Does your partner cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My wifre refused to take up the cycling bug for 8 solid years whilst the rest of us raced, cruised and sportived our way around the country. Once the kids left home she started to take it up but then dropped it again. She has recently started again but now refuses any advice on how to do it. Her cadence is way too slow ( 70) and she tries way to hard ( a average heart rate of 185 for a hour is Helen Wyman territory and should not be emulated by a beginner.) I now dont comment, she will calm down soon I hope or keel over. I must say though she has a very proffessional like pedalling technique though very fluid, knees in correcct line etc.

lee1980sim

Not really, she's cycled 18 miles so far this year along the TPT, this took almost 3 hours (not including the hour we stopped for a rest)

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Ludwig- get a tandem, you'll never be alone again.... in a good way... then your speed is only dependent on how much you both push on the pedals [you can tell]. It's great for getting really good work-out training while your partner can contribute as much [it's like having electric assist], or as little, as they want.

+ they are in control of looking around, passing the sandwiches and drinks and generally keeping the conversation going while you get your breath back at the top of hills.

+ the photos!
View attachment 91575
It's not easy taking a photo eating a cheese and coleslaw roll.

Cheese & coleslaw....?xx(!!!!!

MarkF

Guru
I have to moan, sulk and whine to make her cycle with me, but when she eventually does she always says how much she enjoyed the day/ride. It's all mind games but I can't work it out and we've been doing it 20 years. :wacko:

My better half is so quick I have given up trying to keep up with her, I just follow in the car now :rolleyes:
5B542D6E-F308-47FC-8679-42D48A9FF30F_zpsbndo8ysc.jpg

Mrs V commutes to work every day by bike about a 6 mile round trip... doesn't drive, so cycles, walks or gets chauffeured about... (funny though she knows enough about driving to tell me why I'm doing it wrong)

she's now using quite a nice Boardman race... which if the seat is raised could make a very nice N+1 for me if she gets fed up with it:whistle:

gbb

Legendary Member
My wife does, primarily short distqnce commuting. I did set up a spare roadbike for fer once, she rode with me a few times, but it doeant really do it for her (more distance).
We ride modestly regularly together at weekends or of the weather is nice (last night we did 10 miles on the hybrids).
The irony is, she can go on a bike..she doesnt hang about despite having been a smoker most of her adult life, I dont potter along if we're together, I have to keep up...sounds odd, but if we're together I'd just as rather potter along, but no, shes like a pocket rocket.
If I could have got her into roadbikes and distance, she certainly wouldnt have disgraced herself.

...when she came off and punctured her leg...

There's a picture of her bike on the electric bikes board. Here she is now on an earlier model. It is unclear to me if she is hopping on or off, or do-si-doing.

View attachment 91628
I really think legs should come with Schwalbe marathon plus type protection

Top Bottom