Dog attack.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sittingbull

Veteran
I met a friend earlier and he was on crutches. It turns out that last week a "pit bull type dog" dragged him from his bike and then set about savaging his lower leg. He's a big strong bloke and repeatedly punched the dog's head but it was locked onto his leg. Somehow this ended and he spent 5 days in hospital and had 2 operations, including a skin graft. He is in some discomfort but should be OK once his wounds have healed.

This got me thinking, cyclists get chased by dogs from time to time and I've had the odd nip. If I can, I try to put a bit of distance between myself and the dog. Sometimes stopping will make them lose interest because the chase is over. How could you defend yourself against an aggressive dog? Hitting it with a pump would be futile. Trying to kick it would be like feeding it another leg. Are there any legal sprays that work? Startle it with an AirZound?

The dog in this incident has been impounded by the Police and I should think it's fate is certain.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Richard's Bicycle Book recommended putting your bike in between you and the dog. I would say hit the dog with the bike would be more effective than hitting it with a pump.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Having to unclip the old spd'd foot and leg to use as a lance is becoming quite a habit around my town's park where i do some laps.:dry: Not so much devil dogs(though i have posted about being attacked in the past) but stupid owners who throw balls in the road for their dogs to chase because "there are no cars about", but knowing that i'm about yet disregarding me as insignificant.:dry:

Are there any legal sprays that work? Startle it with an AirZound?

The dog in this incident has been impounded by the Police and I should think it's fate is certain.

There are legal sprays - I think the website is www.bite-back.net but too lazy to check! The spray is definitely called Bite Back.

It's a difficult one as its a horrible situation to be in. Personally I wouldn't worry enough to carry a spray, but then Ive never been attacked, or chased - my views may change if I was.

Stonepark

Über Member
U
nfortuneatey for the answer for a dog where the red midt has come down is to kill it, your life is at risk and you are allowed to defend yourself any way you see fit.

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
At about the 90 mile point on my first imperial century last Sunday, I came across a large and quite agitated German Shepherd. This was in the middle of a thunderstorm - which I guess had freaked it out a little more.

There was no way that I was doubling back this close to the ton so I just kept my cool and rode past - very very slowly. It took some nerve - especially as it ran towards me. Fortunately, a car coming in the other direction drew it's attention - allowing me to Foxtrot Oscar pretty sharpish.

May have been a different story if it had been a psychotic pit bull - but I do think that holding your nerve, staying calm and not giving it anything to chase is the best policy.

Raise the hand, palm forwards, as if making a STOP gesture.

Stand straight and still apart from the hand, which can be raised slightly as you speak.

In an authoritative voice say "Sit!"

I saw this on the television in my youth. It works every time. The dog will be as putty in your hands.

The woman who demonstrated it was the mother of the writer W Somerset Maugham.

If not, then probably.

I hope this has helped.

But I fear it may not have....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I assume going at the eye's in a vicious attack from a dog would be fairly effective.
Somebody told me that certain powerful dogs (including Pit Bull types) have a kind of ratchet mechanism in their jaws which locks the jaws shut unless they decide to unlock them! You would think that having your eyes gouged would put you off, but it would not surprise me if a Pit Bull would 'bite to the death'!

Many years ago, before the Pit Bull ban came in, I saw a pair of them chained up outside Spar in Hebden Bridge. At the time, I did not know what breed they were, but they looked so intimidating that I chose to step off the pavement and walk past them on the road. As I drew alongside them, one of the dogs snarled. I looked at him and saw that he had something in his mouth. He bit down hard and blood started to drip out of his gums. There was a sudden loud cracking noise as he finally bit through what turned out to be half a house brick! I thought then that I wouldn't like one of those dogs to take a dislike to me!

BSRU

A Human Being
According to a QI I watched recently, to release the lock jaws you need to shove something up their anal passage, a pen being the preferred suggestion although may not be practical.

Crankarm

Guru
Vicious dangerous dog breeds such as pitt bulls should be exterminated. There is no need to have them. Period.

If the box jelly fish had legs and could survive on land then I would get one of these to defend myself against vicious dogs. A bjf can sting 30 times quicker than a death adder which is the snake with the fastest bite reflex.

compo

Veteran
Raise the hand, palm forwards, as if making a STOP gesture.

Stand straight and still apart from the hand, which can be raised slightly as you speak.

In an authoritative voice say "Sit!"

I saw this on the television in my youth. It works every time. The dog will be as putty in your hands.

The woman who demonstrated it was the mother of the writer W Somerset Maugham.

If not, then probably.

I hope this has helped.

But I fear it may not have....

I wonder if this lot tried that:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19097338

Maylian

Veteran
Somebody told me that certain powerful dogs (including Pit Bull types) have a kind of ratchet mechanism in their jaws which locks the jaws shut unless they decide to unlock them! You would think that having your eyes gouged would put you off, but it would not surprise me if a Pit Bull would 'bite to the death'!

Many years ago, before the Pit Bull ban came in, I saw a pair of them chained up outside Spar in Hebden Bridge. At the time, I did not know what breed they were, but they looked so intimidating that I chose to step off the pavement and walk past them on the road. As I drew alongside them, one of the dogs snarled. I looked at him and saw that he had something in his mouth. He bit down hard and blood started to drip out of his gums. There was a sudden loud cracking noise as he finally bit through what turned out to be half a house brick! I thought then that I wouldn't like one of those dogs to take a dislike to me!

:ohmy:

I had heard about the locking jaw, but biting through a brick is just insane! I am still a big believer of the Croc Dundee method, with most dogs that look intimidating I stare down but never had to contend with being on a bike as well.

I was once cycling through a park and a Great Dane was just bounding along keeping pace with me for fun, I realised that I would probably not be able to out drag it should the need arise. Pretty sure I could out pace a pitbull but again never had to try.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
[QUOTE 1964768, member: 45"]His original book talked about more than just defending yourself...[/quote]
I've got that. I think we spoke about it before and it really does have some very forthright advice about dealing with dogs. It was a laugh out loud moment for me when I read it and I'm very glad to have the original version.
I think trying to keep the bike between you and the dog is a good plan if at all possible but if the little bugger has already clamped it'self on then I might try his other advice which was to go for the testicles if it has them.

Top Bottom