Does your local Oxfam or other charity shop accept bikes and bike parts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Mine got a bit iffy over a small stack of nearly new (ok I admit it and in some cases brand-new never used before the project went in another direction) parts and was adamant they couldn't take a whole bike.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
No, but is there a local charity bike scheme? My local one called Streetbikes will take bikes, parts, etc. and turn them into working bikes which are then donated to those in need of one.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 4874496, member: 76"]Put them on Freecycle?[/QUOTE]
I am repelled by my local freecycle groups. Too long a tale of woe, but no.

"Will your dishwasher fit my kitchen?"
"When you say I have to collect, can you deliver it?"
"Sorry I didn't collect it on Saturday but I was watching the rugby and now I've changed my mind"

My local clubs forum is almost as bad. May even be the same time wasting soul suckers for all I know. Giving stuff away is fraught with challenge.

"This stem is oversize" "Yes I said that in the ad." "I don't want an oversize stem" and "It's a green 58cm frame you say?" "Yes" "Are you sure?" "About it being 58cm?" "Yes" "I'm sure?" "how does that compare with a Trek 58cm frame" "I've no idea but I included a link to the geometry" "And it has to be green?" "Well, err, um, pretty much yeah."

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I gave up on freecycle when I spotted a sofa I delivered to someone was sold within a week on eBay for over £150.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I gave up on freecycle when I spotted a sofa I delivered to someone was sold within a week on eBay for over £150.
That as well. Fridge Freezer. Guy turned up in a Luton with several other ff's in the back.

Now you could say "What business is it of mine that they sold it?" and you'd have a point. But somehow it don't sit well.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Pretty sure I've seen kids bikes in the local hospice charity shops
Flat refusal from my local hospice shop and...

#1 son saw a table he thought his flatmates in London might like. Took some pictures, got the nods, organised the transport, went back and...

"What the actual....?"

"When we saw you taking such an interest we took another look at it and doubled the price."

Which has cost them a monthly DD.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I must say I don't really get that attitude. If these were saleable items, why didn't you just sell them? If someone else is prepared to go round collecting saleable stuff and putting up with the hassle of selling it on to make a living, that seems reasonable enough to me. Freecycle isn't a charity that vets people's morality and intentions, it's just a free and simple way of getting rid of unwanted stuff without dumping it in landfill or a country lane.
Yes, as I said. You'd have a point.

Freecycle is an org which does encourage people to make responsible disposal decisions via enabling gifting. If someone then decides to flog their gift that is down to them.

In the case of disposal of saleable items; I'd rather give away than sell in a lot of instances.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I must say I don't really get that attitude. If these were saleable items, why didn't you just sell them? If someone else is prepared to go round collecting saleable stuff and putting up with the hassle of selling it on to make a living, that seems reasonable enough to me. Freecycle isn't a charity that vets people's morality and intentions, it's just a free and simple way of getting rid of unwanted stuff without dumping it in landfill or a country lane.

Freecyclers are not supposed to receive to make a profit. I had numerous people call about the sofa's and I explicitly asked if they would be sold on as I wanted to make sure they went to someone who really needed them. The fact that I was brazenly lied too p!ssed me off, it is not about the money I could have made from a sale.

Top Bottom