Dog advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Who wants sprouts when you can have lovely chocolates.
Totally OT

Neighbour of ours used to hate "Trick or Treat" seeing it as organised mugging with parental support

They used to take broccoli, or sprouts, dip them in chocolate and then give them to the kids

Watching their faces as they bit into the "Treat" to find it was a "Trick" with them as the victim

Levo-Lon

Guru
Ignore the trip to the vets advice. They'll examine him and tell you that he's off his food for blah blah reasons,then present you with a eye opening bill. My dog goes days where he eats very little then he pigs out for another few days. This is normal behaviour according to the veterinary nurse(half a pint of lager for the info) down the pub.

think my daughter in law may disagree as she has to routinely operate on dogs that have swallowed string socks garden debris etc even tho the dog is still eating.
vets do like animals too and lots do work for very little or nothing.

the op's dog may well be faddy but its their choice I guess.

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Thanks @Saluki , good thinking I will check his teeth. Although he's destroying a huge tennis ball as I write this so they're Probably ok ha ha
image.jpg

Saluki

World class procrastinator
[QUOTE 3522506, member: 76"]Our dog is never off his food. In fact he gives the plates in the dishwasher a going over everytime we are loading it! He eats everything and anything, some butter today, the remains of a curry yesterday, a packet of ham an advent calendar all sorts! Yep, if you want a consistent eater get yourself a beagle :hungry: :mrpig:[/QUOTE]
Ah. Pre-washing the crockery. Our lot do that too, although we don't have a dishwasher, we have a Greyhound who is tall and counter-surfs.

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
[QUOTE 3522506, member: 76"]Our dog is never off his food. In fact he gives the plates in the dishwasher a going over everytime we are loading it! He eats everything and anything, some butter today, the remains of a curry yesterday, a packet of ham an advent calendar all sorts! Yep, if you want a consistent eater get yourself a beagle :hungry: :mrpig:[/QUOTE]
That reminds me of Xmas 2013 when we went shopping the day after Boxing Day and stupidly left the drained fat from the turkey on the side. Even though it was tucked way back in the corner, the sod still managed to get hold of it and eat the lot. Needless to say I was cleaning up after him all night after that. Couldn't help but laugh when we imagined him running round with this plastic jug stuck on his head.

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Hi @Saluki
He turned his nose up at his usual dry food again so I mixed in some tinned stuff. He ate most of it but still left a lot of the dry. His teeth seem fine also.
Thanks

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Hi @Saluki
He turned his nose up at his usual dry food again so I mixed in some tinned stuff. He ate most of it but still left a lot of the dry. His teeth seem fine also.
Thanks
It rather sounds like he's gone off his regular food. Our little Jack Russell does this fairly often. The others will eat anything but the wee JRT is a fussy fusspot.
It might be worth getting your vet to give him the once over though, especially if it's just hard food he's not eating. Tinned food is soft.

brand

but obviously I'm a tad concerned as he usually has us up by 6.30am to be fed. Is it worth me trying to change his food incase he's simply bored with the current brand.
I'm no stranger to dogs but this seemed weird, Iv never had a dog that's been bored of food before
Is the dog lethargic? If so Vet. If not only take it to the Vet if you have loads of money like "regulator" and nothing to spend it on.
Dogs don't get bored with a brand of food, if he liked it before he will like it now. The manufacturers could have changed the ingredients.
How about a mix of dry and wet?
Why are you giving him treats? What has he done to deserve it? Treats are for training. For when a dog has done something well, not as a source of food.
Are you overfeeding the dog or under exercising it (relative to food) Not all dogs will if offered excess food eat it. Don't feed for 1 or 2 days and see if he eats it all up then.
I wouldn't definitely do half and half wet and dry it is more natural.
Note long term use of the same dog food (6months) particularly tinned, with a sudden change to another brand will result in short term diarrhoea.

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Is the dog lethargic? If so Vet. If not only take it to the Vet if you have loads of money like "regulator" and nothing to spend it on.
Dogs don't get bored with a brand of food, if he liked it before he will like it now. The manufacturers could have changed the ingredients.
How about a mix of dry and wet?
Why are you giving him treats? What has he done to deserve it? Treats are for training. For when a dog has done something well, not as a source of food.
Are you overfeeding the dog or under exercising it (relative to food) Not all dogs will if offered excess food eat it. Don't feed for 1 or 2 days and see if he eats it all up then.
I wouldn't definitely do half and half wet and dry it is more natural.
Note long term use of the same dog food (6months) particularly tinned, with a sudden change to another brand will result in short term diarrhoea.
Most of the questions you asked have been answered previously in this thread. As I said he's fine in himself (definitely not lethargic). Treats are only for training purposes, also as mentioned. And again as mentioned I have already mixed with dry and wet which seems to have done the trick as he has eaten the lot both this morning and tonight.
Definitely just bored of having the same grub day in and day out

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Quite right there. I think a lot depends on breed. Beagles do get bored with dog food, and I have to switch from time to time. But my dogs are also omnivorous, and like their vegetables. (no onions, mind) I've one little Elizabethan Beagle that only likes a little human food every now and then, and doesn't eat much at all, generally. Like your dog, she's full of energy, and her health is just fine.

Top Bottom