Does the bike brand matter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another angle on brand choice is after-sales service and backup, availability of parts and servicing options, warranties etc. Some manufacturers do this better than others - and it isn't necessarily the boutique ones that come out best.
That's why it's best to use bikes with pretty straightforward industry standard bits then you can sort everything yourself. I have ventured in the past into bikes with clever clever bits (looking at you dahon and cannondale) but lessons learned.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Carbon is used in race bikes where weight and performance is critical but for leisure road Machines it really doesn’t offer much advantage . Team bikes only last one season so are essentially disposable. Some people will always want to ride what the pros are riding so consumer machines are sold on the back of that.
You’re really better off getting a steel or aluminium frame and the actual difference is actually very small.
Someone else has said the OP is in Edinburgh.
In which case they shouldn't buy steel as winter road salt will wreck it in short order. It also wrecks aluminium but takes a bit longer.

vickster

Legendary Member
Someone else has said the OP is in Edinburgh.
In which case they shouldn't buy steel as winter road salt will wreck it in short order. It also wrecks aluminium but takes a bit longer.
London now but going to Uni in Edinburgh - already has a bike

Not sure why @Ajax Bay thinks the OP is a she? Could be of course!

Ajax Bay

Guru
@vickster I'm surprised at you. Would you have commented if I had said: "He's bought one already"?
ETA: Do you think all these questions (brand, locks, bikes stolen, accidents) fit a 18 year old male stereotype or a 21 year old female stereotype, or neither?
Just chatting ;)

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
@vickster I'm surprised at you. Would you have commented if I had said: "He's bought on already"?
I just wondered, as I don't recall the OP indicating gender :smile:
Plenty of forum members automatically seem to assume that all posters are male ;) (granted only a small number of us aren't :whistle: )

Gunk

Guru
It is wrong to assume that Asian made frames are crap. The high end ones are as good as it gets and the standard Taiwanese factory frame is well made no matter whose brand it bares. Low end and BSO Chinese frames are sticker branded shite

Not sure how high end China can get at the moment but underestimate at your peril.

the Taiwanese have known for high quality mass produced frames for years. Most of the top brands are made there.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sounds like you're putting out more power than I'm capable of!

To be fair ride-wise I really like my Team Carbon and so far the ownership experience has been good (cack, hastily-replaced brake calipers aside). Objectively / idealistically I'm less keen on the PF bottom bracket, cheapo chainset, and prospect that it's been assembled by an un-caring and poorly-trained Halfords chimp... while I live in perpetual fear of the fork folding beneath me thanks to a few horror stories on the net.

I can't bear to get rid of it, but knowing when I bought it what I do now I'd have looked at something like a used Equilbrium disc instead.
If you want to check out an engineers perspective on carbon frame bottom brackets and the general poor quality of the construction look up 'Hambini'* on t'internet but be warned he swears a lot.

* the guy makes BB adapters for all kinds of CF frame/crankset combinations and is used to tolerances in microns in his work.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
If you want to check out an engineers perspective on carbon frame bottom brackets and the general poor quality of the construction look up 'Hambini'* on t'internet but be warned he swears a lot.

* the guy makes BB adapters for all kinds of CF frame/crankset combinations and is used to tolerances in microns in his work.
Thanks - I'm a fan of his work and while some dislike his blunt and sweary delivery I very much appreciate his educated, insightful, and agenda-free assessment of the frames he encounters.

Luscher Technic (sp?) on youtube is also well worth a watch re. assessment and testing of composite bike bits, if you weren't already familiar :smile:

Ajax Bay

Guru
check out an engineer's perspective on carbon frame bottom brackets and the general poor quality of the construction look up 'Hambini'* on t'internet
Rather than 'generally poor', I think it's reasonable to say that this is specifically an issue with (and difficulty of) the quality control and assurance element of manufacture of BB shells in carbon frames in a factory remote from brand manufacturer oversight. This, combined with a percentage game of choosing to save on net costs by skimping on QC/QA and accepting that the few poor ones that 'slip through' (poor enough to cause aggravation and be recognised as such) will require warranty replacement and the resultant cost.
Some brands seem to get the balance right: others less so (see the last 5 minutes of the videos for the 'quality' ;) scale. I think the graphs showing the different brands and their tolerances and range are informative (if you're going for a carbon frame). And paying more is no assurance of quality.

freiston

Veteran
I am amazed at the cost of jerseys, etc. And being new to cycling using my running gear for now (including shorts, and amazingly no bottom issues even with 3 hours on the saddle yet!). I would like a jersey for no reason other than having a back pocket, but holding out, and just couldn't believe the prices of most (not just some!)
I like to cycle in the long sleeved t-shirts sold for walking/hiking (tbh, I like to wear them almost all the time, on or off the bike). To compensate for lack of back pockets, I use a small waist pack/bumbag. It's not good for getting stuff in and out on the move but it keeps my phone, wallet, keys etc. safe and relatively easy to get to.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Bike geo: there are three contact points you make with the bike. Backside, hands, feets. DO you generaly like the bars higher for a more relaxed position or lower for aerodynamics? Do you like the sitting horizontally close to the pedals thus putting more pressure on the feet or for the saddle to be further back thus giving a more relaxed position. That kind of stuff.

As to bikes made in same factory or production line: true, but the implication shouldn't be they are the same bike. They could be, or they might not be,

The brand itself: if you ride a £5k pinarello or a 5k BTwin then, wait, no BTwin even made a £5k bike? Are Pinarello making a huge profit on that bike? Sure they are. Are BTwin making a huge profit on any of their bikes? Sure they are. That's why companies exist. Do these brands send out different vibes? Yup. Should they? Dunno, up to the observer.

Do the frames feel different? I was VERY skeptical of this until I tried out some frames while using the same wheelset, tyres, tyre pressure, and back-to-back and I was amazed at the differences. The slightly more comfortable yet much stiffer bike was far more expensive than the harsher riding one. Is it worth the difference? Well this is where market segmentation comes into play. If you can afford the more expensive bike, you will justify it's purchase. If you cannot, then you will justify why you dont need the more expensive bike. There are those who can "afford" it but choose not to.

There are those who say to test-ride as many bikes as you can. Yeah, but you won't be buying a bike for a couple of years then. So I normally just go to my favourite bike shop and buy from their selection. Oh, magazine reviews.... don't worry about them. :smile:

Edit: lol i just realized i wrote "feets" but I'll leave it there for comedic value if you are so inclined.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Bike geo: there are three contact points you make with the bike. Backside, hands, feets. DO you generaly like the bars higher for a more relaxed position or lower for aerodynamics? Do you like the sitting horizontally close to the pedals thus putting more pressure on the feet or for the saddle to be further back thus giving a more relaxed position. That kind of stuff.

As to bikes made in same factory or production line: true, but the implication shouldn't be they are the same bike. They could be, or they might not be,

The brand itself: if you ride a £5k pinarello or a 5k BTwin then, wait, no BTwin even made a £5k bike? Are Pinarello making a huge profit on that bike? Sure they are. Are BTwin making a huge profit on any of their bikes? Sure they are. That's why companies exist. Do these brands send out different vibes? Yup. Should they? Dunno, up to the observer.

Do the frames feel different? I was VERY skeptical of this until I tried out some frames while using the same wheelset, tyres, tyre pressure, and back-to-back and I was amazed at the differences. The slightly more comfortable yet much stiffer bike was far more expensive than the harsher riding one. Is it worth the difference? Well this is where market segmentation comes into play. If you can afford the more expensive bike, you will justify it's purchase. If you cannot, then you will justify why you dont need the more expensive bike. There are those who can "afford" it but choose not to.

There are those who say to test-ride as many bikes as you can. Yeah, but you won't be buying a bike for a couple of years then. So I normally just go to my favourite bike shop and buy from their selection. Oh, magazine reviews.... don't worry about them. :smile:

Edit: lol i just realized i wrote "feets" but I'll leave it there for comedic value if you are so inclined.
Thank you for your reply, I am not quite sure yet as to what it is I want from a bike as I don't have much experience riding various bikes. I like to cycle long distances and I appreciate lightweight bikes. That is what I know so far. I am relatively new to cycling so I want to find out as much as possible so I won't have any misconceptions.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Ok, but what are you looking for in your second bike? Lets face it, we all need at least three :laugh:
After doing some more research last night hydraulic breaks seem to be seen as better and I would like to have a better groupset as it seems to be important. I really do wonder what is the difference in riding a bike with a more expensive groupset is like and whether there is actually any difference. I also never tried an aerobike so that's another thing I am curious about.

Top Bottom