Does the bike brand matter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anonymous1502

Are bikes that cost similar amounts are pretty much the same even if they are different brands? If not what brands are good and which ones aren't in your opinion?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Are bikes that cost similar amounts are pretty much the same even if they are different brands? If not what brands are good and which ones aren't in your opinion?
Aye they're all pretty much the same crap knocked up in East Asia. :laugh:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not only are they pretty much the same they could even actually be the same with a different paint job and a few other twists. Giant makes for a lot of major brands so similar bikes could have come from the same factory. Other producers do the same.
A German compan may make a lot out of being a European brand but the bikes will likely be completely made in the Far East or just assembled in Germany from parts made there.

Gunk

Guru
There are only a handful of factories in Taiwan manufacturing frames so your Specialized Allez may well be made on the same production line as your Triban.

Gunk

Guru
...or the same production line as your new Bianchi.

Very true

Brandane

Legendary Member
I am assuming that the OP is going to university in Edinburgh to do a PhD in cycling trivia? :okay:
Anyway, to answer the question; Genesis bikes are the best. No, wait. Specialized are. Hold on, no, it's Trek, yeh, Trek are great. But then, so are Ridgeback, I forgot about them. Silly me, forget all that, Merida, yes Merida; they are the dogs B's.. Actually all those mentioned are great bikes, as are most others. Anything above BSO rating are good in their own way.

gunja99

I think this is a great question and as being relatively new to cycling good to see the answers. Speaking with friends there doesn't seem to be a bad brand or so and some recommended Boardman, Evans and decathlon home brands which surprised me tbh!

Seems snobbery in cycling wasn't there as I expected, or is that reserved just to the lightness of your brake pads and spokes etc hah (that is tounge in cheek to some extent!)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think this is a great question and as being relatively new to cycling good to see the answers. Speaking with friends there doesn't seem to be a bad brand or so and some recommended Boardman, Evans and decathlon home brands which surprised me tbh!

Seems snobbery in cycling wasn't there as I expected, or is that reserved just to the lightness of your brake pads and spokes etc hah (that is tounge in cheek to some extent!)
Nah some of us are very snobbish, I for instance wouldn't ride a Carbon framed bike but then I realise not everyone can afford a quality steel framed bike made by craftsmen. :becool:

Shreds

Bike frames have always been subject to being badged up for other brands, even back in the day when we used to have lots of frame builders in this country.

Relatively few remain and are generally well respected. Mercian etc. The rest are just branded stickers.

The extra money you pay for a true custom build is undoubtedly worth it in the long term but not if you always want ‘this years fashion colour or promoted name’. But you will then never experience the pleasure of riding a bike that goes on and on and lasts a lifetime.

Sadly we live in a disposable age and so many bikes end up rotting away in the shed or garage once the initial enthusiasm wanes. (Probably because the bike is too heavy or goes wrong).

Knowing how to mend the bike yourself is vital both on the road and back at base too!

Top Bottom