Does my bum look big in this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Apologies for the cheap, fraudulent , attention-grabbing title, but I need advice.

I do short winter commutes on a hybrid at a gentle pace, 10 miles tops, and a few weekend pootles, 20 miles tops. However, sixty mile rides in cold weather look appealing, but nothing at temperatures below -5 degrees C. What should I wear below the waist?

Currently I wear a pair of LJs with jeans on top and waterproof overtrousers when it starts spitting, but that is for the short rides.

My question is this....

Given that I am not (nor ever going to be) a super-athlete, should I stick with my current wardrobe, or are there advantages in making other arrangements. If so, why?

Apologises again.

ASC1951

Guru
slowmotion said:
Currently I wear a pair of LJs with jeans on top and waterproof overtrousers when it starts spitting, but that is for the short rides.
Jeans are heavy, stiff and soak up sweat or rain - there are better garments for almost every use.

I agree, you don't need day-glo lycra for a short ride. Get a couple of pairs of Ron Hill Tracksters or clones, which are light, cheap and very easy to dry. Not really work wear, so if you need the jeans for that, take those with you or leave them at work.

Another advantage is that you won't need the overtrousers, because RHs hold so little water that you don't need to cover them. Overtrousers are hideous to exercise in, particularly cycling, and I can tell you from many years experience that a pair of RHs with LJs underneath will keep you warm enough even in the Cairngorms in the winter.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
having ridden in jeans a fair bit recently I can vouch for the fact that they just don't really cut it. Not a great fit for a bike, at least my ones aren't, and aren't warm or windproof. I've got some bikester style longs but they are a bit dorky. If you want to stay with the relaxed look then I'd suggest some decent lined Winter trousers/cords, or lighter weight ones with some ladies tights underneath. If you need/want padding you can get padded jersey style boxers, some scary looking padded briefs or wear lycra shorts underneath.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
MacB said:
....If you want to stay with the relaxed look then I'd suggest some decent lined Winter trousers/cords, or lighter weight ones with some ladies tights underneath.
:ohmy::eek::tongue:

Back on OP, the RH bikesters are very good but do remind me of the attire worn by 1970s PE teachers. Less than flattering and a little bit revealing of your junk if you're a man.

There seems to be more choice recently. I've just bought a pair of gore trousers for the commute, but there are more casual crossover styles such as these bspoke jobs. Not any sort of endorsement as I've no idea what these are like, but they seem to be towards what you're after.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
these are quite good if you are male and they do a ladies version. Very similar to Ron Hill stuff but easier to buy. I have a pair, mates have them too, we are all happy boys. Decathlon do something similar if you can get to one of their shops.

ranchsliders if I'm going down the pub though

Arch

Married to Night Train
I ride to work in what I work in, Craghopper quick drying walking trousers with waterproof trousers over the top in winter - but that's only a mile and a half. For a longer ride, I'd leave the waterproofs off.

But I think for as much as 10 miles, I'd be in the Ronhills.

BTW, if you do want to cycle in jeans or other less quick drying trousers, perhaps just to the shops etc, Rainlegs are worth a look.

http://www.rainlegs.co.uk/

Not as hot as full trousers, and just enough to shed the rain from the upper thigh, the bit that gets soggiest.

D

Deleted member 1258

For general pottering about and commuting I will use ordinary clothes but for longer rides I use these
http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=22080&categoryID=211
I also have a pair of summer cruisers for when its a bit warmer. I used to wear bikesters but they seem to have disappeared now

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Having gone from riding in jeans to ron hill something or others I can tell you that the RHs are a lot lighter, get less drag and keep you warmer. They dry quite quickly having been in a few fairly bad rain clouds, jeans in winter don't dry at all and only slowly in the summer.

If you want to take civvies just put the jeans in a rucksack and wear them on top at the destination. I think jeans are all right in the summer though.

The RHs I've got are not good to -5C. I'd say to about -2C. If you were out for 6-8hrs I'd say to about 2C.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm really grateful for your kind suggestions, and please keep them coming. Cold weather commutes or weekend pootles are not the issue. I'm only after a warm feeling below the waist for longer cold weather rides. For me, "longer" is about sixty miles (pitiful, I know) , and at no great speed at all. I just aim to stay warm and have no trouble when it starts raining.

Respect to all.

redjedi

Über Member
There's nothing pitiful about 60 mile rides.

For those sort of distances I would suggest you go for the lycra bib tighs, fleecy ones for colder conditions.

I used to be self conscious about wearing lycra so would wear baggy shorts over the top. A few rides with fellow lycra wearers and I soon took the plung and lost the baggies. Haven't looked back since (people behind tend not to look forward either).

Think about when you're wearing any type of clothing on your lower half, it always pulls tight when you're sat down anyway.

DHB bib tights are good and quite cheap.

They keep you warm even when wet, dry quickly and the bibs don't slide down.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thank-you all so much for your advice. I will buy some bib-tights, and see how it goes. My bike cost £450 last June, and my subsequent budget is totally blown what with the computer, lock, insurance, shorts, panniers, rack, gloves (times two) , water-proofs , lights, batteries, charger, tools, pumps, levers, tubes, kits and all the rest. It is quite amazing how much one can spend on this recklessness.

I have retained a small sum for the Rudolph Nureyev clip-on gel cod-piece.

Top Bottom