Does this frame look bent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
So what are your credentials in evaluating any materials?

I know that it's easy enough to punch a jagged hole through fibre/resin composite materials if you whack them hard with a steel hammer. The structure fails. Apply the same impact to a steel or ali sheet material and you put a dent into it and stretch it, but it doesn't crack.

I know that it's easy enough to punch a jagged hole through fibre/resin composite materials if you whack them hard with a steel hammer. The structure fails. Apply the same impact to a steel or ali sheet material and you put a dent into it and stretch it, but it doesn't crack.

So you are just guessing.
The answer to your theory is not necessarily. If you hit any structure in the wrong plane it can break. I can show you some pics of failed tool steel and aluminium that has cracked when a significant force has been applied.
Carbon can be immensely strong, if it is designed and built that way, hence the reason it is used in aircraft, F1 racing etc.
My bike has proved your theory wrong. Compare with the steel bike the OP has posted. It looks like a force applied from the front, hence the bent forks, and I would guess damage to the frame that you cannot see. My carbon frame and forks had a huge head on impact and it is perfectly fine.

screenman

Legendary Member

Put a dent in a tube and you have a very weak point in the tube.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Irrespective of any damage to frame and fork in the OP, the offset resulting from the 'pushed back' fork will be so short that it would be unrideable - the steering (which is dependent on a combination of head tube angle and offset) would be too responsive.
a few carbon repair companies told me that if the paint is not damaged they would be 99% sure the carbon is ok
So not 100% sure then?
More sure than the steel frame that has bent rear stays after being rear ended. I didn't need anyone to tell me that was 100% scrap.
How can you be more sure than 100%? Just asking.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
You can straighten steel forks without concern — 2 or 3 times. However, there's no way to tell from the pic whether the downtube is also creased. As others have said, with a frame of that quality, it probably ain't wurf it.

Top Bottom