Does the bike brand matter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What would you rather ride? A carbon bike with Bianchi on the downtube or with Boardman on the downtube? The bikes will probably perform identically once adjusted to fit you.

95% of cyclists would probably take the Bianchi if they could afford it. As has been said elsewhere, "if value for money were the only thing that mattered, we'd all drive Hyundais".

I agree and disagree. ^_^ It is easy to be dismissive with cost vs perceived benefit where that benefit doesn't make sense to you personally - it is very subjective.

The Bianchi may be made of a higher quality carbon. It may be lighter or more aero or both or all. While the sum of the whole package incl. parts is very significant, even if we only look at a Bianchi Oltre XR4 frame vs Boardman's finest, the Bianchi is the better frame in terms of real measurable benefits depending upon what you are looking for. Naturally, to most, those benefits won't ever come into play but for some they will make a tangible, even if relatively small, difference - whether that is worth it and therefore represents reasonable additional cost is up to the individual concerned to decide.

The Bianchi would represent a poor choice in terms of value for money to someone who would not benefit from the advantages it may offer or if the person buying one had to stretch somewhat to afford it. Value for money depends largely upon the value of that sum of money vs income to the individual. Still, I would agree that the Bianchi would be regarded by most as being of less value for money vs the Boardman.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Check out didoo on Ebay. I am pleased with mine, its a slightly looser fit so possibly not the sort of thing if you want fully skin tight.
Ooh matron!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I think carbon bicycles would be a point where quality control would be critical. And hard to determine, as well.
Indeed; this is why I'll never buy another... having been blinkered by naivity and lack of knowledge first time around. I love the bike for what it is, but there's always that nagging doubt in the back of my mind.

Steerer-tube failure seems an especially popular cause of CFRP-specific catastrophe but there's unsurprisingly little appetite on the part of the manufacturers or their lapdog industry media to acknowledge and address these issues; seemingly taking the time-honoured route of keeping a lid on the incidents that do occur and buying off those involved with out-of-court settlements.

As wonderous as CFRP is as a material, I think it's intrinsically unsuited to safety-critical consumer products; especially at the entry level where owners and suppliers are unlikely to be aware of / respect the material's perculiarities and attitudes necessary to stave off premature failure.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Carbon is used in race bikes where weight and performance is critical but for leisure road Machines it really doesn’t offer much advantage . Team bikes only last one season so are essentially disposable. Some people will always want to ride what the pros are riding so consumer machines are sold on the back of that.
You’re really better off getting a steel or aluminium frame and the actual difference is actually very small.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I don't actually like carbon much. I appreciate the weight but the big tubes make the bikes noisy on rough roads and they can feel dead. My Boardman Team Carbon - not the top end of the market, I appreciate - has too much flexibility at the rear to be able to use the biggest sprocket. This may be down to the wheels and I'm going to build a more conventional 32-spoke set to see if that solves the problem. If if doesn't, I'll get a steel frame and swap the bits over.

Are bikes that cost similar amounts are pretty much the same even if they are different brands? If not what brands are good and which ones aren't in your opinion?
Are you thinking of buying one?

Ajax Bay

Guru
She's bought one already. At uni (even in Edinburgh), noone will give a tupenny f' except if it looks nice with a recognisable brand they 'll think "That's likely to get pinched".

Last edited:
It is wrong to assume that Asian made frames are crap. The high end ones are as good as it gets and the standard Taiwanese factory frame is well made no matter whose brand it bares. Low end and BSO Chinese frames are sticker branded shite

Not sure how high end China can get at the moment but underestimate at your peril.

What is so good about “Italian heritage” anyway? It. Is not as if they invented the bicycle, do people believe Michelangelo had a hand in designing their color schemes?
There was a discovery a while ago of a Leonardo drawing of a bicycle. But it turned out to be a hoax.

Some brands come with lifetime frame warranties etc, others don't. It's not always are clear cut as it seems. Some offer better after sales support, etc. Choose wisely.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I don't actually like carbon much. I appreciate the weight but the big tubes make the bikes noisy on rough roads and they can feel dead. My Boardman Team Carbon - not the top end of the market, I appreciate - has too much flexibility at the rear to be able to use the biggest sprocket. This may be down to the wheels and I'm going to build a more conventional 32-spoke set to see if that solves the problem. If if doesn't, I'll get a steel frame and swap the bits over.
Sounds like you're putting out more power than I'm capable of!

To be fair ride-wise I really like my Team Carbon and so far the ownership experience has been good (cack, hastily-replaced brake calipers aside). Objectively / idealistically I'm less keen on the PF bottom bracket, cheapo chainset and prospect that it's been assembled by an un-caring and poorly-trained Halfords chimp... while I live in perpetual fear of the fork folding beneath me thanks to a few horror stories on the net.

I can't bear to get rid of it, but knowing when I bought it what I do now I'd have looked at something like a used Equilbrium disc instead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom