Does your partner share your interests/hobbies...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...or just put up with them?

I have been a rock guitarist for 30 years (as a hobby) and I am good at it...bloodywell should be as well after that time...anyway....during that time the Mrs has put up with all the cash seepage and all the rubbish which goes along with a hobby like that....but she never once showd any interest. Now I have a new hobby, cycling...and still she shoes no interest...it's peeing me off a bit I must admit:wacko:.

I was just wondering if it's just mine or are other women/partners so indifferent? I just dont get it...after 28 years together she still shares no interest in my interests...weird...mind you..I have no interest in dogs, reading or cooking either....maybe I'm the indifferent one?...i'll just put it down to the mysterious female mind and move on...

...just ranting/venting...don't mind me....I'm off to conquer a few b%stard hills...cu later.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
The missus has no interest in bikes at all. She's coming to SITS next week for the socail side of it. and she makes cake for me and friends, but is not at all interested in the riding part.

She'll happily watch the tour though, but she will use this as leverage to get shopping trips, meals out, clothes, bags, shoes, trips away, holidays, gifts, chocolate, tea, massages etc

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I guess I'm lucky cos my wife likes cycling and I go with her sometimes. Actually, the other day I did not wake her up for the morning ride, I just took off but on the way back I saw her on her bike and she said, "why didn't you wake me up, I wanted to ride with you" :rolleyes:

Rick

Aint Skeered

No, unfortuantly. I rarely mention cycling, as I get accused of being too anal about it. But that's life.
I have often heard people raving on about their partners, you know the thing "he /she is my best friend, we think as one" etc etc.
Next thing you know they've split up!
But the fact is we are still together, and have been through quite a bit over the past few years.
So you will just have to accept it mate, or perhaps take up something she likes.

My other half and I share exactly the same interests and that's partly why we got together....the only difference is that he prefers freeride and shore (not keen on the woodwork myself) and I like road and touring (funny combination, but hey). We both really love XC mtb as well. Unfortunately this means that we both spend disproportionate amounts of money on bike stuff and there's nobody to tell us not to. Other than that we like the same kind of music, film, art etc. It's a good start I guess...

I'm about as lucky as chap can get. :blush:
Met the delicious Bagonabike through the old C+ forum and got married last year. :biggrin:
Because we're both so keen it means that for me, cycling is a way of life and not just a time-expensive hobby that I'm only allowed to do if I've got a pass and can negotiate the inevitable 'well, we have to visit my mother next weekend then' compromises.
PS - I like my mother in law btw, but you get my drift. :rolleyes:

Bigtallfatbloke said:
...or just put up with them?

I have been a rock guitarist for 30 years (as a hobby) and I am good at it...bloodywell should be as well after that time...anyway....during that time the Mrs has put up with all the cash seepage and all the rubbish which goes along with a hobby like that....but she never once showd any interest. Now I have a new hobby, cycling...and still she shoes no interest...it's peeing me off a bit I must admit:wacko:.

I was just wondering if it's just mine or are other women/partners so indifferent? I just dont get it...after 28 years together she still shares no interest in my interests...weird...mind you..I have no interest in dogs, reading or cooking either....maybe I'm the indifferent one?...i'll just put it down to the mysterious female mind and move on...

...just ranting/venting...don't mind me....I'm off to conquer a few b%stard hills...cu later.

My interests are shooting, skiing, cycling, hillwalking and bird watching. Mrs. S might ask what a strange bird is, but that's about the extent of it. We've been together for 30 years.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
My wife doesn't do more than ride a shopper bike. She is not at all interested in my cycling activities, though she does like me being fit! She also does not like the same music as me in most cases, or read the same books. However we are both interested in cooking, gardening, collective living, ecological things... and more importantly than all that, we love and respect each other.

bugslop

The wife has no interest in cycling what so ever and can't begin to understand the reasoning behind five bikes and thinks keeping one upstairs in the spare room is ridiculous. Being able to have an hour on the bike of an evening on my own is a good way to unwind.

wafflycat

My husband positively encourages me to get out on the bike. He's bought me all my current stable of steeds. He does not whinge at all if I say I'm off out on the bike. He looks after all my steeds and keeps them in tip-top condition. If I've been out on the bike all day, he has a meal waiting for me when I get back home. He'll pick me up from miles away if I'm stuck somewhere.

We all cycle: husband, son & self. Husband & I are leisure cyclists and the offspring does time trials.

I can't imagine being in a relationship with someone who doesn't share the same interests and encourage said interests.

chris42

My wife rides as well.
Has a Trek 5.2 but after having our second child in Jan has not ridden much.
She has been to Italy with me and ridden big 1000m+ mountains.

asterix

Comrade Member
Mrs A cycles occasionally.. but no further than 4 miles at a time and never faster than 8 miles an hour or up hill:ohmy: Fortunately York is flat; she won't cycle in France but has done so in Holland.

Top Bottom