Does lower back pain 'go away' eventually?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

dude7691

Gregg Lemond used to have his saddle further back than most to engage his glutes more. It worls for me, maybe it works for you too!
In any case You always need to build your strength and stamina.
We do love our glutes! :biggrin: Nah for real I have to push my glutes really hard to feel any sort of burn. I used to walk 20 miles a day as a waiter so I have a lot of residual strength in my hams & glutes that helps a lot on the bike :smile:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Haha I've never been one for chamois :biggrin: I don't chafe, I'm one of the lucky ones :smile: I wear lycra shorts under my normal shorts though so I guess that helps :biggrin:

no - me neither - i prefer izzards myself.

1596228766151.png

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
We do love our glutes! :biggrin: Nah for real I have to push my glutes really hard to feel any sort of burn. I used to walk 20 miles a day as a waiter so I have a lot of residual strength in my hams & glutes that helps a lot on the bike :smile:

The problem with ' pushing' your glutes when in a forward bended riding position is that it makes them become bulkier and shorter than they should be - hence the need to stretch properly to avoid injury - short strong bulky muscles are more likely to cause injury to the joints tendons and ligaments. -

- Rugby players ( for instance) who learn to stretch well have a far lesser rate of injury - but they dont lose strength..

vickster

Legendary Member
Haha I've never been one for chamois :biggrin: I don't chafe, I'm one of the lucky ones :smile: I wear lycra shorts under my normal shorts though so I guess that helps :biggrin:
The padding on the lycra shorts is the chamois :scratch: (assuming said Lycra shorts are padded and not just for compression)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Gregg Lemond used to have his saddle further back than most to engage his glutes more. It worls for me, maybe it works for you too!
In any case You always need to build your strength and stamina.
I have been told I look like I'm too far back but I measured it and I am bang on kops if you believe in that
Could be the op needs to start from scratch on the fit maybe get their set up right and change the stem to reduce overreaching.i change the stem on nearly every bike I have but I know m current fit to the mm

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
The padding on the lycra shorts is the chamois :scratch: (assuming said Lycra shorts are padded and not just for compression)

Except nowadays not so many mountain goats have been harmed in their production.

Are the old style skin ones still available?

Not that I'm keen to try them :wacko:

Wash and dry in a day, has much to recommend it :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
Except nowadays not so many mountain goats have been harmed in their production.

Are the old style skin ones still available?

Not that I'm keen to try them :wacko:

Wash and dry in a day, has much to recommend it :okay:
they do still call the foamy non goaty ones chamois though

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Indeedy they do :okay:

Was just wondering if some old school types still favoured sitting on 'real' goat :wacko:
I did for years, and very comfortable it was. Much cooler than modern synthetic pads....
Be happy to try them again.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have been told I look like I'm too far back but I measured it and I am bang on kops if you believe in that
Could be the op needs to start from scratch on the fit maybe get their set up right and change the stem to reduce overreaching.i change the stem on nearly every bike I have but I know m current fit to the mm
If you look at Photos of pros from the steel and toeclips era, you notice they tend to sit further back with shorter stems. Whilst the more modern forward position with flat back might be more efficient for full-on racing it might not suit everyone for the majority of their riding....
It’s always worth experiment with positioning.

I’m going to throw a curveball out there and say you need to change your saddle. I used to suffer from back pain like yourself and I changed my saddle to one with a longer nose and shorter bum area and my back pain disappeared, I assume this is because my sit bones are more supported now so my core isn’t working as hard to keep myself stable.

Could work for you?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Top Bottom