Dog advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Ignore the trip to the vets advice. They'll examine him and tell you that he's off his food for blah blah reasons,then present you with a eye opening bill. My dog goes days where he eats very little then he pigs out for another few days. This is normal behaviour according to the veterinary nurse(half a pint of lager for the info) down the pub.

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
As a rule in our house, dog treats are only for training purposes and for when we get back from leaving him on his own for a significant amount of time and the chicken was just to make sure he was eating something. Although lasagne is on our menu tonight so he'll probably turn his nose up at any dog food once he sniffs that out :rolleyes:

buggi

Bird Saviour
Dogs ain't stupid. Not only can they easily suss out who in the room is most likely to give them a treat, they can also tell who's got the best tasting food from our expressions.

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Dogs ain't stupid. Not only can they easily suss out who in the room is most likely to give them a treat, they can also tell who's got the best tasting food from our expressions.
Yeah I agree. My previous dog (boxer) was full of character but as stupid as you can get. However our 8 month old collie x retriever's brain is constantly working. My daughter is desperate to start agility training with him, so come spring I can see many a weekend jumping through hoops and crawling through tunnels

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Our collie x lurcher will do the same given a chance, as will the lurcher x shepherd. They look at their food like it's from outer space, but when realising it's that or nothing they will eat up. Treats are for training and recall on walks. On occasion they will get beef/chicken/pork (whatever roast we had) chopped up and mixed with their regular dinner, usually results in it being hovered up quick..

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My Millie-dog regularly goes off her food but will eat something different when offered. She gets bored and needs a change off food from time to time. She had a Pedigree Pouch Senior this morning as she decided that Natures Choice is not good enough for her. Giving her a change for a few days, before going back on the good stuff, seems to sort her out.

Before going to the vet, and wondering if it's something life threatening, check your dog's teeth. There might be something stuck in his teeth that is putting him off eating. Common as chips, as a problem. Vet will charge you and arm and a leg for a 'dental' for just pulling a bit of debris from between two teeth and probably suggest a short term pain killer and A/Bs, just in case. Not all vets are like this, but there are quite a few about who will charge for anything they can think of. After all, you are a worried and overwrought owner who will just go along with anything the professional suggests. At least you are in the vet's mind.

Dogs will rarely starve themselves. Take the food away and offer it to him later. No food in the meantime as he might well decide to snack on sweets/treats and ignore proper food. Who wants sprouts when you can have lovely chocolates. Same with dogs.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...

Best (or worst) of both worlds...

chocolate-brussels-sprouts.jpg

Top Bottom