Does lower back pain 'go away' eventually?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sounds like you are pushing too hard for your current fitness and just need to back off to let your body catch up.

this ^^^
Given your low mileage going out for a 30 mile ride is most likely too far, your young and not overweight so try to build on your base mileage 50 miles a week, then 60,70 etc etc until you’ve got miles under your belt don’t worry about speed base miles are key even for veteran riders, I used to ride well over 10k miles a year and once I stopped lower back pain became an issue for me until I built my base back up.

good news is as you do long rides it stop hurting (mostly) then you can start adding in faster and faster rides, if it’s possible where you live try and avoid to many hills until your base is established... did I mention base miles yet?

:laugh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dude7691

this ^^^
Given your low mileage going out for a 30 mile ride is most likely too far, your young and not overweight so try to build on your base mileage 50 miles a week, then 60,70 etc etc until you’ve got miles under your belt don’t worry about speed base miles are key even for veteran riders, I used to ride well over 10k miles a year and once I stopped lower back pain became an issue for me until I built my base back up.

good news is a you do long rides stop hurting (mostly) then you can start adding in faster and faster rides, if it’s possible where you live try and avoid to many hills until your base is established... did I mention base miles yet?

:laugh:
This year I've done 4 or 5 thirty mile rides. I did those averaging around 14-15mph and my back started to hurt probably 20 miles or so in? It would then be a case of standing on the descents and rocking my back to stretch it out as best as I could. My legs and cardio system are comfortable closer to the high 16s or low 17s though. If I start going slower than that well, it feels like I'm not pushing hard enough! I've done a lot of interval training this year, which is why my averages over shorter distances have improved significantly.

I completely understand what you're saying about base miles. I used to do 100k rides once a week (in 2019) at just 12mph, and my back didn't hurt half as much as it does nowadays. Then again I was sat bolt upright, giving no thought to aerodynamics and just focusing on making the distance, in any time no matter how slow it was.

Avoiding hills where I live is an impossibility I'm afraid :biggrin: No matter which direction I go, 1000/ft elev gain per 10 miles is pretty standard for me. I live in West Wales so I hope that makes sense xD Also as weird as it sounds for a new rider I love hills a tonne haha, partly due to my weight but I just love the feeling of hill climbing, it's so satisfying. Gravity is a far more fun advisory than wind resistance in my opinion, or maybe it's just because I have a higher power to weight ratio but a lowish max power ;)

Thank you for your encouragement, appreciate it :smile:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Please also remember that your leg muscles and how you use them have a direct effect on, and are connected to, your back muscles and spine.

Having short hamstrings ( the long muscles on the backs of your thighs) is a very common source of back pain - and sciatica.

I see it a lot in the cyclists, and runners, and footballers in my yoga classes - nothing wrong with those activities but you do need to understand how to remedy the effects on your body of your other activities - then you will enjoy those activities more - and be able to carry on doing them for a long time with fewer injuries - thats all good news huh ??

If you are new to this cycling lark - just try easing off on 'going for the burn' or whatever the common parlance for ' overdoing it ' is - that way injury and sadness lies.

A good programme of stretches - done well - can start to sort this - but you do need some comprehension of what you are doing - and why -

Better still, a teacher or physio who can identify your problems, and can encourage you to work in useful ways..

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I'm not sure about this, upper body definitely agree with you. I'm starting yoga tomorrow because it's clear my flexibility is not up to scratch. As for my legs and cardio, I feel like I'm at a comfortable range with those. I'm by no means going "flat out" all the time, and it is getting easier and easier the more I do it.

Your quads shouldn’t be in pain as you described above and especially not for so short a ride. Back and leg muscles are connected especially when generating power.

OP
OP
D

dude7691

Your quads shouldn’t be in pain as you described above and especially not for so short a ride.
They usually aren't in pain, it was just a byproduct of that new position today, I was using my quads far more than I normally do. Also I was pushing myself pretty damn hard and it's more of a burn rather than a pain if that makes sense?

OP
OP
D

dude7691

Which is all heavily driven by position on the bike, both overuse and tightness at both extremes of setup.
Agree with this. It's logical that moving the saddle forward would engage my quads more, probably too much. My glutes felt like they hadn't even got off the sofa when I got home haha, I try to equalise my use of both, tilting my toes up on the climbs really helps take the load off my quads but sat further forward that technique barely works.

OP
OP
D

dude7691

Stephen Seiler (look him up)

Said the following

“You need to build low intensity durability as a foundation to high intensity repeatability.“

You are only doing the latter from what you describe and is just a path to repeatedly injuring yourself.
Can't disagree with this. I'm a speed demon and I have a real hard time riding along at a slower pace than I'm "used" to. I've signed up for a 500km charity ride (over the month, not in 1 go :biggrin:) so I'm going to use this time to get some distance conditioning at lower intensity in there, and keep my HIIT training for once a week.

OP buy a basic turbo trainer and do 30-45 mins low intensity rides 5-6 days a week keep doing it for a few months and don’t be tempted to start smashing it so avoid games like Zwift your body has to adapt and it will if you ease into it

OP
OP
D

dude7691

Weirdo :rolleyes:

Maybe you should try it as a hair restorer - on toast with a good grinding of black pepper ...
Haha I've never been one for chamois :biggrin: I don't chafe, I'm one of the lucky ones :smile: I wear lycra shorts under my normal shorts though so I guess that helps :biggrin:

Top Bottom