Does the bike brand matter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
As an aside, I've worked out that over 17% of new threads on Cycle Chat in the last week have been started by Anonymous 1502. Make of that what you may. šŸ˜„

Well there are two possibilities:

1. As a newcomer to CC and, I think, to cycling he's enthusiastic and embracing our sport.

2. You have too much time on your hands.

šŸ˜„šŸ˜„

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Back to the question, yes I do feel brand or make matters. The two best bikes I've owned are my Cervelo and Dolan. I would go back to both without hesitation. Where the frame was made etc. is irrelevant it's the overall quality of the bike which counts.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
All of the above applies to bike frames. Add in the components attached to that frame and it becomes even more globalised.

I recall a thread while back about British cycling brands and think the conclusion was only Carradice could be deemed truly British. They used UK sourced bits like cotton duck 'n leather and assembled them in Lancs

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I am amazed at the cost of jerseys, etc. And being new to cycling using my running gear for now (including shorts, and amazingly no bottom issues even with 3 hours on the saddle yet!). I would like a jersey for no reason other than having a back pocket, but holding out, and just couldn't believe the prices of most (not just some!)
Check out Altura for Jerseys/Jackets etc. good quality and reasonable prices.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
Personally I'm not bothered where the frames are made, so long as they're decent bits of kit and no one is being exploited. My Felt had a Made in the Sticker on it, but the frame was made by Kinesis in the Far Eat I'm I'm pretty sure that very little was ever bolted together Stateside.

But I do wonder why folk buy bikes from Colnago, Bianchi etc and then rattle on about their Italian heritage, etc. My toe nail clippings have about as much claim to be Italian. By and large they're just brand names rather than genuine brands - such as Genesis, plucked out of thin air by Madison - and that's not necessarily a bad thing at all, but buyers should be wary of believing their own guff.
What is so good about ā€œItalian heritageā€ anyway? It. Is not as if they invented the bicycle, do people believe Michelangelo had a hand in designing their color schemes?

avecReynolds531

Veteran
If not what brands are good and which ones aren't in your opinion?
Yes, I think the manufacturer is important: are their products good value? Does their wealth & marketing budget mean they receive more exposure than others? How do they treat their workers, subcontractors & fellow manufacturers/ competitors?
One example: https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sinyard-takes-responsibility-and-apologises-to-cafe-roubaix-owner/

Why a company think they can trademark the name of a place is another question:wacko:

Also, Greg Lemond received a settlement agreement from another big cycling company.

For some people, where the frame is made isn't relevant: some of us might want to support smaller or local companies: (steel) frames built in the UK don't have to be eye watering in price: Bob Jackson off the peg models, Steve Goff in Skelmersdale...

We choose who to support with our buying & we can choose whether this is important or not too:smile:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
What is so good about ā€œItalian heritageā€ anyway? It. Is not as if they invented the bicycle, do people believe Michelangelo had a hand in designing their color schemes?
These days of modern CAD aided design and manufacture, nothing at all.
But in the history of cycle racing when these things were much more hand-made and designed by experience the Italians were probably leaders (with France probably coming second) in bicycle frame building, artwork/finish and component design, in fact most things cycling; Campagnolo, Pinarello, Colnago, Bianchi, De Rosa etc. Not to mention clothing companies....
These things still make some of us drool just a little bit.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
What would you rather ride? A carbon bike with Bianchi on the downtube or with Boardman on the downtube? The bikes will probably perform identically once adjusted to fit you.

95% of cyclists would probably take the Bianchi if they could afford it. As has been said elsewhere, "if value for money were the only thing that mattered, we'd all drive Hyundais".

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Some bikes handle better/are more comfortable than others, which is down to the knowledge and skill of the frame designer. It's a combination of getting the frame geometry right for a particular size of frame, and the quality of construction.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
As has been said elsewhere, "if value for money were the only thing that mattered, we'd all drive Hyundais Hondas".
Fixed that for you :tongue:

......and buy our bikes in Decathlon.
I'd disagree with that to an extent; while the Decathlon stuff is doubles great value, getting good value doesn't necessarily have to mean cheap (although I freely admit that a lot of the "higher-end" offerings appear to offer abysmal value).

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
I am amazed at the cost of jerseys, etc. And being new to cycling using my running gear for now (including shorts, and amazingly no bottom issues even with 3 hours on the saddle yet!). I would like a jersey for no reason other than having a back pocket, but holding out, and just couldn't believe the prices of most (not just some!)
Check out didoo on Ebay. I am pleased with mine, its a slightly looser fit so possibly not the sort of thing if you want fully skin tight.

gunja99

Check out didoo on Ebay. I am pleased with mine, its a slightly looser fit so possibly not the sort of thing if you want fully skin tight.
I dont have the body for "skin tight", so no worries there. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Rode with a running water proof the other week that flapped everywhere, so will need to bite the bullet soon! :smile:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think as well that most frames are made by Giant and maeda and a few other makers in Asia. Some makers have a great deal of quality control because they have representatives who enforce quality and acceptance limits for them. O thers may not be so strict. Look at Specialized. I think they have always contracted their frame builds, yet their product is excellent. Others, not so much. I saw a frame at the co-op with such undercutting on the welds that we sent the frame for recycling then and there. Even though I had seen the fellow who owned it commute to work on it for several years. Because there is no insurance quite like good quality. And no liability like poor quality control. Three recommendations, which i have learned from my slight experience
1- Learn what good quality and poor quality look like, so you can tell the difference. Look at the low end and high end of good branded bike production, and look for things in common on both. Or just ask some fellows at the local bike shop (LBS).
2- Try to see what the difference in price among bicycles is caused by. Is it truly quality? or quality of components, hung on the same frame? If so, you may buy a cheaper bike, and upgrade components as skill and finances permit. This will be more expensive, but may be more affordable for you.
3- Realize that mail order, while perhaps giving you a good bicycle, does not offer you the luxury of inspecting the machine before you buy it. Also, some bicycle shops fit you to the bicycle, which is very important to the end result, but which can also be researched online. This research will provide you, as the rider, insights which will be very helpful to your own enjoyment.

Top Bottom