Does refitting a rear wheel slacken the chain...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I've noticed recently that the chain appears to click and do a slight 'jump' every now and again. I reckon I've done just over 2000 miles on it from new.

It could be that the chain is starting to wear out, but that said, I only started to notice the chain clicks after I fixed a rear puncture. I was wondering if when I refitted the wheel it slackened the chain. Does the rear wheel just drop into its slot when you refit? Any chain tensioning needed at that point?

Maybe the chain is starting to wear out anyway and it had nothing to do with refitting the wheel.

Any thoughts on either the chain or refitting?
I have an '07 Spesh Sirrus. I've had it 1 year from new.

Thanks.

By the sounds of it you nneed a new chain mate. Can you go thow all the gears 1 by 1 and see if it is doing it in all or just some?

gbb

Legendary Member
If you can get the rear wheel off the floor, rotate the cranks slowly and watch as the chain goes over the cassette. If there are any stiff links, it will jump the point it goes onto the cassette.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Ha!
All to no avail...on the way back from work this evening the chain snapped.
I had 5 more miles to go which I did by a combination of walking, scootering and free-wheeling. Now I deffo need at least a new chain.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Dave5N said:
Get a new cassete at the same time.
OK, dave. That's the set of cogs on the back wheel, right? ;)

How much do you think it might cost all-in?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
About £20-25 for a 9 speed rear - if not going for the expensive stuff, and £10-£20 for a chain - depending upon the 'grade' you go for. Don't get a cheap chain.... look on the web - SRAM and KMC are great - but get mid to high level chains.....

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
fossyant said:
About £20-25 for a 9 speed rear - if not going for the expensive stuff, and £10-£20 for a chain - depending upon the 'grade' you go for. Don't get a cheap chain.... look on the web - SRAM and KMC are great - but get mid to high level chains.....
Thanks. Is it a straightforward DIY job? I'd be too scared of messing it up, if it needs fiddly adjusting or special tools.
What do you reckon?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
1 remove rear wheel from bike
2 Take out skewer
3 Buy Freewheel lockring remover and chain whip and chain tool - might add £30 to your bill, but they are essential items for a bike.
4 Use said tools to remove lockring.
5 Slide off old block and refit new one.
6 Tighten lockring with the tool.
7 Chain - shorten chain to same size as one you removed with the chain tool...and if poss buy a chain with a super-link - so you can remove and refit the chain for cleaning (no tools) - but the chain will most likely need to be shortened by a couple of links....

Easy job - beginners one - look on Sheldon Brown for step by step stuff. The problem is, when you first attempt any jobs, you'll have the tool outlay....worth it if you are going to get 'into' cycling in a big way... I have virtually everything I need, unless I go to new equipment - i.e. new BB shells/chainsets...but I've been cycling 22 years....

Don't get scared by it, as it will mean you have a better maintained bike....and it will last longer. I've never snapped a chain in 22 years - full on road cyclist and commuting in all weathers ? Give it a go !

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Cheers, man. I'm gonna go for it.
Where should I buy from? I've used Wiggle before, but only for clothes and accessories.
Can you recommend some place?

bonj2

Maz said:
I've noticed recently that the chain appears to click and do a slight 'jump' every now and again. I reckon I've done just over 2000 miles on it from new.

It could be that the chain is starting to wear out, but that said, I only started to notice the chain clicks after I fixed a rear puncture. I was wondering if when I refitted the wheel it slackened the chain. Does the rear wheel just drop into its slot when you refit? Any chain tensioning needed at that point?

Maybe the chain is starting to wear out anyway and it had nothing to do with refitting the wheel.

Any thoughts on either the chain or refitting?
I have an '07 Spesh Sirrus. I've had it 1 year from new.

Thanks.

is it because that's the onlytime you ever look at it?

giant man

Just want to jump in and ask a quick question, and its probably a silly one but nonetheless, after putting new cassette on and attempting to tighten new lockring, is it just a reverse of taking it off ie. hold cassette with chain whip an tighten in opposite direction, or will lockring tighten without anything holding cassette still? thanks

Top Bottom