Does lower back pain 'go away' eventually?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dude7691

Hi all,

So I'm a fairly new rider with only maybe 1k miles under my belt in the last 2 years. I'm 20 years old and 54kg. I recently did a 30 mile ride that was very hilly and pretty hard on my legs. I've noticed around the 15-20 mile mark (1 hour) into my rides I start to get light back pain and by hour 2 it's agonizing, requiring lots of stretching. I've got my saddle set a tad lower than I possibly could as I wanted to rule out overusing (rocking) my hips while pedaling and I try to stand up as much as I can to give my back the chance to stretch out. I've got my saddle tilted down by 1 degree (arms don't hurt at all) and did this as it seems to help me produce more power. As for my fore/aft position, I'm fractionally behind the KOPS recommendation, maybe got an inch behind the pedal spindle and my reach to the handlebars doesn't feel excessive to me, and I've got 5 spacers in my stem, haven't slammed it. The handlebars are just a fraction above the saddle, in fact. Common knowledge seems to be that moving the saddle forward more would engage my quads more, but I'd rather not do this as my glutes and hams are very strong and I don't want to take them away, I need them on the hills to keep my power output up haha. Is it just a case of me getting used to the pain/adapting to it? I'm assuming eventually my lower back muscles will strengthen or do I need to incorporate core workouts and yoga for a hope of getting rid of this?

Cheers :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have had similar back problems for over 30 years so I really wouldn't recommend just waiting for it to 'go away' - it hasn't for me! :okay:

I can't really give you advice, other than to make sure that you sort it ASAP because you really don't want to be sore for decades like muggins here...

OP
OP
D

dude7691

I have had similar back problems for over 30 years so I really wouldn't recommend just waiting for it to 'go away' - it hasn't for me! :okay:

I can't really give you advice, other than to make sure that you sort it ASAP because you really don't want to be sore for decades like muggins here...
Hey Colin,
Sorry to hear you suffer with back problems too, I know all too well they can be the worst type of pain on the bike :sad: It's not a satisfying pain just an agonizing one haha. I don't have a strong core, so I'm guessing that's partly why, so I'm going to start yoga and stuff ASAP. Would you recommend a bike fit? Have you ever had one?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've never had a bike fit but I have experimented a lot over the years and I'd be very surprised if my position now is far off.

I know a few riders who swear by yoga and/or pilates. I think they would probably help me too, but I just don't feel very interested. Even a few simple stretches would be good for me because I am terribly inflexible.

You are obviously not overweight, so that is one problem that you don't have to worry about! I have been obese in the past and the strain that put on me definitely didn't help, especially living in a very hilly area. I did lose all of the surplus weight and it helped a lot, but I let 10 or 11 kg creep back on and can feel it every time I ride uphill. Time to get back into my intermittent fasting regime ('5:2')!

OP
OP
D

dude7691

I've never had a bike fit but I have experimented a lot over the years and I'd be very surprised if my position now is far off.

I know a few riders who swear by yoga and/or pilates. I think they would probably help me too, but I just don't feel very interested. Even a few simple stretches would be good for me because I am terribly inflexible.

You are obviously not overweight, so that is one problem that you don't have to worry about! I have been obese in the past and the strain that put on me definitely didn't help, especially living in a very hilly area. I did lose all of the surplus weight and it helped a lot, but I let 10 or 11 kg creep back on and can feel it every time I ride uphill. Time to get back into my intermittent fasting regime ('5:2')!
Speaking of experimenting, I've just moved my saddle half a cm forward, doing a ride I'm very familiar with tomorrow, just to try it out and see what's what. Maybe the fact my arms aren't hurting 1 bit is a bad thing, as in they're not taking the load that they should be? Hopefully it makes some difference :smile: When I need more power I guess I'll just sit back a little bit more than usual to recruit my glutes and point my toes up.

Same issue as me mate, I don't enjoy any exercise other than cycling because it feels like work to me, versus cycling which is a passion you know? So motivating myself to do yoga if I don't actually need to is pointless, tomorrow will pretty much tell me the answers I need haha.

As for weight, I'm actually wondering if maybe being slightly underweight is the problem. Having less muscle tissue on my upper body than the average person for example. I've started having protein shakes every day to bulk up just to 58-60kg, against the advice of quite a few people as I just feel healthier at that weight, and I know for a fact I'm faster on the flats when I'm slightly heavier because my muscle mass increases dramatically. I'm 5ft 9 by the way, 54kg is a BMI of just under 18 I think.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm like you prefer sitting rearwards over the pedals for the same reason as you and use my quads more, as I am of short leg and long back this helps me keep 'balanced' without too much weight on the arms(I ride a custom frame with long top-tube and more laid-back seat-tube). KOPS is a bit of myth, but a good starting point.
My bars are slightly lower than the saddle, am overweight with a bit of a belly and my neck is not as flexible as it once was. My saddle is quite high and has been criticised but my hips don't quite rock.
And yes, I do get lower back pain after a while, and I have thought that it's as a result of both using the quads more and being a low cadence/high power grinder which (I think) puts more pressure/strain on the lower back muscles.
I do find I can keep going and more often than not the pain recedes but never quite completely goes away. I don't tend to do much stretching between rides, but will do when am out if I feel necessary.
So my thinking is think about whether you grind-away (especially as I do uphill) in a high gear straining the lower back, or whether spinning a lower gear might help?
Is it an issue for those of us relatively long-backed?
Do you get back-ache from a long walk?

Yoga with Adriene on youtube has some good short beginners work-outs as well as back-specific programs that might also help.

Last edited:

Twilkes

Guru
I switched to a road bike last year and had some lower back aches, felt like it was the muscles/tissue that join the glutes to the lower back. Being tall I assumed I would need the seat fairly far back and a longer stem, but I've since gone back to the original stem and moved the saddle forward and up and my back is now a lot more comfortable. It feels like I am less fatigued on longer rides, in my back and my legs too. So maybe you're still reaching too much on the bike?

You could try moving your cleats back a little to keep your glutes engaged if you move the saddle forward.

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Id bet good money the bike is the wrong size

DaveM77

Lower back pain is normally caused by weak core or tight hamstrings. Some simple dead lifts cured my sciatica a few years ago and never had a problem since. Gentle stretches before and after cycling should soon ease up the back niggles

avecReynolds531

Veteran
I've had hip flexor inflexibilty - it's a natural problem for us because of the repetitive motion of pedalling.
I was taught to lie on your back, bring one knee up, hold both hands around that knee, then pull the other leg up to meet by pointing the knee out & resting the ankle on the knee that you're holding.

Stretching out hamstrings & your back will help too.

I try to keep the abdominal & back muscles in good shape with press ups and burpees. Hilly rides do seem to cause more pain in the back and the legs, but it's good to vary seated & standing climbing. I think the press ups & burpees help with conditioning for standing climbing too. In any case, at 54kg, you should fly up the hills.

My last road bike had the saddle a lot higher than the bars - it's ok for pro cyclists but not so great for an amateur like me. Now I'm more comfortable with a less extreme position.

All the best with reducing the pain & getting back to enjoying two wheels.

Top Bottom