Dog hair problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Try owning a GSD, my Sabor got nicknamed 'tufty' twice a year it came out in handfuls a bit like this one

1616058586211.png

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's a Hoover cylinder thingy,with a pipe you have to drag rather then push,as it has quite a powerful suction. It sucks everything up,but not all dog hairs. I've vacuumed,then used a pan and brush after,to find many hairs in the pan.

That won't do the job. We have a Vax steerable pet (previously a Dyson Animal) and that pulls up all cat fur - we've 4 long haired cats and 1 short hair, and we get tonnes of fluff.

You need one with a powered rotating brush bar. Shark do one that supposedly cuts long hairs to stop it wrapping on the brush bar, but they aren't cheap.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Groom your dog more often yourself. Ive always had terriers, and they need their undercoat combing out and the top coat stripping off twice a year to keep them in top notch. You should be grooming a dog once a week, and more often in moult. Take it off the dog then you won’t have to vacuum.
Bleach is the bigger challenge for you. It’s toxic for you and your dog, and it’s dioxins and compounds when flushed down your sparkling drain never die, and poison wildlife.
Groom more. Scrub harder. Life’s a b***h.

gbb

Legendary Member
Did the dog always shed ?.
If it did, regular brushing and grooming may make it worse...as advised by a vet regarding our fox Red lab some years ago. Grooming stimulates shedding so it might be best to avoid. Our lab at that time was just ridiculous, have a play fight with it and you'd be plastered in sticky hair. Hoover gloors twice daily, no difference it was relentless, never did find a usable solution. Diet was mentioned by the vet, but we didn't find a cure.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Did the dog always shed ?.
If it did, regular brushing and grooming may make it worse...as advised by a vet regarding our fox Red lab some years ago. Grooming stimulates shedding so it might be best to avoid. Our lab at that time was just ridiculous, have a play fight with it and you'd be plastered in sticky hair. Hoover gloors twice daily, no difference it was relentless, never did find a usable solution. Diet was mentioned by the vet, but we didn't find a cure.
I’m not sure why you advise the OP to not groom his dog, aside from your own experience with a dog that may have had a food intolerance? Grooming is also useful to bond with the animal, and to catch any early signs of ill health, aside from being the norm for a responsible owner. A matted, unhappy animal and a full vacuum doesn’t seen like much fun to me.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Stick a pair of trainers or other rubber soled shoes on and drag your feet on the carpet. Amazing the amount it picks up and at least a bit quicker than rubber gloves!

gbb

Legendary Member
I’m not sure why you advise the OP to not groom his dog, aside from your own experience with a dog that may have had a food intolerance? Grooming is also useful to bond with the animal, and to catch any early signs of ill health, aside from being the norm for a responsible owner. A matted, unhappy animal and a full vacuum doesn’t seen like much fun to me.
Because a vet told me personally grooming stimulates the very thing you want to stop, excess hair loss .
But it never hurts to question what you're told by a professional....and as it was a long time ago and I never questioned it then, I've just done a search...and probably agree with you, I cant really find anything to confirm his 'professional' advice so I will concede it may have been poor advice by me :okay:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Because a vet told me personally grooming stimulates the very thing you want to stop, excess hair loss .
But it never hurts to question what you're told by a professional....and as it was a long time ago and I never questioned it then, I've just done a search...and probably agree with you, I cant really find anything to confirm his 'professional' advice so I will concede it may have been poor advice by me :okay:
Oh, sure. I’m with you. A vet tells you something, and you take it verbatim at the time. in my case because I’m focussing on getting out quickly without having to auction my kidney! Anyhow, pet hair is a non-story. You’ve got a dog, you’ve got hairs on your carpet.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
When my parents had Old English sheepdogs, (4), my Mum found one of their own brushes used to pick up loose hair from the carpets, just as it would from the dogs' coats. Something like this.

Top Bottom