Does size matter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Okeydokey

It's more of an engineering question tbh! As a bit of a big lad... I have a road bike little used, and a hybrid (more used). Can fat people safetly ride skinny bikes?

Thanks

Edit: Can't spell!

Last edited:

MikeW-71

Veteran
Define "big lad".

Yes, they can. My first road bike (Defy 2) has a rider weight limit of 120kg (around 19 stone). The wheels would be the concern, so avoid low spoke-count wheels and you should be fine. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Okeydokey

Okeydokey

18 Stone, 6ft (my definition of a big lad). Trouble is when I start to work out, I get down to about 16 Stone and whilst my waste line goes down, quite quickly my weight then starts to go up again. I guess thats OCD for you :sad:

OP
OP
Okeydokey

Okeydokey

I'm more than 18 stone and struggled on a cheap hybrid, but so far so good on my replacement bike... Steel flat bar road bike essentially is what I've got.

Many thanks. I have to admit to absolute ignorance! Steel, I'm guessing is the material, flat bar, being the form of material, road bike I get. Is there a recommended budget brand/model for me to aspire to that you know of?

Dommo

Veteran
As mentioned earlier, you should be fine as long as you have a decent spoke count on your wheels. I'm 98kg and spend my time riding a road bike on 23mm tyres and a hybrid on 28s and it's fine. I find avoiding smashing into kerbs helps! :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Many thanks. I have to admit to absolute ignorance! Steel, I'm guessing is the material, flat bar, being the form of material, road bike I get. Is there a recommended budget brand/model for me to aspire to that you know of?
Flat bar is a bike with flat handlebars, as opposed to drop handlebars (i.e. like on a 'racer')

What's your budget? You should aspire to a bike that fits you, does what you need it to do and that you enjoy riding. We are all different :smile:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Love this vid. Shame Martyn is now in a wheelchair, but he's doing OK with a handcycle apparently.
I just love the soundtrack. It's on my iPod! It has got me up a few hills.

D

Deleted member 22722

I started off on a Giant Defy 1 almost 3 years ago when I weighed around 19.5 stone. Never had any issues at all so you'll be ok. Happy to say I'm a much fitter and healthier 15 stone now thanks to cycling.

dee.jay

Network Ninja
That's briliant - I'm just under that weight and so far so good I've not had a single problem with my new steel bike - I had loads of wheel issues on my cheap hybrid.

sanddancer

Love this vid. Shame Martyn is now in a wheelchair, but he's doing OK with a handcycle apparently.
I just love the soundtrack. It's on my iPod! It has got me up a few hills.

Amazing. Watched it on my phone.
going to watch it on my laptop later for a better view.

What happened that he ended up in a wheelchair, was it one of his stunts ?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Amazing. Watched it on my phone.
going to watch it on my laptop later for a better view.

What happened that he ended up in a wheelchair, was it one of his stunts ?
Yes. While making 'road bike party 2' I believe.

I've been in a wheelchair, only for a couple of years though. He's less of a quitter than I was. He accepted his new reality and got on with it. Mega kudos to him.

sanddancer

Yes. While making 'road bike party 2' I believe.

I've been in a wheelchair, only for a couple of years though. He's less of a quitter than I was. He accepted his new reality and got on with it. Mega kudos to him.

Sorry to hear that saluki.
I didn't mean to be patronising .
As an able bodied person
I get annoyed with myself for wasting days ;)
please feel free to come and give me a good slap ;) :smile:
As long as you bring some cake :biggrin:

so you got out of your chair after 2 years then ?

Top Bottom