explained it was sometimes necessary to install the reverse way around. :biggrin: Obviously I made my own arrangements. :biggrin:

But, but, their QR lever will only catch yours if its the other orientation. So for example fossy and I couldn't catch our skewers on each other. Also should someone be rough enough with my bike to be able to catch my QR and undo it, neither of us will be riding anywhere before he has been force fed his testicles, which have been removed using his QR. (And I don't do Tri so I don't have to worry about that).

Seriously, when was the last time someone leant their bike against yours in such a cackhanded manner that they could risk undoing your QR? I don't think anyone has ever done that to me (maybe the loss of testicles threat focusses the mind a little). Whenever I took Gen out of the stands at the office I always did a quick wiggle of the QRs and checked both brakes, just like before any ride, and never had a prob.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was told by a pukka french roadie when I was a mere 16 to do it that way - i.e. front QR in-line with fork, rear in-line with seat stay, then I think Bernard Hinault's book says so too..... so that's good enough for me....... most of my club mates did the same ...... 20 years of practice.... loony practice but hey......

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
But then again, a lot of new QR's are damn right ugly and stick out a lot, not a patch on my 7400 Dura Ace's..even use these on my Kysriums

Blue

Legendary Member
Smokin Joe said:
Pure aesthetics, it don't matter a damn which side it goes.
Having said that, I would DIE before I put my wheel in the wrong way round. it's just so...so...you just don't, that's all.

But if it doesn't matter which way round the wheel goes how can you ever put it in the wrong way :biggrin:

Top Bottom