Does your partner share your interests/hobbies...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mrs. S might ask what a strange bird is.

She's found out about Arch then?

My wife is not as fanatical as myself, but tours, shops and day rides by bike.

A little slower than me, but this is simply a different experience.

col

Legendary Member
With all the hobbies iv touched on,you name it,golf ,art,fishing ,shooting,modelling,astronomy,sports of different types,ect ect,and now back into cycling,i get called an anorak:smile: all in fun mind,when i said i was going to dust the old bike of my wife and son just rolled their eyes and sighed:laugh:

I read uncle morts thread and thought id add,we have been very happy for nearly 30 years now;)

Mrs apero bought an Elops 3 or 4 or something from Decathlon in Beziers. She now chugs around and is very content to do a bit of 'velo'. Latest addition is a massive, purpose built basket on the front so Jack (Russell) the dog gets to sit in the front on his way to Bedfont Lakes.
As her parents are French, it is inbred the 'love of velo'. Her Dad is 72 and has just bought himself an Orbea Orca - with a compact chainset - and he talks at length about the subject which means that, yes, I can get away with murder when it comes to buying bits and bobs..." ...well, your Dad said it would be handy etc...":biggrin:
Generally supportive rather than sharing I suppose. I don't have 'hobbies' otherwise, although I draw, design, photograph, build, don't watch TV much, like reading other's stuff on this forum... on Facebook etc...fun is the key.
She likes American soap, CSI and all that crap, Neighbours, Home and Away bull****. nothing in common there.
I love the solitude of the bike - not racing around, or even the challenge of hauling a lump of flesh up a long slope, or whizzing down - just that feeling of... well, you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

Pete

I wonder if this thread ought to be taken the other way round: "Do you share in your partner's interests and hobbies?".

Well, my wife likes writing, short stories and poetry especially. She's no mean poet, though she denies it. Now, I don't know much about it, I don't 'do' poetry (limericks excepted :rolleyes:), but I've looked at some of her poems. I don't really understand them but I think they're good. Well, loads better than most of the other poems, written by amateur poets, that you see plastered all over the internet these days, at any rate... I honestly can't say I share this. Only encourage.

As for me, well the astronomy stuff is a bit of a loner's hobby anyway. She doesn't take part in the serious telescope work, the photography, except to look at the final results. She does lend a hand in some of the setting-up where help can be useful. And when I have the eyepiece in and want to show her something, Jupiter for instance, or M57, she takes a look (sometimes she sees better than I do). But the long night sessions, it's just me, the scope, the camera, the owls and the bats.

Cycling? We do quite a lot together now. She rides a hybrid, not particularly fast or far, while I have a road bike, but we can do 25 miles together at a gentle pace - say three hours. Sometimes I plead for solitude, say I want to do a longer faster bit on my own. So I go off alone. But as I get older and unfitter, that's getting less and less. Assuredly the weekend shopping is always a joint venture (four rear panniers).

We share the wildlife and foodie interests, at any rate.

stephec

Legendary Member
My missus developed an interest in the tour this year. She saw David Millar being interviwed after a stage and pointed out, "ooh, that's him who autographed your programme isn't it?" in a kind of mmm way.

I have his autograph in my programme from one of last seasons Revolution events (as well as Roger Hammond's, Bradley Wiggin's, and Jimmy Casper's)

She doesn't seem to remember those though for some reason!

Keith Oates

Janner
My wife is not really interested in cycling but when I'm getting ready to go out, she normally fills the drinks bottle and puts it in the cage, always washes the 'gear' after every ride and several other small bike related things. So I have no complaints!!!

SamNichols

I don't have a partner, but my last two girlfriends (i hesitate to call them 'partners' as I am still quite young) shared absolutely no interests with me whatsoever. In fact they were quite scathing about my climbing gear (I only got into cycling recently). Most people outside the climbing/hillwalking world are aghast that I can spend £60 on a fleece, whereas most within it are fairly well adjusted to it.
I guess that within the affairs of the heart, some degree of sompromise is necessary and as long as you get along, and love each other, then your hobbies don't matter whatsoever.

Still, I am still looking for that elusive climbing, cycling, academic loving girl to come across the horizon.

SamNichols said:
I don't have a partner, but my last two girlfriends (i hesitate to call them 'partners' as I am still quite young) shared absolutely no interests with me whatsoever. In fact they were quite scathing about my climbing gear (I only got into cycling recently). Most people outside the climbing/hillwalking world are aghast that I can spend £60 on a fleece, whereas most within it are fairly well adjusted to it.
I guess that within the affairs of the heart, some degree of sompromise is necessary and as long as you get along, and love each other, then your hobbies don't matter whatsoever.

Still, I am still looking for that elusive climbing, cycling, academic loving girl to come across the horizon.

Ah - you need to book a rock an' roll lover Sam! :rolleyes:

simoncc

My partner took an interest in my hobbies while we were going out, but not any more now that we are hitched. In my experience this is quite normal girlfriend/wife behaviour and I'm glad to be able to pursue my interests without her in tow. If she threatened to come and watch City with me I'd stop going. She no longer requires me to accompany her while she pursues her main hobby, shopping, and I'm grateful to her for that.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
MrsP does not like cycling, although she has a bike but has not been on it for over a year. She does not going to the pub much either as she gets tippsy on one glass of wine. She only comes out walking on a warmish day. She prefers to drive the car to work, but she only works three miles away, with plenty of bus route close by. I prefer to cook from scatch whereas she will open a packet or a jar at every oppotunity. She prefers beach holidays in the sun to my walking/ cycling/adventure style hols. So no, we don't share many hobbies/pastimes, but we have been married for 26 years so far.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Mrs Fnaar and I have almost bu99er all in common! I like sporty things like cycling and running, she's not into them at all. I also enjoy a rollicking good pint or several, she's the sober sort. I like both surreal comedy (Monty P etc) and also the obvious stuff (Carry On, Norman Wisdom etc), she finds them tiresome! However, somehow or other, it seems to work, as long as we have a bit of space! Been together now for 17yrs, so..... :rolleyes:

Edit: Mrs F tells me it's 20yrs....what happened during the other three then? I'm all confused now....

gavintc

Guru
I am so lucky, I met her canoeing in the Northern Canada on a wilderness expedition and we enjoy very similar outdoorsy activities. She cycles well and we are departing tomorrow for a 3 week cycling holiday in France. Life is good. I cannot imagine being married to someone who did not share the same passions in life. Weekends and evenings are just so short not to spend them with your partner.

CycleWidow

Hmm, perhaps I may be the odd "wife" of the bunch! I am totally supportive of hubbys passion for bikes and cycling...even bought him his first Trek for the birth of our son two years ago (Had a daughter in January and he is hinting towards a Planet X....I think that is taking it a little too far!!). I try to make sure he gets as much time on the road as possible...can be a tad grumpy if not had his usual fix of cycling. In fact during my maternity leave and recovering from a C-section (now back to work), as nothing good on the TV, I became engrossed in the "old" forum....ahem....and have followed your threads ever since, with his Ok of course. My aim is to join him, with the family once they are older, and get on a bike again. Until then will just enjoy him enjoying his hobby and remain a CycleWidow for the present!!
CW
PS You may have guessed that I am new. Have at last found the courage to join in, hope you all dont mind the odd post here and there. Oh and Shaun, from an observers point of view "well done this is a fantastic forum to read".

yenrod

(stands up in the cyclists anonymous groupo:biggrin:) Though not married my interest/s are cycling and a few other things but cycling is what has been my lifes since I was 16yrs and have experienced every emotion in a bike to do with a bike.

She is more of a dreamy, picture music type.... And as much as I can judge a good picture etc...

Cycling does it for me.

Its interesting how much other halves on here don't share interests is it just sex that does the biz ?????

Top Bottom